2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

3 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

What do you guys think the odds are that the wins for this season are vacated? Looking for serious answers not “honk” answers 

Exactly zero.

(1) Harbaugh is gone, so there's no point person to go after.

(2) Who/What is the governing body of NCAA football anymore?

(3) Penn State (albeit a weak PSU), Ohio State, Alabama, and Washington had the chance to do more damage to Michigan than any investigation result will do going forward.  None were successful.  Those game results are etched in memory.  Reggie Bush won the Heisman that was eventually forfeited.  Without looking it up, who was the runner up?  Did they get the trophy after Bush's was vacated?

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

to knocking fillings out and getting concussed by the pot holes outside the Ford School. I might be conflating A2 money with UM money, but the point remains.

To the question on road maintenance and the U, I think it depends. On Central campus I believe the University owns building *on* public thoroughfares, so the City/State/Fed are responsible for road maintenance as per the regular funding systems. OTOH, I think big pieces of north campus,  where I have hung out in recent years, are University compounds and the U has built and maintains their own roads there.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

To the question on road maintenance and the U, I think it depends. On Central campus I believe the University owns building *on* public thoroughfares, so the City/State/Fed are responsible for road maintenance as per the regular funding systems. OTOH, I think big pieces of north campus,  where I have hung out in recent years, are University compounds and the U has built and maintains their own roads there.

That sounds right. Like I believe that the road project last year on State St. was all Ann Arbor and Washtenaw County, but the buildings themselves (and parking lots) are the U.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Reggie Bush won the Heisman that was eventually forfeited.  Without looking it up, who was the runner up?  Did they get the trophy after Bush's was vacated?

"The Heisman Trophy...that is something that no one can ever take away from you. Unless you kill your wife and the waiter, in which case all bets are off"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buddha said:

keon sabb leaves.  that's too bad because he waa going to be really good.

Interesting data point from Sam Webb from his paywall.  Gross oversimplificaition: He says that Sabb didn't care for Clink.  Not sure what was up with Wink and the flux in the DB room. 

10 hours ago, romad1 said:

Interesting data point from Sam Webb from his paywall.  Gross oversimplificaition: He says that Sabb didn't care for Clink.  Not sure what was up with Wink and the flux in the DB room. 

I’d be very surprised if NIL money wasn’t the main reason.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 10:58 PM, romad1 said:

If it was Clink, he left for the Chargers before Sabb announced. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Michigan is hiring the Ohio St RB Coach.  That's some next level trolling by Sherrone.  

Turnabout for Mattison.

TBH, I imagine only one in 10 coaches has any special bond to the school where he is working. For most of them the school loyalty is just part of the job uniform. It gets left in the old locker room when they move on.

Edited by gehringer_2

22 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

He's a Ohio guy and a great recruiter. It's a huge get for Sherrone.

That's the only thing that bothered me about Jim Harbaugh. He RAAAAAAARELY ever got 5* recruits. Every year we face OSU, I've always cringed knowing their players were probably better. However, I always felt Jim was a better coach than Ryan Day.

I really hope Moore can get some highly rated 5* players and some high 4* players and really make a dynasty. It looks like this is the best recruiting staff we may have ever had. If that's the case, we could see something special for the next few years........ Here's hoping...

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

That's the only thing that bothered me about Jim Harbaugh. He RAAAAAAARELY ever got 5* recruits. Every year we face OSU, I've always cringed knowing their players were probably better. However, I always felt Jim was a better coach than Ryan Day.

I really hope Moore can get some highly rated 5* players and some high 4* players and really make a dynasty. It looks like this is the best recruiting staff we may have ever had. If that's the case, we could see something special for the next few years........ Here's hoping...

I would never count on UM raising the same amount of money exclusively for sports that OSU does, and that will probably insure that OSU is able to stay at the top of the recruiting heap.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would never count on UM raising the same amount of money exclusively for sports that OSU does, and that will probably insure that OSU is able to stay at the top of the recruiting heap.

Generally speaking, I think you're absolutely right. Ohio State can generate money with the Alabamas of the world. Michigan can generate money with the Notre Dames. Both tiers can win championships, but it sure is easier in the Bama/OSU tier.

