Pistons Offseason - 2023

Deleterious

Going to keep the coach search and draft stuff in their own threads.

Just going off the top of my head here.  I believe their free agents are Diallo, McGruder, and Joseph.  Team options on Burks, Omoruyi, Hampton, and Livers.  No clue on the dates of those options.  

$30 million or so in cap space but that includes letting Burks go which isn't going to happen.  So $20m in cap space roughly.

The rookie options have all been picked up for next season.  

I believe the Pistons are now eligible to make trades but only with other teams whose season has ended.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

$30 million or so in cap space but that includes letting Burks go which isn't going to happen.  So $20m in cap space roughly.

There's 20M in cap holds that I expect them to release (Hami, CoJo, McGruder, Rhoden). Without that I'm counting about 101M in salary (including Burks and Dedmon's dead money), which would leave about about 33M in cap...is that right?

How does the draft pick factor into that? If we're assuming 33M in space, do we then subtract 10-12M for that pick putting them around the 20M you mentioned?

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

There's 20M in cap holds that I expect them to release (Hami, CoJo, McGruder, Rhoden). Without that I'm counting about 101M in salary (including Burks and Dedmon's dead money), which would leave about about 33M in cap...is that right?

How does the draft pick factor into that? If we're assuming 33M in space, do we then subtract 10-12M for that pick putting them around the 20M you mentioned?

I think the #1 pick is about $10M and yeah, it counts against the cap the second you draft him.  

• 2 weeks later...

JEIII has said for a while now that Stewart will be with the Pistons for a long, long time. He's "a Weaver guy" and the "heart and soul" of the team.

I'm cool with that as long as that doesn't mean "starter". I like Stew as a Grant Williams type of PF off the bench who plays tough defense, hits the three (in progress), and can play small-ball switchable Center in the playoffs. And if he's as important to the locker room as reports would indicate, then that's cool too.

That said, his presence shouldn't stop us from getting a legitimate starter at the PF spot (when we don't get Victor). If it does, that's a problem.

16 hours ago, buddha said:

i did enjoy the recent pistons twitter rant on how james wiseman was the worst player in the nba this year: selfish and stupid on offense, lazy and stupid on defense.

The numbers on him are crazy. Top of the league in post touches, which he demands on every play. Bottom of the league in point per possession in the post.

I truly hope they were just testing some things out and trying to lose games. Duren should be the starting Center alongside a versatile PF who can spread the court and defend (that person isn't on the team right now). Stew can be the backup Grant Williams type of player if he continues to develop.

Let Wiseman be the backup Center this year and see how he develops. Find a vet who doesn't require playing time to be your 3rd Center and move Bagley..

i think wiseman is less than worthless.  he's a net negative, especially given his salary.  terrible, atrocious pick up by weaver.

unless, like you say, it was a stealth tank move.  given his love for worthless bigs, i doubt it.

I'm fine with Wiseman as a backup Center (for now). Maybe he turns into your 3rd string if he can't figure it out, but he also has the athletic tools to be solid backup Center in the league if he improves - he's played less games than Duren, so there's time.

Something else to ponder is how much of this goes on Casey. History has shown us that Casey didn't coach shot selection at all. Bey was traded because he was a ball hog who just wanted to chuck inefficient shots, but you gotta wonder how he went 2 years without a coach telling him what shots he should be taking. I doubt Casey told Wiseman to quit trying to post up on every possession. A real coach could solve that issue.

Stew belongs at PF because he's bottom of the league at finishing in the paint on offense and also not a great defensive rebounder due to his size. Where he could be highly valuable is if he can learn to hit the three ball reliably during the regular season and play some small ball Center to match up with other teams in the playoffs. Grant Williams really is the best comparison for where Stew's game needs to go to become a valuable player on a contender.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I'm fine with Wiseman as a backup Center (for now). Maybe he turns into your 3rd string if he can't figure it out, but he also has the athletic tools to be solid backup Center in the league if he improves - he's played less games than Duren, so there's time.

Something else to ponder is how much of this goes on Casey. History has shown us that Casey didn't coach shot selection at all. Bey was traded because he was a ball hog who just wanted to chuck inefficient shots, but you gotta wonder how he went 2 years without a coach telling him what shots he should be taking. I doubt Casey told Wiseman to quit trying to post up on every possession. A real coach could solve that issue.

Stew belongs at PF because he's bottom of the league at finishing in the paint on offense and also not a great defensive rebounder due to his size. Where he could be highly valuable is if he can learn to hit the three ball reliably during the regular season and play some small ball Center to match up with other teams in the playoffs. Grant Williams really is the best comparison for where Stew's game needs to go to become a valuable player on a contender.

hopefully stew can be kevon looney.

wiseman had great coaching in golden state and couldnt do ****.  so thosr great coaches gave up on him.  i agree with you that casey sucks, but i think this is all on wiseman.  he's young, dumb, and selfish.

Stew has way more shooting upside than Looney, but I hear ya on the toughness and offensive rebounding. I know they're listed as 6'8" and 6'9" but Looney just looks like he has more than 1" on Stew. My guess is Stew is closer to 6'7" or even 6'6" (like Grant Williams) and Looney is 6'9" and some change. Stew just gets outmatched on the glass compared to Looney, though I suppose we have no idea what Stew will look like on the boards years from now when he's Looney's age.

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Stew has way more shooting upside than Looney, but I hear ya on the toughness and offensive rebounding. I know they're listed as 6'8" and 6'9" but Looney just looks like he has more than 1" on Stew. My guess is Stew is closer to 6'7" or even 6'6" (like Grant Williams) and Looney is 6'9" and some change. Stew just gets outmatched on the glass compared to Looney, though I suppose we have no idea what Stew will look like on the boards years from now when he's Looney's age.

hopefully we get to the point where the pistons have enough spacing to draw other people away from the basket and stew can muscle and hustle people down low.

grant williams would be fine too.