2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Some people are very upset over the Peacock thing.   It's $6 a month, it's no big deal, but I think folks probably need to get used to the fact that free football on TV is probably going away within a decade.   Can't do it so much with sports that have 80 - 162 games a year, but for those precious 12-18 games of football?   Yeah, people will probably have to pay soon.  Better get used to the idea. 

Oh, you'll get free college games.   Enjoy Eastern Michigan vs. Northern Illinois.    

the big games will all be on network tv for the forseeable future.  that's where the eyeballs are and that's where the ad money is.

for now.

ECU certainly is an inferior opponent but atleast if you go by what they were last year they are far from a total cupcake. Last year they won a bowl game and finished in the top 50 in BPI and SP+, better than alot of B1G and SEC teams. So even though the outcome doesn't look super impressive at first glance if you switch the ECU name to say Kentucky, Purdue, Illinois or Arkansas(all of whom ECU finished ahead of in metrics and record) nobody would bat an eye. 

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

That was fine and about what I expected.  If I had a concern, it would be non-dominance in the run game.   Defense was good.  Our special teams cost us some points.  Need to give Moody DNA to the new kid. 

it was one game so hard to judge.  oline didnt look all that great considering the opposition (although ecu is - by reputation - a very well coached team).  like tcu, osu, and almost every non-sec defense michigan plays, ecu sold out against the run.  but jj is an upper classman now and he tore them apart in the passing game.

as long as jj is healthy they should overwhelm any team on their schedule not named penn state or ohio state.

if i have a worry about the offense its that they dont have a game breaking receiver.

and kicker.  kicker is definitely a worry.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

ECU certainly is an inferior opponent but atleast if you go by what they were last year they are far from a total cupcake. Last year they won a bowl game and finished in the top 50 in BPI and SP+, better than alot of B1G and SEC teams. So even though the outcome doesn't look super impressive at first glance if you switch the ECU name to say Kentucky, Purdue, Illinois or Arkansas(all of whom ECU finished ahead of in metrics and record) nobody would bat an eye. 

they had to replace most of that team because all their good players transferred through the portal.  

but again, theyre a well coached team by reputation.  i would expect they'll be a 7 or 8 win team on that fact alone.  

they looked better than hawaii did last year.

Just now, buddha said:

they had to replace most of that team because all their good players transferred through the portal.  

but again, theyre a well coached team by reputation.  i would expect they'll be a 7 or 8 win team on that fact alone.  

they looked better than hawaii did last year.

Yeah wasn't sure how different the team was last year but last years team was alot better than many B1G teams. They lost by 1 on the road to a then number 13 NC State team and only 2 to Cincinnati who was in the CFB the year before. 

17 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Peacock experience just feels like lining up at a MEPS for medical exam.  We’ve all been drafted and we just have to pay.  Damn them and the horse they rode in on. 

the picture is better.  the inability to record it sucks.  still the same inane announcer talk.  were all just a bunch of old men shaking our fists at technology clouds.

i remember my dad complaining about cable and having to "pay" for tv!

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Jon Jansen is a commentary star but while Karsch is a clear upgrade over Brandstatter and describes the plays well and promptly, he has an odd voice for PBP. 

And it was a bit raspier than usual today. But overall this is a good radio team. But that the Tigers had picked as well. (I mean for their TV team!)

Edited by gehringer_2

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Anyone have or know where to get viewership numbers on the game?

a lot of the streaming services are now working with nielsen to get numbers for viewership.  however, it appears that peacock is not one of them yet.  if theyre just releasing their own numbers, i'm skeptical.

but nbc turned down an easy 3.5-4 million viewership game.  i also wonder what the numbers on peacock will be.

nebraska/minnesota was 3.5 million on thursday.  in contrast, yankees-tigers was about 400k.  liverpool game was 650k.

I love Mike Tirico as a PbP but this was egregious.  I wonder if he was just as clueless as the audience because it sure seemed like an INT

East Carolina's fourth drive was their longest of the game, going for 32 yards, and it was led by a new QB: Alex Flinn. The veteran seemed to calm the Pirate offense down and got them moving, but then fired a seeming interception to Michigan corner Josh Wallace. It appeared to your author that Wallace secured the catch with both feet in bounds, but after review, the call was overturned. Peacock never showed us comprehensive replays or explained why it was overturned, so your guess is as good as mine. Nevertheless, Sainristil broke up a fade and Michigan forced another punt. 

24 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I love Mike Tirico as a PbP but this was egregious.  I wonder if he was just as clueless as the audience because it sure seemed like an INT

They never explained it but after looking at the replay it appeared that the ECU got part of his hand on the ball for a fraction of a second while his foot was out of bounds thus ruling the ball immediately dead. 

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

They never explained it but after looking at the replay it appeared that the ECU got part of his hand on the ball for a fraction of a second while his foot was out of bounds thus ruling the ball immediately dead. 

This is what Karsh said on the radio broadcast, but they had issues with Peacock too, particularly during replay reviews, when they were trying to tell the audience if JJ had crossed the line or not and Peacock wasn’t showing anything relevant.

14 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Fans of other teams seem really upset that Harbaugh has the support of his team.   If Ted Lasso was based on anyone as it was supposed to be based on Harbaugh, then this would have been a normal thing to have seen from the team.

It seems like just the other day that Michigan fans were the ones really upset that Harbaugh had support of his team.  

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It seems like just the other day that Michigan fans were the ones really upset that Harbaugh had support of his team.  

Harbaugh is a weird idiosyncratic dude.   [deleted entire political point that ran several paragraphs of problematic appreciation for his weird idiosyncrasies]

• Thanks 1

I thought the “free Harbaugh” stuff was a bit ridiculous. What are we freeing him from? Watching his son’s game instead of making millions coaching what was effectively a preseason game? Give me a break. Let’s have a little perspective, he’s not oppressed.

At the same time, I also don’t really care. I’m sure it was player-led, and young adults that age do stupid things. It wasn’t so bad that the university needed to step in and stop them like the Northwestern nonsense.

I’m sure the NCAA and their ego won’t like it though. May make it more likely they throw the book at Jim when all this plays itself out.

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I thought the “free Harbaugh” stuff was a bit ridiculous. What are we freeing him from? Watching his son’s game instead of making millions coaching what was effectively a preseason game? Give me a break. Let’s have a little perspective, he’s not oppressed.

At the same time, I also don’t really care. I’m sure it was player-led, and young adults that age do stupid things. It wasn’t so bad that the university needed to step in and stop them like the Northwestern nonsense.

I’m sure the NCAA and their ego won’t like it though. May make it more likely they throw the book at Jim when all this plays itself out.

meh. The players are allowed to have independent opinions -- as long as that is what they were. If someone from the staff put them up to it then it would be quite a different matter, otherwise it tough cookies for the NCAA if the players don't like them.