2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

I really hate the fact that there are only 3 good teams in the B1G and the fact that we don't face 1 of them till November. Don't get me wrong I love seeing blowouts but my favorite part of watching Michigan or CFB in general is the feeling of those big games and we obviously haven't had any of those yet. 

BTW I did that "Playoff Predictor" on ESPN where you can pick how different outcomes would play out and according to that if Michigan loses to Penn St. or OSU but still gets to the conference championship and wins it they have like a 60% chance of making it, if they lose to 1 but don't get to the Conference Championship that number plummets to just 23%. Not sure how the tiebreaker would work if all 3 teams end up with 1 loss but as of now it seem pretty imperative that Michigan wins that if they were to lose to one of those teams.

Also if for some reason they were to lose to somebody other than them two but beat both of them and finish as a 1 loss conference champion their chances are 89%. 

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Can we curb the talk about JJ being anywhere near Caleb?     He's good, but he's not dominant.

I haven't watched Williams so I won't argue how good he may be, but JJ is at least the best all around QB we've seen at UM since maybe Harbaugh himself. And that Brady may be the NFL GOAT doesn't count as he never showed that at UM.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I haven't watched Williams so I won't argue how good he may be, but JJ is at least the best all around QB we've seen at UM since maybe Harbaugh himself. And that Brady may be the NFL GOAT doesn't count as he never showed that at UM.

I was too young to watch Harbaugh play but in my 30 some years of watching Michigan he certainly has the most talent that I have seen save for maybe Drew Henson. Yeah they haven't played anybody this year but there's a saying "scout the player, not the opponent" and doing that you can see the ability of McCarthy. 

You see him throw darts moving to left(TD against Nebraska comes to mind), throwing lasers in the crease, moving around in the pocket well, ability to pick up yards scrambling, ability to go through progressions and arm strength to throw balls in tight windows. Basically everything you look for in a QB.

42 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was too young to watch Harbaugh play but in my 30 some years of watching Michigan he certainly has the most talent that I have seen save for maybe Drew Henson. Yeah they haven't played anybody this year but there's a saying "scout the player, not the opponent" and doing that you can see the ability of McCarthy. 

You see him throw darts moving to left(TD against Nebraska comes to mind), throwing lasers in the crease, moving around in the pocket well, ability to pick up yards scrambling, ability to go through progressions and arm strength to throw balls in tight windows. Basically everything you look for in a QB.

dennis franklin and rick leach were a little before my time, although i remember some of leach's games.

harbaugh was the best michigan qb i can remember.  brady was actually pretty good even if no one remembers because it goes against the myth that he was benched for henson.

denard was a special qb but brady hoke was too stupid to play to his strengths.  gardner too.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

brady was actually pretty good even if no one remembers ..

Part of it was they never asked Brady to do too much - whether that was because they didn't see the capability or because it wasn't there yet is a question lost in time.

Rick Leach was never a great QB. He was a good runner and he was Bo's boy and was going to play no matter how well he did or didn't or could or couldn't do. To the point that Bo insisted on playing him through the end of his last season when his shoulder was so torn up he literally could not throw the ball 10 yds. But that just meant Bo had all the more reason not to call any passes!

Edited by gehringer_2

Next Saturday night is going to be a disaster in East Lansing, whether Sparty loses or wins.    A night game after the events of last season in the tunnel, with drinking allowed and a very angry nothing-to-lose fan base at MSU has the makings for disaster...........better ban all sales of lighter fluid, matches and futons this week. 

Seriously, I see a pending disaster.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Next Saturday night is going to be a disaster in East Lansing, whether Sparty loses or wins.    A night game after the events of last season in the tunnel, with drinking allowed and a very angry nothing-to-lose fan base at MSU has the makings for disaster...........better ban all sales of lighter fluid, matches and futons this week. 

yup.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don’t know. I’m sure there will be a problem or two, like there always has been, but otherwise I’d bet on a pretty subdued Sparty fanbase.

They’re one of seven P5 schools who have yet to beat another P5 school. They’re bad bad and their fanbase knows it. Keeping it within 30 will likely be a win. Their students will show of course, and they’ll be drunk of course, but if it’s out of hand by halftime they’ll head to Rick’s and Harper’s to call it a night. I just don’t think there will be the spirit for a fight, in the team or in the fanbase.

On top of that, I’m sure Barnett has the entire university admin on top of him to ensure there is not an event like last year. They’re a bad football team that is already in the midst of a PR disaster. The last thing they need is another tunnel fiasco.

I think it’ll be a 49-7 game that is over quickly and quietly.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t know. I’m sure there will be a problem or two, like there always has been, but otherwise I’d bet on a pretty subdued Sparty fanbase.

They’re one of seven P5 schools who have yet to beat another P5 school. They’re bad bad and their fanbase knows it. Keeping it within 30 will likely be a win. Their students will show of course, and they’ll be drunk of course, but if it’s out of hand by halftime they’ll head to Rick’s and Harper’s to call it a night. I just don’t think there will be the spirit for a fight, in the team or in the fanbase.

On top of that, I’m sure Barnett has the entire university admin on top of him to ensure there is not an event like last year. They’re a bad football team that is already in the midst of a PR disaster. The last thing they need is another tunnel fiasco.

I think it’ll be a 49-7 game that is over quickly and quietly.

I am not talking about football or the locker rooms or PR,  I'm talking about the streets of East Lansing.    The cops better clamp down on things early.   That's the disaster I was thinking about.     Their fans may be subdued, but they are also angry.   Cedar Village is usually the epicenter of it all. 

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am not talking about football or the locker rooms or PR,  I'm talking about the streets of East Lansing.    The cops better clamp down on things early.   That's the disaster I was thinking about.     Their fans may be subdued, but they are also angry.   Cedar Village is usually the epicenter of it all. 

They got really really somber after the shooting.   A lot of life was drained from the place.  Per the son who is currently attending.  The hate machine might be lacking a fourth gear. 

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just don't see the vigor required for a riot. There might be a clown or two, but they're in such a desolate place as a team and an athletic program that shaking their fists at clouds and lighting couches on fire will just embarrass themselves (more than it already does when they do it regularly).

They have a right to be angry based off of what Tucker did and how he left the program, I just don't think there is going to be some collective uprising because there is a night game against Michigan.