2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Juwan came in with a huge natural advantage because he was NBA and he could sell recruits on being able to get them there. But that could only get him so far. He also had to be a good coach because if he didn't actually keep his program where the NBA would be looking at his players, that head start would fade away. And so here we are.

Most of his problem stemmed from the arrival of his kids in the program.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm not sure I would take that if I was Moore though. He's a qualified head coaching candidate as it stands today. I think Michigan needs him more than he needs Michigan. It's unrealistic for him to go 15-0 again. He's inheriting a program that cannot improve (at least on the field).

Looking at the 2024 schedule, I wouldn't agree to anything less than four or five years if I were him. Let him be able to tell recruits on the trail that he will be here for their entire time at Michigan. And give him some grace this season (no torches and pitchforks to drive him out of town if he goes 9-3 with losses to Texas, Oregon, and Ohio State).

Moore supposedly has the recruiting chops - has proven his offensive mind, and stood the test of managing the sideline in the two biggest regular season games, so he can stack up his credentials against other applicants without any embarrassment. What Moore lacks is the historical connection to the generation with  money that Harbaugh had so he won't have the leg up on NIL/fundraising Harbaugh's name gave them, but there's probably no other candidate out there with that anyway.

Edited by gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

he'll hire moore because its the easiest thing to do

It should be a fun posting to read on the University job board. Be even more fun if they note "there are internal candidates for this position", which I think is something they do, or at least  used to do.  :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It should be a fun posting to read on the University job board. Be even more fun if they note "there are internal candidates for this position", which I think is something they do, or at least  used to do.  :classic_laugh:

they have to wait a week by law, i think, or else it probably would have been announced already.

you should apply.  🙂

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's like how during papal elections, any Catholic baptized male is eligible. When Francis goes, I could try to make a social media effort to get a few write-in votes for Harbaugh.

one more thing, if it wasnt going to be moore (and it is going to be moore) then the only other candidates were kalen deboer and dan lanning.  deboer took the bama job.  lanning turned down the bama job.

michigan should underhandedly kick the tires on lanning but i doubt he comes to michigan over bama.  i know richrod turned down bama for michigan but that was bama pre-saban.  they were a much different program then: all the expectations and none of the players.

leiopold at kansas is 62.  kleiman is almost 60.  no and no.

brian kelly is a non-starter for so many reasons, not the least of which that he killed a kid.  i also really doubt kelly would actually come to michigan over lsu as lsu has more re$ource$.

matt campbell is a non-starter for me.  the shine has worn off of that one.  luke fickell sucks.  the only other potential candidate is drinkwitz at missou.  younger and successful, building a program at a bottom feeder school in the sec.

but it doesnt matter because moore is getting the job.  

oh, and another reason it will be moore is because its the easiest thing for warde manuel to do.  its readily apparent that making decisions and sticking to a plan arent really warde's thing.  the easiest thing to do for someone who doesnt have a plan or know what theyre doing is to do nothing.  see illitch, chris and avila, al.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, djhutch said:

Is it a done deal that Sherrone Moore gets the gig - `cuz I'd kick the tires on that dude from Kansas.

From the reports I'm seeing they are trying to get a waiver to hire Moore without the waiting period.    I don't know if they plan to bring in Robbie Steinhardt for an interview.  I do not know if "Carry on Wayward Son" or "Dust in the Wing" really match up with the Amoeba defense or the type of offense that Jim and Sherrone called. 

Lance Leipold has a much stronger head  coaching pedigree than Sherrone Moore.  Under different circumstances, he’d probably make a great hire at Michigan.   In this situation with the timing, the current roster, the portal and all that goes with it, Moore is the only choice for the job.    

Definitely agree on Warde.  If you are going to let him make the call on the next coach, then take the no brainer route.  Don’t let him lead a national search. 

51 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Lance Leipold has a much stronger head  coaching pedigree than Sherrone Moore.  Under different circumstances, he’d probably make a great hire at Michigan.   In this situation with the timing, the current roster, the portal and all that goes with it, Moore is the only choice for the job.    

Definitely agree on Warde.  If you are going to let him make the call on the next coach, then take the no brainer route.  Don’t let him lead a national search. 

leipold is too old.  i'd rather give moore an opportunity.

i forgot about jedd fisch.  i would have hired him too.

timing hurt this search as all the best candidates were snatched up before michigan had a chance to look.

that said, they wouldnt have looked.  moore was always getting hired here.  again, its the easiest thing to do.  all you have to do is look at the basketball program (and the hockey program) to see that manuel doesnt know what he's doing and will not make a decision until forced.  how many times does howard have to embarass the university for him to get fired?  why did it take forever to fire mel pearson?  and then they just promoted an assistant.  why?  cause that's the easiest thing to do.

poor leadership is hurting the athletic department.  they got lucky with a unicorn football coach and basketball coach (both brought in by a different AD, btw).  i hope moore can keep the good vibes going at michigan, but even if he does, it wont be because of manuel.  it will be because harbaugh set the foundation and identified moore early.

manuel is just along for the ride.  nothing more.

