2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

41 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I saw some Michigan fan tweet about "what is Stephen Ross doing?" and i'm like...screw these f'in billionaires as saviors.   Of course they do have the ability to change the World with their eyebrows.  What if our billionaires suck?  What if they want to replace the dollar with bitcoin?  What if they want everyone to change their underwear twice a day and insist that it be worn on the outside so we can check?

He’s already got a football plaything in the Dolphins.   Michigan is his side piece.  

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He’s already got a football plaything in the Dolphins.   Michigan is his side piece.  

his company produced the plans for the proposed new white sox stadium.  there was speculation this morning that maybe he might buy the team when reinsdorf sells/dies.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

as long as NIL is the thing, a single big donor is going to be able have a big impact - which is one of the reasons that at any given time, most the teams want to see the NIL system end in favor of something they can better control. But even with big donors, most want themselves memorialized, and NIL is an ephemera - it's paid and gone; there is no remembrance, so I think the number of guys doing what Knight is doing is probably going to fall as the novelty wears off.

collective bargaining and a salary cap.  

1 hour ago, buddha said:

collective bargaining and a salary cap.  

Should be interesting. How do you manage a union with members that here and gone in 5 or less years - sometimes only 2 and all that money on the table? The 'low stakes' unions at the University of other short term employees like GSIs don't seem to function very well, at least IMHO.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Should be interesting. How do you manage a union with members that here and gone in 5 or less years - sometimes only 2 and all that money on the table? The 'low stakes' unions at the University of other short term employees like GSIs don't seem to function very well, at least IMHO.

i dont know, but that's where it is going.  that's where it HAS to go.  there will have to be contracts that provide teams with stability re: rosters and players re: money.

then the ncaa's job becomes enforcing the cap when ohio state cheats and pays everyone extra under the table.  oh, and cheeseburgers.

6 hours ago, romad1 said:

According to Sam on the Mgoblog roundtable today, he says that NIL money cannon was being deployed to keep the dudes in Ann Arbor.  Apparently, there is a lot of effort from other programs to poach. 

i've read mgoblog since the blogspot days and the episode following the natty was a good listen for all of us old timers.  that said, i get a little tired of the homerism from seth and craig, and the cynicism from brian.  i'd rather just listen to sam.

i swear to god, seth thinks michigan's players and coaches are all geniuses and every other team is just so poorly coached and cheats.  its annoying.

but i still listen and read because its the most in depth sports blog out there.  has been forever.  alex drain is really good, so is his substack.

Changelis story about NIL at UM

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2024/02/08/michigan-wolverines-nil-efforts-get-boost-from-university/72242043007/

She reports UM has raised $6M, and think they need $10M.  I think they'll be pretty lucky to get there. $15M is probably a more reasonably competitive number at your average top 10 school, so they are at the bottom of the hill looking up. I'm a broken record on this but I just can't see there are many schools - maybe ND, OSU, A&M, USC and a couple in the SEC, where that level of annual outside fundraising can possibly be sustainable. But even if the rest of the schools who don't want to play that game get together can create a controlled direct pay scheme, the court has basically put NIL outside their control so it probably couldn't stop an OSU from raising another $15M over whatever direct pay schedule that might be formatted. Direct pay would be a boon for most of the athletes, but by itself wouldn't end the arms race.

As Buddha has noted - the only way to legally limit outside money may be via a collective bargaining agreement, and even then you would need an effective policing/enforcement architecture for it work. The current NCAA is not up to the task.

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Changelis story about NIL at UM

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2024/02/08/michigan-wolverines-nil-efforts-get-boost-from-university/72242043007/

She reports UM has raised $6M, and think they need $10M.  I think they'll be pretty lucky to get there. $15M is probably a more reasonably competitive number at your average top 10 school, so they are at the bottom of the hill looking up. I'm a broken record on this but I just can't see there are many schools - maybe ND, OSU, A&M, USC and a couple in the SEC, where that level of annual outside fundraising can possibly be sustainable. But even if the rest of the schools who don't want to play that game get together can create a controlled direct pay scheme, the court has basically put NIL outside their control so it probably couldn't stop an OSU from raising another $15M over whatever direct pay schedule that might be formatted. Direct pay would be a boon for most of the athletes, but by itself wouldn't end the arms race.

