2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

so he wasnt doing this just to get more money out of michigan?  no way...

I think it was Karch this AM reporting that the U wanted a clawback on his salary if he was suspended. If he hadn’t already made up his mind that probably would have done it!

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it was Karch this AM reporting that the U wanted a clawback on his salary if he was suspended. If he hadn’t already made up his mind that probably would have done it!

g2!  stop!  he's been interviewing for nfl jobs for the past three years!  he wants to coach in the nfl!

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

g2!  stop!  he's been interviewing for nfl jobs for the past three years!  he wants to coach in the nfl!

Stop what ? He was hedging his bets negotiating with his current employer if he didn’t get an offer he liked enough. If he hadn’t liked the Charger offer he would have come back and we’d have gone through it all again next year. It where we’ve been pretty much since he beat OSU the first time and he knew he had added leverage. 

But I will bet you an internet beer that he’s with the Chargers < 5 yrs

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Stop what ? He was hedging his bets negotiating with his current employer if he didn’t get an offer he liked enough. If he hadn’t liked the Charger offer he would have come back and we’d have gone through it all again next year. It where we’ve been pretty much since he beat OSU the first time and he knew he had added leverage. 

But I will bet you an internet beer that he’s with the Chargers < 5 yrs

he wants to coach in the nfl.  period.

its flabbergasting to me that you keep denying this.  as if this was all one big ruse to get more money.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

its flabbergasting to me that you keep denying this.  as if this was all one big ruse to get more money.

Right. Who thinks he would have left the NFL in the first place for any school other than Michigan? I don't, not even if Notre Dame or Georgia or USC had come calling 9 years ago.

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

I don't deny it, I've posted at least 2ce that he wants to win a SB and one-up big brother in the worst way. But it is in a sense immaterial to the immediate situation. He's been playing one employer off the other effectively only because he was willing to stay where he was  or leave depending on who would make him a better offer, so there was no reason a priori to know he would jump this particular time. I would grant that given he'd just won big at M this was a more likely jump off, but his leverage each way always depended on his willingness to go either way, and I don't that that changed here. He just got closer to what he wanted.

He is as much mercenary as romantic, which I might argue you don't recognize. He talks a lot of inspiration but he also follows the $$ as much as any coach ever has.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't deny it, I've posted at least 2ce that he wants to win a SB and one-up big brother in the worst way. But it is in a sense immaterial to the immediate situation. He's been playing one employer off the other effectively only because he was willing to stay where he was  or leave depending on who would make him a better offer, so there was no reason a priori to know he would jump this particular time. I would grant that given he'd just won big at M this was a more likely jump off, but his leverage each way always depended on his willingness to go either way, and I don't that that changed here. He just got closer to what he wanted.

He is as much mercenary as romantic, which I might argue you don't recognize. He talks a lot of inspiration but he also follows the $$ as much as any coach ever has.

so why did he interview with the vikings?  to get more money out of michigan?

same with denver last year?

so he left the nfl the first time to take more money from michigan?  is that what you actually believe?

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

so why did he interview with the vikings?  to get more money out of michigan?

same with denver last year?

so he left the nfl the first time to take more money from michigan?  is that what you actually believe?

I don't know what you are arguing. You've never been in one job looking for another? You are looking for the best deal overall - period, wherever it is. He's been negotiating management personnel with the Chargers, he can do that now because he has more leverage because his stock is up, because he stayed at M and won and there is/was a fat offer on the table there. He didn't have that level of leverage with the Vikes and so what he was asking was too much for them and they went elsewhere. Strip away the romance of football rhetoric, and he's acted just like any other free agent employee looking out for #1. If *all* he wanted to do was get back the NFL, he could have done it years ago. He only wanted back on his terms, just like he only wanted to stay at M on his terms.

More power to him. I don't think that makes him a moth in an NFL streetlamp.

Edited by gehringer_2

I think Warde Manuel is going to go through some things here.  I don't know if he deserves it but it sure looks like he alienated Harbaugh and has given Juwan Howard a pass on some things.  The best thing for Manuel would be if Sherrone Moore suddenly starts locking down 4/5* recruits in the portal (particularly at outside WR) to get everyone in a good mood about next season. 

Also, Juwan Howard needs to finish this season strong or what the hell are we even doing?

Not rooting for Jim or the Chargers.  He was my coach, when he was my coach.  He won us a natty but he's gone.  Good luck to you Jim and welcome back for alumni days.  It would be lovely to have your help in recruiting and coach searches.   

12 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I think Warde Manuel is going to go through some things here.  I don't know if he deserves it but it sure looks like he alienated Harbaugh and has given Juwan Howard a pass on some things.  The best thing for Manuel would be if Sherrone Moore suddenly starts locking down 4/5* recruits in the portal (particularly at outside WR) to get everyone in a good mood about next season. 

Also, Juwan Howard needs to finish this season strong or what the hell are we even doing?

Sherrone Moore has to take over a team who just won a title.  Something he probably can't repeat (at least in year 1).  There is very likely some sort of punishment coming to the program.  If they can't get Harbaugh, they'll get someone.  JJ, Blake Corum, Several guys on the O-Line and Roman Wilson are all gone and there's a pretty good chance that Jim Harbaugh takes Jesse Minter with him.     

He'll have his work cut out for him at the start.  

