2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

12 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

What players? They brought back all their juniors who weren't being graded as first round picks, whoopdy do. 

Are you referring to the 6 transfers? Caleb Downs - OSU finished 2nd in his recruitment, he would have never left Bama if Saban didn't retire, most thought he was going to Georgia, but his father and brother were both spurned by Georgia, so he had no allegiance to them, I think he is certainly getting paid, but it wasn't just about money - if it was he would have gone to Miami or Texas A&M. Julian Sayin - A true freshman that left Bama because Saban retired, OSU finished 2nd in his recruitment, he has no bearing on the upcoming season. Judkins - sure. Will Howard - he came to OSU for one reason and one reason only - to boost his draft stock. He got a mid-round grade after last season and wants to see if he can propel himself to top 2 rounds. Seth McLaughlin - the C that was the laughinstock of the college football world 2 months ago - I highly doubt he is getting paid. Will Kachmarek - a TE from the Ohio University that grew up in Ohio, yeah, I bet they broke the bank on him. 

So, you are saying OSU spent "the whole offseason" buying 2 players? Didn't Michigan bring in more transfers before the 2023 season than OSU did this offseason, multiple of which they were obviously tampering with? Also, didn't Michigan start an entire NIL fund for the expressed purpose of bringing upperclassmen back for one more year? 

I have zero problem with that, by the way, but I just don't understand the faux outrage over OSU "buying" players this offseason. It is total nonsense and hypocritical. 

PS: Congrats on the championship. 

i'm not outraged by any of it!  i wish michigan would have outbid them!

and osu already self-reported violations about tampering with recruits (which doesnt bother me at all either) so they were making offers before the portal period even opened.  again, i dont care.

my comment was more directed to osu not taking michigan's recent ascendency laying down.  they spent a lot of money on this team, from chip kelly to bringing back a whole bunch of players who were very draftable.  that costs money.  osu media saying osu "finished second" for recruits is like michigan media saying michigan was in on recruits but they couldnt get into school, sometimes its true but its usually just an excuse to make us feel better that we didnt get a kid and cover for the coaching staff.  so even if a caleb downs said "osu finished second", he likely had other suitors and osu had to fend them off with some cash.

and that's perfectly legal and i'm fine with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not going to speak for anyone else but for me it's not outrage, it's just frustration for the M fan that college revenue sports are moving into a future that most people at Michigan believe is one that is more favorable to OSU culturally and institutionally. And I'm not saying that in a pejorative way. I've done academic work over the years with OSU folks and worked with lots of students that have gone back and forth between the two places. Sport is all faux rivalry. OSU is a great institution, but it is a different one from Ann Arbor, different history, different alumni cohort and more generally, Michigan is not Ohio when it comes to football at all levels (other than the NFL - for now - 😉)

I get it, however, I think Michigan certainly has the capability of succeeding in the scenario you laid out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...