Pistons Offseason - 2023

Deleterious

Since the rumors are so strong about making an offer to Cam Johnson.  Some info on restricted free agents.

RFA's are eligible for sign and trades, but it has to happen before they sign an offer sheet.  Once they sign the offer sheet they are no longer eligible for a S&T.  

Once an offer sheet is signed the original team has 24 hours to match or decline.

During that 24 hour period our cap space used in the offer would be frozen, meaning we cant use it.  If the original team matches we get the space back.  If they dont, obviously the space is used up on our new player.

• Like 1

I wonder if Weaver plans on going the sign and trade route to clear some of the clutter off the roster so he can secure Johnson or if he just submits the offer sheet and takes a chance on the Nets matching. I'm kind of hoping for the former if the Nets are miraculously interested in Wiseman or Bagley. It would probably take Stewart+ I'd imagine and I don't see Weaver being interested in that.

Either way, it's bad asset management. The RFA market is a losing game. You either pay way more than value so the other team won't match, or you still pay way more than value and ALSO give up trade assets. And we're talking about an injury prone role player here, not an All-Star or even a borderline All-Star.

Go out and sign someone like Barnes to a reasonable contract instead with team option in the last year. He'll give you 90% of what Cam gives you for 60% of the cost, plus a vet presence, and a tradeable contract down the line while you develop the youth. You'll have enough cap for a second signing and you can still use your other assets in a trade to bring in a third player, a future pick, or both.

• Like 1

It blows my mind how many fans are perfect OK giving Johnson $30M a year.  If the cap does come in at $136M next year his max contract would be $34M per year.  

Cam Johnson should never, and I mean never, be approaching max contract territory.  $18M is his ceiling IMO.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Since the rumors are so strong about making an offer to Cam Johnson.  Some info on restricted free agents.

RFA's are eligible for sign and trades, but it has to happen before they sign an offer sheet.  Once they sign the offer sheet they are no longer eligible for a S&T.  

Once an offer sheet is signed the original team has 24 hours to match or decline.

During that 24 hour period our cap space used in the offer would be frozen, meaning we cant use it.  If the original team matches we get the space back.  If they dont, obviously the space is used up on our new player.

I don't think I new this technicality.  NBA transactions have a degree of timing and/or fine print such as this that can get me confused at times.  Like, when is Chris Paul going to actually dress up and play for the Lakers?

This is sort of a big change.  It was calculated at the end of the season the year before.  And the only penalty for not spending the minimum was you had to pay the difference.  So if the cap was $122M and you spent $120M you had to kick in $2M more.  I believe the players on the team split that $2M.

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

My two FA targets:

Harrison Barnes - 3/$60M year 3 is a team option.

Donte DiVincenzo - 3/$30M year 3 is a team option

No big splash and nothing fancy.  But both provide 3PT shooting and both are at least plus defenders IMO.

jeiii was talking about barnes on $25m per year for two years with a third year partially guaranteed deal.  similar.  then you can deal barnes and bagley with picks to get close to a max guy in 2 years.

i like both those moves.  let's get more shooting please.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

My two FA targets:

No big splash and nothing fancy.  But both provide 3PT shooting and both are at least plus defenders IMO.

Yes.

Although I'd be fine with someone more Forward sized (McDaniels, Craig, Strus, Thybulle, Hart, Ingles, Yuta) than Divincenzo who is only 6'4" on a team full of Guards, but I wouldn't complain about it since it just means Killian, Hami, and McGruder have to be out the door.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

And then we'll be allowed to trade Bojan?

And yes please. Also, can we toss Killian or Bagley in that trade?

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

My two FA targets:

That's probably the smart move (Barnes, not so much DiVincenzo) but it seems like the Pistons are all in on Cam Johnson. I think it's unlikely that they land him anyway.

I also saw a rumor of Caris LeVert being their fallback plan. Not sure I understand that one, he's not great defensively as far as I remember and has historically been a poor shooter.

Edited by NYLion

Anything you're seeing right now isn't from the Piston's front office. It's all something one reporter speculated on and then 15 people re-reported calling it a "rumor" or a "inside info". This front office is notoriously quiet when it comes to releasing information. Plus, every agent is using the Pistons cap space to float stuff out there and make it look like their player is wanted.

I wouldn't count on the Pistons pursuing Cam unless Monty is pushing for it and they want to appease him. Weaver has made comments in the past about how much he prefers the trade market to the Free Agency market, and even more so with restricted free agents.