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sherrone Moore has to take over a team who just won a title.  Something he probably can't repeat (at least in year 1).  There is very likely some sort of punishment coming to the program.  If they can't get Harbaugh, they'll get someone.  JJ, Blake Corum, Several guys on the O-Line and Roman Wilson are all gone and there's a pretty good chance that Jim Harbaugh takes Jesse Minter with him.     

He'll have his work cut out for him at the start.  

He didn't come by the Joe Moore awards by accident though.  He has been identified as an excellent recruiter and a great people person.  So, lets hope. 

The Jim Harbaugh to Sherrone Moore transition reminds me some of the Jim Harbaugh to David Shaw transition at Stanford.

In both cases, Harbaugh took a program that had been in turmoil and brought them to heights they hadn’t seen in decades. He then left for the NFL, and left the keys to the program with an assistant who had been in the wings. We can hope Moore will have Shaw’s success (preferably without the later years).

I don’t think hiring Moore means committing to a decade. I’d give him a 3 year contract and start giving him a hard evaluation by the end of year 2. Michigan would still be a top destination in a national coaching search 2-3 years from now, if necessary. 

39 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

There’s a long way between being a great people person and being the face of one of the biggest sports franchises in the country. I hope it works out but if it does, I will be surprised. 

Unless you talk Saban or Meyer out of retirement, almost any hire carries a lot of downside risk. I think in today's college football the far and away top skill is to find and recruit and develop top level QBs. It's what propelled Harbaugh to success both times he found it and held him back when he didn't. It's been the formula at OSU/Ala/Georgia etc. An NFL level - even mediocre NFL level (e.g Fields) QB immediately puts any college offense a giant step ahead of it's competition.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Unless you talk Saban or Meyer out of retirement, almost any hire carries a lot of downside risk. I think in today's college football the far and away top skill is to find and recruit and develop top level QBs. It's what propelled Harbaugh to success both times he found it and held him back when he didn't. It's been the formula at OSU/Ala/Georgia etc. An NFL level - even mediocre NFL level (e.g Fields) QB immediately puts any college offense a giant step ahead of it's competition.

Yes, there’s no such thing as a sure thing in hiring a head coach. Even Harbaugh struggled at Michigan, and had to take a pay cut.

This was in spite of the fact that Harbaugh had success as a quarterback in college and in the pros, then paid his coaching dues in college and the pros before getting progressively larger head coaching gigs. 

Harbaugh was head coach of three different teams for over a decade before landing at Michigan, almost flaming out, and finally finding the QB who could let his team compete at the highest level. Moore has nothing remotely similar on his resume. Hopefully the national championship, and maybe the ripple effect of Saban’s retirement, helps him land some five star recruits to build around. But this is a big big job for any head coach, let alone a first timer. 

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I don’t think hiring Moore means committing to a decade. I’d give him a 3 year contract and start giving him a hard evaluation by the end of year 2. Michigan would still be a top destination in a national coaching search 2-3 years from now, if necessary. 

I'm not sure I would take that if I was Moore though. He's a qualified head coaching candidate as it stands today. I think Michigan needs him more than he needs Michigan. It's unrealistic for him to go 15-0 again. He's inheriting a program that cannot improve (at least on the field).

Looking at the 2024 schedule, I wouldn't agree to anything less than four or five years if I were him. Let him be able to tell recruits on the trail that he will be here for their entire time at Michigan. And give him some grace this season (no torches and pitchforks to drive him out of town if he goes 9-3 with losses to Texas, Oregon, and Ohio State).

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Not rooting for Jim or the Chargers.  He was my coach, when he was my coach.  He won us a natty but he's gone.  Good luck to you Jim and welcome back for alumni days.  It would be lovely to have your help in recruiting and coach searches.   

chargers are now my third favorite team:

1) lions

2) whomever is playing the bears

3) chargers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm not sure I would take that if I was Moore though. He's a qualified head coaching candidate as it stands today. I think Michigan needs him more than he needs Michigan. It's unrealistic for him to go 15-0 again. He's inheriting a program that cannot improve (at least on the field).

Looking at the 2024 schedule, I wouldn't agree to anything less than four or five years if I were him. Let him be able to tell recruits on the trail that he will be here for their entire time at Michigan. And give him some grace this season (no torches and pitchforks to drive him out of town if he goes 9-3 with losses to Texas, Oregon, and Ohio State).

moore will take whatever michigan offers him.  where else is he going to go and paid that kind of money?

manuel needs to think about the long term future kf the lrogram and if michigan wouldnt be better off in the long term with the mizzou coach or the kstate coach.

but he wont.  he'll hire moore because its the easiest thing to do and makes the most sense in the short term.

and it could be the best decision in the long termz although i have my doubts.

5 hours ago, romad1 said:

juwan should and will be let go at the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

moore will take whatever michigan offers him.  where else is he going to go and paid that kind of money?

Well for certain Moore is not going to get the offer than was on the table to Harbaugh. He's making 900K now. Smith just hired in up the road at 6M, I doubt they offer a promoted assistant quite that.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Yeah, giving him second chances, I get.  He's on about his 4th chance now. 

Juwan came in with a huge natural advantage because he was NBA and he could sell recruits on being able to get them there. But that could only get him so far. He also had to be a good coach because if he didn't actually keep his program where the NBA would be looking at his players, that head start would fade away. And so here we are.