2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

if the ncaa were actually serious about its rules, tennessee would be banned from the post season for a long time.

but theyre not.  so they have to tweet out that "its not a cheeseburger" thus telling everyone that it is, in fact, a cheeseburger.

• Sad 1

Michigan is too cowardly to actually stand up to the NCAA and Harbaugh is too defiant to bow to them.

If Michigan had the balls, they would have told the NCAA to pound sand, that he wasn’t going to be suspended, and that the institution would not cooperate in any further procedures or investigations. And if they try to suspend him, put him on the sideline anyway. You think other Big Ten schools, let alone ESPN and FOX, will stand for Michigan forfeiting games because their head coach is on the sideline? It would expose the NCAA for the frauds they are.

Of course, if Harbaugh would just lie (again) and say “oh I’m so sorry, I lied and I’ll never do it again woe is me”, they would have said four games is sufficient and walked away with their pompous noses raised.

Instead Michigan is trying to toe this ridiculous line and appease everybody while the NCAA is trying to maintain relevancy and it’s going to end in some absurd penalty being levied on Harbaugh for what amounts to a bunch of nothing-burger nonsense during a nonsensical period of sport during a literal plague, overseen by an incompetent and spineless organization

2 hours ago, buddha said:

if the ncaa were actually serious about its rules, tennessee would be banned from the post season for a long time.

but theyre not.  so they have to tweet out that "its not a cheeseburger" thus telling everyone that it is, in fact, a cheeseburger.

Michigan is pleading guilty to a cheeseburger and daring the NCAA to actually prove anything more. It's a strategy that could work.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, MIguy said:

Michigan can't just ignore penalties dished out by the NCAA, that's just silly to suggest.   Obviously they committed violations or they wouldn't be imposing the 3 game ban.  

I agree that Michigan broke rules, so long as you accept the premise that NCAA rules and investigations matter. If you refute that, and say the NCAA is obsolete and needs to be replaced, then there is no need for punishment.

Why can’t Michigan ignore them then under the belief the NCAA needs to go? If the NCAA is as spineless when it comes to football as everyone knows they are, why can’t Michigan ignore their football related activities, including levied suspensions? It would piss off a lot of people, but it would probably spur the movement to an independent body away from the NCAA for D1 Power Five football alone.

They could try to punish the entirety of Michigan Athletics, which would certainly have an impact, but there would be a whole lot of push back on that too. I’m not sure they’d get away with it.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Or there is way more and the self-imposed time out keeps the other dirt out of the spotlight.

I don’t think there is more per se. I just think that the NCAA cares a lot more about lying to its investigators and not owning to it after the fact than the average college football fan… and more than they should, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think there is more per se. I just think that the NCAA cares a lot more about lying to its investigators and not owning to it after the fact than the average college football fan… and more than they should, to be honest.

and you can see how Harbaugh was the perfect foil for this. While he's not full out delusional, Harbaugh is definitely a guy that entertains a skewed perspective of many things. He's exactly the kind of person that would really believe he was right about something most other people would look at, shake their heads and say "Jim, I think you're wrong"

27 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

To be fair, you're probably right and I'd go as far to put on my tinfoil hat as to say that they are under a microscope due to the fact that Jimmy recruited in the heart of the south and this is a bit of payback. That said, there ain't a college program that is squeaky clean and the possibility exists that they made a deal to keep larger sins in the shadows.

33 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

To be fair, you're probably right and I'd go as far to put on my tinfoil hat as to say that they are under a microscope due to the fact that Jimmy recruited in the heart of the south and this is a bit of payback. That said, there ain't a college program that is squeaky clean and the possibility exists that they made a deal to keep larger sins in the shadows.

I don’t think it’s out of bounds to suggest that the NCAA is putting him under a more harsh microscope, but I think it has more to do with who Harbaugh is (as gehringer was saying) than what he has done.

Despite their decade of mediocrity before Harbaugh, Michigan is a blue blood college football program, among many SEC schools, Ohio State, USC, etc… They aren’t some pariah program trying to upend the way things are done. An example of that might be Colorado and Prime Time, if he tries bending the rules and doing things his own way.

But Harbaugh (in addition to being a good coach) has such an ego. His personality is as large as the game itself. He is just not the type who is going to bow to the NCAA’s bigwigs, retreat to his office with his tail between his legs, and take his punishment on the chin. He insists on having the last word, or putting his spin on whatever is going on. Meanwhile, the NCAA is the King of Big Egos. So you have a battle of egos going on.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

They haven’t violated any rules…. Yet…. That they’ve been caught for…..

Deion Sanders is the Red Army wrecking its revenge on East Prussia in 1945 or the Mongols sacking Badhdad in 1258.  There is no way he's adhered to rules about feeding recruits.  

• Like 1

Some people are very upset over the Peacock thing.   It's $6 a month, it's no big deal, but I think folks probably need to get used to the fact that free football on TV is probably going away within a decade.   Can't do it so much with sports that have 80 - 162 games a year, but for those precious 12-18 games of football?   Yeah, people will probably have to pay soon.  Better get used to the idea. 

Oh, you'll get free college games.   Enjoy Eastern Michigan vs. Northern Illinois.