Pistons Offseason - 2023

Deleterious

On 10/19/2023 at 12:30 AM, buddha said:

i'm as critical of cade as the next guy - probably moreso- but if he was healthy and was playing with lauri markkanen, caris levert, jarrett allen, darius garland and then donovan mitchell, cade would have a lot more win shares too.

acquiring levert, markkanen and then mitchell along with garland's development was a big reason they won.  mobley was too but he has a surrounding cast that makes sense, unlike detroit.

moreover, mobley needs someone to get him the ball.  if the pistons draft mobley over cade, who gets mobley the ball?  killian hayes and corey joseph?  that alone would decrease any "win share" mobley would have.

my two worries with cade are health and his 3 point shot.  other than that he is coming along nicely.  but shooting 27% from 3 is not going to cut it.

Every player benefits from playing with other good players.  Even so, I would take Mobley over Cade in a heartbeat at this point.  The three point shooting you mentioned from Cade is a real concern.  The likelihood that Cade is an all-star at some point is pretty high.  The likelihood that Cade is the franchise player we were hoping for is not very high.  Give me Mobley with his game changing defensive potential next to Ivey, Duren, and Ausar and I am feeling pretty good about the Pistons right now.  

Fingers crossed Cade takes a big step this season.  

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i cant imagine they'll be as bad as last year if cade stays healthy.

although my 30 win prediction might be a bit ambitious...

you mean the Cade that shot 3-10 in his final pre-season tune-up? Sooner or later he's going to have to actually start being the player everyone keeps touting him to be.

What sucks about Cade and the current Pistons situation is that I believe Del and others have brought up the importance of playoff experience or atleast seeing how guys play in the playoffs since it's such a different animal, with the state of the Pistons there's a very real chance that isn't going to happen in the next couple years so even IF Cade ends up being close to what we expect in the regular season we are still going to likely have to give him that extension without even knowing how he would fair in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

What sucks about Cade and the current Pistons situation is that I believe Del and others have brought up the importance of playoff experience or atleast seeing how guys play in the playoffs since it's such a different animal, with the state of the Pistons there's a very real chance that isn't going to happen in the next couple years so even IF Cade ends up being close to what we expect in the regular season we are still going to likely have to give him that extension without even knowing how he would fair in the playoffs.

Well, he’s got to prove durable enough for an extension, too.

I hope the Pistons don't cling to the notion that Cade is their franchise player too long if it is not warranted.  There is a chance Ivey could be a star in this league but his development gets slowed because we run so much of our offense thru Cade.  

46 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Well

Can I edit my season prediction post now? 29 is looking a lot more viable than 32.

"Re-evaluated in 4 weeks" means it's more like 6 to 8 before Bogie's on the court and longer before he's in game shape. This is why you trade him when his value is highest. Old guys break down.

As for Livers...same old story.

Also, what's the deal with this team and the injuries? Seems like the medical staff has been pretty bad for the past few seasons. That, or we simply have a lot of players who won't play through any issues at all.