2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

10 hours ago, buddha said:

81Yd7F4rlVL.jpg

If Michigan players had thrashed an MSU player beneath the stadium -- at the instigation of a Michigan assistant coach -- what would the punishment have been?  I can imagine it would have been pretty dire. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

If Michigan players had thrashed an MSU player beneath the stadium -- at the instigation of a Michigan assistant coach -- what would the punishment have been?  I can imagine it would have been pretty dire. 

sure, but that's a mere violent assault.  this....THIS....is a HAMBURGER.

and that's obviously much more important than mere life and death.  how dare you lie about a hamburger to the ncaa.

19 hours ago, buddha said:

brian kelly kills a kid.  georgia has more speeding than daytona speedway.  but michigan gets a coach suspended because he bought a kid a hamburger and then wouldnt kiss the ncaa's ass over it.

Harbaugh might be the guy to bring this up, too.  I honestly hope he does.

29 minutes ago, buddha said:

sure, but that's a mere violent assault.  this....THIS....is a HAMBURGER.

and that's obviously much more important than mere life and death.  how dare you lie about a hamburger to the ncaa.

Littering and causing a disturbance. 

Even resident Harbaugh hater Paul Finebaum said this suspension is absurd and that "the NCAA is a clown show for suspending him for essentially buying a kid a hamburger"(his words). Also prefaced that hell must be frozen over since he is actually sticking up for Jim for a change. 

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even resident Harbaugh hater Paul Finebaum said this suspension is absurd and that "the NCAA is a clown show for suspending him for essentially buying a kid a hamburger"(his words). Also prefaced that hell must be frozen over since he is actually sticking up for Jim for a change. 

I first learned what a clown show the NCAA was when they screwed Jamal Crawford* and it's only gotten worse since then.

*Crawford landed on his feet and had a fine NBA career, but no thanks to the NCAA.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I first learned what a clown show the NCAA was when they screwed Jamal Crawford* and it's only gotten worse since then.

*Crawford landed on his feet and had a fine NBA career, but none of that thanks to the NCAA.

I don't think anything major came from it but I remember years ago Arizona got some infraction cause Bill Walton took his son and then Az player Luke along with Luke's friend/teammate Richard Jefferson to an NBA Finals game or something.  Supposedly that "gift" was against NCAA rules so that is one of the cases that always sticks out to me when talking about egregious penalties by the NCAA.

Mike Valenti warning Michigan fans not to go the night game at Spartan stadium should require some statement from MSU AD that they will do everything in their power not to create a violent situation for fans attending the game.  Otherwise, WTF are we even doing with sports in this country.    M shouldn't play the game if its going to be an open invitation to violence. 

Is there any data supporting that night games are more dangerous or result in more dangerous behaviors (e.g., binge drinking)?

I feel like if young students are going to drink on game days (which, spoiler alert, they are), it might even be better for that drinking to be spread out across a day where they are eating, are active, and are doing stuff, rather than them waking up at 6:00am to start drinking before a noon start and be plastered by 10:00am.

I could see arrest data increasing with night games, but there is a chicken and the egg problem there because you're increasing the time of the event. Of course more arrests will occur from 12:00pm to 12:00am on a night game day event than from 9:00am to 4:00pm on a noon game day.

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Is there any data supporting that night games are more dangerous or result in more dangerous behaviors (e.g., binge drinking)?

I feel like if young students are going to drink on game days (which, spoiler alert, they are), it might even be better for that drinking to be spread out across a day where they are eating, are active, and are doing stuff, rather than them waking up at 6:00am to start drinking before a noon start and be plastered by 10:00am.

I could see arrest data increasing with night games, but there is a chicken and the egg problem there because you're increasing the time of the event. Of course more arrests will occur from 12:00pm to 12:00am on a night game day event than from 9:00am to 4:00pm on a noon game day.

(PDF) Alcohol-Related Fan Behavior on College Football Game Day (researchgate.net)

Although not an exhaustive list, suggestions for promoting a healthy game-day environment include alcohol-free game-day alternatives,  increased enforcement of underage drinking, having designated tailgating areas on campus, and limiting the number of tailgating hours.

There are charts and graphs in the journal article.   There are also other journal articles cited in this work. 

Edited by romad1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Mike Valenti warning Michigan fans not to go the night game at Spartan stadium should require some statement from MSU AD that they will do everything in their power not to create a violent situation for fans attending the game.  Otherwise, WTF are we even doing with sports in this country.    M shouldn't play the game if its going to be an open invitation to violence. 

they dont care about that.  in reality, tv would LOVE it if there were incidents so they could talk about and get more people to watch.

michigan and michigan state should care, but they are beholden to whatever their paymasters at fox tell them to do.  they signed the contract, they live with the consequences.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Valenti's continued both-sideism regarding the tunnel brawl is disgusting. Just admit your players on your team were wrong and leave it at that.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I had always heard that Michigan football is most popular around Detroit and Ann Arbor, but Michigan State is more popular outstate, so I was a little surprised to see this map from NYTimes.

image.thumb.png.5fc825d649ae05dea447413c8ca59473.png

Popularity is nebulous, it has degrees, and it ebbs and flows in time.

Michigan is a legitimate national championship contender while MSU is coming off a 5-7 season, headed potentially for another. Michigan will have more casual popularity.

If you survey 200 random people at a grocery store upstate, you might find 125 people who say they prefer Michigan to 75 Michigan State. If you survey 200 upstate yards with school flags though, you might find 150 MSU to 50 Michigan. 

I don’t know how they did their polling, but the line between the UP and Wisconsin is way too pronounced for me to think it had much if any scientific accuracy.

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Popularity is nebulous, it has degrees, and it ebbs and flows in time.

Michigan is a legitimate national championship contender while MSU is coming off a 5-7 season, headed potentially for another. Michigan will have more casual popularity.

If you survey 200 random people at a grocery store upstate, you might find 125 people who say they prefer Michigan to 75 Michigan State. If you survey 200 upstate yards with school flags though, you might find 150 MSU to 50 Michigan. 

I don’t know how they did their polling, but the line between the UP and Wisconsin is way too pronounced for me to think it had much if any scientific accuracy.

They based it on each team’s Facebook likes broken out by ZIP codes, which explains the borders you’re referring to. It may or may not reflect reality, but I surprised because of what I’d come to learn about it for years.

Edited by chasfh