That said, if Ryan Day goes anything short of 12-0 this year, especially if he loses in the Shoe to Sherrone, the internal chaos and outright implosion that will occur in Columbus will be a sight to behold. Ohio State administration would likely have to choose between a large number of their donations and a coach who would be 67-9 in his career... They give him these millions of dollars to beat Michigan, and if he can't do it, I don't think the money will persist indefinitely.

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Generally speaking, I think you're absolutely right. Ohio State can generate money with the Alabamas of the world. Michigan can generate money with the Notre Dames. Both tiers can win championships, but it sure is easier in the Bama/OSU tier.

That said, if Ryan Day goes anything short of 12-0 this year, especially if he loses in the Shoe to Sherrone, the internal chaos and outright implosion that will occur in Columbus will be a sight to behold. Ohio State administration would likely have to choose between a large number of their donations and a coach who would be 67-9 in his career... They give him these millions of dollars to beat Michigan, and if he can't do it, I don't think the money will persist indefinitely.

If Sherrone Moore can put together a team this year that defeats OSU, heads will be exploding in more places than just Columbus.

😱

i will be stunned if ohio state loses more than one game this year.

i will be surprised if they lose 1.  

and i think they are going to beat michigan comfortably.  they spent the whole offseason buying players to do it and michigan lost half their team, half their coaching staff, and their head coach.

All the pressure is on Ohio State and Ryan Day, and I am almost positive that will remain the case all the way to late November.

If I had to pick today, I would think Michigan is going 8-4 and missing the playoff, with losses to Texas, Oregon, Ohio State, and one game they should win but inexplicably lose. If I had to pick for Ohio State, they're going 12-0, quite possibly entering the playoff as the 1-seed.

But an 8-3 team picking off an 11-0 rival whose number they've had for a few years now? It may be pay for play in 2024, but it's still college football. Stranger things have happened.

17 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

But an 8-3 team picking off an 11-0 rival whose number they've had for a few years now? It may be pay for play in 2024, but it's still college football. Stranger things have happened.

Both teams are replacing their QB, that's a big injection of randomizing noise for both programs.

10 hours ago, buddha said:

they spent the whole offseason buying players to do it 

What players? They brought back all their juniors who weren't being graded as first round picks, whoopdy do. 

Are you referring to the 6 transfers? Caleb Downs - OSU finished 2nd in his recruitment, he would have never left Bama if Saban didn't retire, most thought he was going to Georgia, but his father and brother were both spurned by Georgia, so he had no allegiance to them, I think he is certainly getting paid, but it wasn't just about money - if it was he would have gone to Miami or Texas A&M. Julian Sayin - A true freshman that left Bama because Saban retired, OSU finished 2nd in his recruitment, he has no bearing on the upcoming season. Judkins - sure. Will Howard - he came to OSU for one reason and one reason only - to boost his draft stock. He got a mid-round grade after last season and wants to see if he can propel himself to top 2 rounds. Seth McLaughlin - the C that was the laughinstock of the college football world 2 months ago - I highly doubt he is getting paid. Will Kachmarek - a TE from the Ohio University that grew up in Ohio, yeah, I bet they broke the bank on him. 

So, you are saying OSU spent "the whole offseason" buying 2 players? Didn't Michigan bring in more transfers before the 2023 season than OSU did this offseason, multiple of which they were obviously tampering with? Also, didn't Michigan start an entire NIL fund for the expressed purpose of bringing upperclassmen back for one more year? 

I have zero problem with that, by the way, but I just don't understand the faux outrage over OSU "buying" players this offseason. It is total nonsense and hypocritical. 

PS: Congrats on the championship. 

10 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

but I just don't understand the faux outrage

I'm not going to speak for anyone else but for me it's not outrage, it's just frustration for the M fan that college revenue sports are moving into a future that most people at Michigan believe is one that is more favorable to OSU culturally and institutionally. And I'm not saying that in a pejorative way. I've done academic work over the years with OSU folks and worked with lots of students that have gone back and forth between the two places. Sport is all faux rivalry. OSU is a great institution, but it is a different one from Ann Arbor, different history, different alumni cohort and more generally, Michigan is not Ohio when it comes to football at all levels (other than the NFL - for now - 😉)

• Like 1