Can Detroit Find Trading Partner For Javier Báez?

UCFKNIGHT

Lots of reasons why baseball is dying out among kids in general.  

• It's not a very exciting game to play compared to basketball or football.  
  • If you live in a city, baseball is tough to play just because of how much area it takes up while there are basketball hoops all over the place.
  • It doesn't require the athleticism that other sports require, so it gets ignored.
  • You don't get paid right away like basketball or football.
  • There are plenty of other reasons, but baseball is now simply a sport that people in the Caribbean/Latin America and some parts of California/Florida and a few other states play.
  • I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing baseball at a park or having a pick-up game.

On a side note, I also think the pathetic results from the Tigers over the last 7 or 8 years also affects kids in the area wanting to play the game.  When a team is as bad as the Tigers, many parents of young kids just don't follow baseball and in turn don't expose their kids to the game.  I grew up in the 80s/90s, played 2 years in college, but just stopped following baseball because the Tigers were just so bad.  It's really hard to care about an organization that doesn't value winning.  I played catch with my son and threw batting practice when he was growing up, but he never was excited about the game and we never watched games together because the Tigers were so bad all those years.  I have a feeling the Tigers are going to be bad for a long, long time.  

On 4/15/2023 at 8:58 PM, tiger2022 said:

Lots of reasons why baseball is dying out among kids in general.  

• It's not a very exciting game to play compared to basketball or football.  
  • If you live in a city, baseball is tough to play just because of how much area it takes up while there are basketball hoops all over the place.
  • It doesn't require the athleticism that other sports require, so it gets ignored.
  • You don't get paid right away like basketball or football.
  • There are plenty of other reasons, but baseball is now simply a sport that people in the Caribbean/Latin America and some parts of California/Florida and a few other states play.
  • I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing baseball at a park or having a pick-up game.

On a side note, I also think the pathetic results from the Tigers over the last 7 or 8 years also affects kids in the area wanting to play the game.  When a team is as bad as the Tigers, many parents of young kids just don't follow baseball and in turn don't expose their kids to the game.  I grew up in the 80s/90s, played 2 years in college, but just stopped following baseball because the Tigers were just so bad.  It's really hard to care about an organization that doesn't value winning.  I played catch with my son and threw batting practice when he was growing up, but he never was excited about the game and we never watched games together because the Tigers were so bad all those years.  I have a feeling the Tigers are going to be bad for a long, long time.  

Javier Báez?

At this point he would be stupid to opt out of his contract.

5 hours ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Javier Báez?

At this point he would be stupid to opt out of his contract.

Unless he hates it here. He's made a $100 million in the bank its not like he's hurting. I could see him opting out cause he hates it, take a one year prove it deal and then hope to make it up in 2024. 

On 4/14/2023 at 1:23 PM, djhutch said:

I've tried to think of another signing that was this bad in Tigers' history.  I know the Zimmerman signing wasn't great.  We paid too much for Prince, but got out of that.  I can't remember a contract that was supposed to be such a big splash end with such an enormous thud.

Juan González?

On 4/19/2023 at 4:54 PM, Shinzaki said:

The Juan Gone trade still ranks as a real stinkeroonie given what we gave up for one year of ineffectual sulking

Not only that, both Francisco Cordero and Frank Catalanotto had good years that could have helped us in 2006.