14 hours ago, buddha said:

luke fickell sucks.  the only other potential

I don't understand how Luke Fickell sucks. If we are sitting after 2-3 seasons of him at Wisconsin and he's still 7-6 or 8-5 then you can say he sucks or is below Michigan's standards. But I still believe given his success at a nobody school in the scheme of college football like Cincinnati and his midwest, specifically Ohio, recruiting ties, Fickell would be a good hire. I bet you wouldn't have wanted Fickell to get the MSU job a few years back over Tucker because that program would likely be in a lot better shape than it is now and a lot tougher for us.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

they wouldnt have looked.

Point WRT searching if they do not pre-decide on Moore: "Ease" isn't much of a factor in the looking,  they hire it out. They will get as much search work as they will pay for and $$ they have.

Lanning is the ideal get, but as  noted, why would he leave a good gig in the same conference to walk in to NCAA issues? Don't see what moving to UM offers him.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't understand how Luke Fickell sucks. If we are sitting after 2-3 seasons of him at Wisconsin and he's still 7-6 or 8-5 then you can say he sucks or is below Michigan's standards. But I still believe given his success at a nobody school in the scheme of college football like Cincinnati and his midwest, specifically Ohio, recruiting ties, Fickell would be a good hire. I bet you wouldn't have wanted Fickell to get the MSU job a few years back over Tucker because that program would likely be in a lot better shape than it is now and a lot tougher for us.

the guy who went to wisconsin and brought in a spread offense oc?  at wisconsin?  the guy who went 7-6 in the worst big ten west division in memory?

no thank you.  i know you have a love for luke fickell but just like you were with youre never ending quest to get jim harbaugh fired from michigan, youre wrong.

would luke fickell have been better at msu than mel tucker?  probably.  but ANYONE DECENT would have been better at msu than mel tucker.  mel tucker was a nothing guy who took the job when they overpaid him because no one else would take it and then lucked his way into kenneth walker iii.  and then immediately fell apart because he is not a good coach/program leader.

and then msu got incredibly lucky that he couldnt keep his **** in his pants and they were able to get out of their mistake.

and as a last reminder, luke fickell was the head coach at osu.  he was a die hard osu player and bleeds osu.  he is not coming to michigan and he is not wanted at michigan.  this is not bo schembechler.  this is 2024.

get over the luke fickell lust.  even if he does a decent job at wisconsin he is not getting the michigan job.  not today.  not tomorrow.  not in 10 years.  never.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Point WRT searching if they do not pre-decide on Moore: "Ease" isn't much of a factor in the looking,  they hire it out. They will get as much search work as they will pay for and $$ they have.

Lanning is the ideal get, but as  noted, why would he leave a good gig in the same conference to walk in to NCAA issues? Don't see what moving to UM offers him.

i doubt the ncaa issues amount to anything.  the most they'll get is a 1 year postseason ban and harbaugh and stallions get a show cause order.

they already suspended him twice.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

i doubt the ncaa issues amount to anything.  the most they'll get is a 1 year postseason ban and harbaugh and stallions get a show cause order.

they already suspended him twice.

Serious question - what leverage do they (i.e. NCAA) have now to get Harbaugh to show up at a hearing if one is scheduled? What possible consequences to the the 'U' if he just refuses?

The speed is something. That has to be all Ono. Every previous UM president in my lifetime would been 'let the process in place play out.'  Nothing at UM happens this fast.

Interesting. Ono didn't have any particular reputation for a glass breaker in any of the reporting when he took the job, but I think he just left a bunch of people in Athletic Dept and probably the legal department, somewhat..... shattered.  :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

I am on the air until 7pm in Ann Arbor every weekday.   The Harbaugh story breaks right after 7, the Sherrone story breaks right after 7.   They did this to screw me !

I thought the job had to be posted for a week, maybe it was 72 hours. 

Historic moment - first (permanent) Black Head Coach

He's following up a perfect season 

There will be punishment from the NCAA

Several key offensive players are leaving including the QB

If he goes 9-3 people will be screaming for his firing.   

47 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I gather he has a press conference tomorrow.

It sounds like he has the inside track to retain Ben Herbert.  Now he needs to pick the right DC and get Mike Hart to stay to coach the RB room.

They might throw Hart a bone and give him the OC title. I'm sure Moore will call plays but the title and raise might help to retain him. If Hart has a future as an HC it's very likely in the college game anyway.

Edited by MichiganCardinal