As Buddha has noted - the only way to legally limit outside money may be via a collective bargaining agreement, and even then you would need an effective policing/enforcement architecture for it work. The current NCAA is not up to the task.

there is no reason michigan could not compete with the osu and nd's of the world.  michigan has one of the richest alumni in the world.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

there is no reason michigan could not compete with the osu and nd's of the world.  michigan has one of the richest alumni in the world.

that may be true but most of them didn't get that way by spending their money on things like the salaries of college athletes that should/could be getting paid out of the games rights income they already generate. As an alum, if I make a gift, I want it to be something with a legacy. NIL has zero attraction in that direction. You are basically asking your individual donors to just light their money on fire for all the long term value the contribution has. I think you have a better sell to the business community that can get something back from the athletes by actually making promotional use of the NIL they buy. That and the unicorn individual mega rich goof balls with peculiar obsessions like Ishbia or Knight at Oregon. A&M had a huge donor along that line as well but I've forgotten who it was. Not to forget Ross at UM but he seems to be as much a brick and mortar guy.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that may be true but most of them didn't get that way by spending their money on things like the salaries of college athletes that should/could be getting paid out of the games rights income they already generate. As an alum, if I make a gift, I want it to be something with a legacy. NIL has zero attraction in that direction. You are basically asking your individual donors to just light their money on fire for all the long term value the contribution has. I think you have a better sell to the business community that can get something back from the athletes by actually making promotional use of the NIL they buy.

do you think the rich donors of other universities got that way by "spending money on things like college football salaries"?

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

do you think the rich donors of other universities got that way by "spending money on things like college football salaries"?

Lots of different cultures out there. Also don't forget -  a larger % of UM alumni base went there for graduate school than most other major sports universities. Plus nearly half the undergrad came from out of state and may have rooting interests for college teams they grew up rooting for. The graduate group in particular who are many of the highest income cohort, don't have nearly the kind of emotional attachment to things like varsity sports, and in fact may have whatever sports loyalty/interest they carry still with their undergrad school.

I mean it's not some kind of cosmic accident that UM is not OSU. There are lots of real reasons they are different.

Edited by gehringer_2

Chengelis with a story on Manuel and NIL. Not much concrete info, a lot of 3rd party affiliates of the 'U' patting Warde on the back.  Some discussion/focus on business endorsement deals as the long term sustainable path.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2024/02/14/michigan-unveils-new-partnership-to-bolster-nil-operations/72596193007/

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

What do you guys think the odds are that the wins for this season are vacated? Looking for serious answers not “honk” answers 

With Harbaugh now gone, I think it's pretty low. They're going to make him into the sacrificial lamb. I expect the eventual consequence to be along the lines of forfeited scholarships, a short postseason ban (probably for 2024, when they are about to go 7-5 or 8-4), and a multi-year show-cause for Harbaugh. I expect a lot of back room winking to Harbaugh too, and that he'll get his statue next to Bo about ten years after the dust settles from all this.

Historically, the NCAA only vacates wins when they rule a player who was ineligible to have played in those games (usually for taking money and being deemed retroactively to have lost their amateur status). The only deviation I can think of from that was when they made Penn State vacate all of Paterno's wins for the Sandusky scandal - and those were later returned as a part of a settlement agreement. Taken alongside Charlie Baker's "fair and square" comments, I think Michigan will come out of this just fine.

I will say that I think had Michigan gone through with their litigation against the Big Ten and secured an injunction (and Harbaugh coached those three games), then the NCAA could have plausibly argued that Harbaugh himself was ineligible for all games coached after imposition of the suspension, and vacated all of those wins, including the Natty. But the way it played out, I'd be surprised if they vacate anything.

with harbaugh gone i dont think the ncaa will care as much.  he'll get a show cause that the nfl will ignore.  michigan will get a slap on the wrist.

i'm not sure they would take anything more than a slap on the wrist lying down.  other states have started litigation against the ncaa when they try to sanction universities in their state.  michigan may follow suit if they try to take away victories.

there is zero chance they try to vacate the national championship.

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

with harbaugh gone i dont think the ncaa will care as much.  he'll get a show cause that the nfl will ignore.  michigan will get a slap on the wrist.

i'm not sure they would take anything more than a slap on the wrist lying down.  other states have started litigation against the ncaa when they try to sanction universities in their state.  michigan may follow suit if they try to take away victories.

there is zero chance they try to vacate the national championship.

It would seem that by getting out before his case was actually decided/tried (or whatever term the NCAA would use for their process), he has effectively short circuited things. He's now beyond the NCAA's reach and doesn't need to cooperate with any resolution of his cases. The U in turn can argue that it's unfair to hammer them since they can't effectively defend themselves without Harbaugh's cooperation so they are his victim as well.....

NCAA doesn't get Harbaugh's head on a pike, but they do get him out of their hair.

A half-loaf for everyone but Jim.

Edited by gehringer_2

They have already self punished with multiple coaching suspensions and even a few dismissals  I expect there will be a 2 week period in the summer where coaches aren’t allowed to recruit and one weekend where UM can’t host recruits   That’s it.    

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Harbaugh doesn't need a statue and Bo's should be gone.

I didn't say anything about need. Since when are institutional monies spent on need?

Drive a quarter mile down Hill and you can go from an $18 million dollar project for more housing at the old Elbel Field, to knocking fillings out and getting concussed by the pot holes outside the Ford School. I might be conflating A2 money with UM money, but the point remains.

It's a cult thing. I bet he gets a statue.