Pistons Offseason - 2023

Deleterious

15 hours ago, Deleterious said:

We have basketball tomorrow.  3PM against Phoenix and I believe it is on NBATV.  

It’s also on BSD.  I completely forgot there was a game today.  So did the defense.  46 given up in the 1st.  Quarter.

If anyone wants to do game threads this season, have at it.  I did them last season. I think I might have done them the season before, too.  I can do them again, but if someone else wants a crack at it, I’ll pass along the keys to the complimentary company car to you.

that "game" was....something.

pistons starters got worked by the suns starters in all phases.  they shot 85% from the field in the 1st quarter.  the pistons did not.

forget about the comeback, that was the pistons bench against the suns g-league reserves, with marvin and killian showing out against guys who will be playing in des moines next year.

but since its our only real basketball to talk about, let's overreact!

ausar cant shoot and it will be a problem.  he can do everything else, though.  and that will be fun to watch.

beef stew built a house with all his bricks from 3.  still undersized in the paint but still hustlin.  solid role player material.

speaking of roll...duren and cade are going to be good at it.  marvin and killian loomed good at it too.  wiseman still sucks.  at everything.  give me marvin over him any day, at least marvin can play a semblance of offense.  wiseman just gets in the way.

cade really needs to be consistent with his shooting.  he looked in control on the dribble, finished well, but the shot just wasnt there outside of a small stretch against the suns bench.  you have to start hitting those shots and you have to be the MAN or else this rebuild is doomed.

ivey looked like ivey.  made some outside shots.

just watching the suns bury three after three while the pistons bricked shot after shot was disheartening.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

cade really needs to be consistent with his shooting.  he looked in control on the dribble, finished well, but the shot just wasnt there outside of a small stretch against the suns bench.  you have to start hitting those shots and you have to be the MAN or else this rebuild is doomed.

Situation unchanged since the day he was drafted.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

pistons starters got worked by the suns starters in all phases.  they shot 85% from the field in the 1st quarter.  the pistons did not.

forget about the comeback, that was the pistons bench against the suns g-league reserves, with marvin and killian showing out against guys who will be playing in des moines next year.

ausar cant shoot and it will be a problem.  he can do everything else, though.  and that will be fun to watch.

beef stew built a house with all his bricks from 3.  still undersized in the paint but still hustlin.  solid role player material.

speaking of roll...duren and cade are going to be good at it.  marvin and killian loomed good at it too.  wiseman still sucks.  at everything.  give me marvin over him any day, at least marvin can play a semblance of offense.  wiseman just gets in the way.

just watching the suns bury three after three while the pistons bricked shot after shot was disheartening.

Wiseman looked like he was just learning the rules for the first time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Trying to take anything away from preseason is a bad idea.  I have seen guys look god awful who are fine come regular season.  And I see guys look great in preseason and cant get off the bench in the regular season.

how about guys who always look bad like wiseman?  

11 hours ago, buddha said:

lol, it's preseason. 

Ausar did hit the biggest shot that he took in the game. I think 1 preseason game is too early to determine that he can't shoot. Even if he never becomes a plus 3 point shooter which is quite possible, he does a lot of other things that help the team. 

Edited by NYLion

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The amount of people complaining about Ivey coming off the bench.  Shut up.  He will not be a sixth man when the regular season starts.  

Agree.  But giving Evboumwan all that run in overtime?  Come on, as if he needs crunch time run.

Honestly don't care if Ivey is a starter or 6th man. Maybe the bench needs a sparkplug who can come out firing and if the defense doesn't improve, maybe that's a good spot for him. Either way, if he keeps playing this well on offense he's going to get the minutes and probably the 4th quarter finishing minutes as well which is what really matters.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Honestly don't care if Ivey is a starter or 6th man. Maybe the bench needs a sparkplug who can come out firing and if the defense doesn't improve, maybe that's a good spot for him. Either way, if he keeps playing this well on offense he's going to get the minutes and probably the 4th quarter finishing minutes as well which is what really matters.

Yeah, I don’t assume he’s a starter to begin the season.  In fact, it might be more about matching up with the opposition.  Cunningham and Duren are starting.  Stewart is likely at opening 4.  I do think Ivey is probably pencilled into there as well, but it might depend upon who gets the 3.

Hopefully there are plenty enough games where the 4th quarter matters.  By that point, it doesn’t matter who started.  Who is playing well that game?  I like those 5 guys on the court then.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 1