Pistons Offseason - 2023

Deleterious

Reid is a bench player for the Wolves while Stew is the starter here for better or worse, different roles, and the AAV is fairly equal (14 v. 16m), plus Stewart's contract kicks in a year later when the cap will be higher. It's a fair deal, nothing to celebrate but nothing to groan about either IMO.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Reid is a bench player for the Wolves while Stew is the starter here for better or worse, different roles, and the AAV is fairly equal (14 v. 16m), plus Stewart's contract kicks in a year later when the cap will be higher. It's a fair deal, nothing to celebrate but nothing to groan about either IMO.

reid would start on the pistons.  stew would be a bench player on the wolves.

like you said, its sort of an insignificant difference.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

reid would start on the pistons.  stew would be a bench player on the wolves.

like you said, its sort of an insignificant difference.

Whether Reid would start with the Pistons or not is irrelevant in contract negotiations. The reality is that Minny is paying him to come off the bench while the Pistons are paying Stewart to start, for now. Because Stewart has elevated minutes, he has pretty much double the rebounds so I'm sure that also plays a role as well.

Regardless, as we agree on, the difference between the contracts is negligible really especially keeping in mind that the Stewart contract has a 4th year team option so it's essentially a 3 year $45m contract when you take out the bonus structure.

Edited by NYLion

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Could look like a really good deal if he continues to improve.  I don't think its insane to think he improves a bit more this year and could be a $17m-$20m guy next year if he was a FA.

My first thought was what they hell are they doing but as crazy as it sounds, $16M really is that much money anymore in the NBA.  It’s probably right in line with his worth and exactly as you thought it could turn into a bargain if he continues to improve.  

I like Stewart, to my untrained eye he is the only big we have that plays any lick of defense and it seems like you can see a noticeable difference in the team defense overall with him on vs. off the court. Of course that is just my eye test, no idea if the numbers back that up at all. 

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like Stewart, to my untrained eye he is the only big we have that plays any lick of defense and it seems like you can see a noticeable difference in the team defense overall with him on vs. off the court. Of course that is just my eye test, no idea if the numbers back that up at all. 

Stew does everything 'OK', which is good on a bad team, but does he do anything well enough for a good team?

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Stew does everything 'OK', which is good on a bad team, but does he do anything well enough for a good team?

He actually has more value to a good team.  Most playoff teams run small lineups in the playoffs and Stewart is a very nice small ball center.

I think a lot of people are shocked by the dollar amount and don't realize the cap is $136M now.  Not uncommon for a bench player to get the full MLE which is $13M this year.

So $15M a year is only 11% of the salary cap this year.  That dips down into single digits next year.  Decent value for a possible 5th starter or sixth man type guy.  Even more so for a center who defensively is somewhat switchable on the perimeter.  

The Bagley extension generates a lot more anger from me than the Stewart extension.  

• Like 1

Good value contract for Stew. He's probably get more next year if we waited, especially if the three ball continues to improve. A switchable big who can play the 4/5 and hit open threes is getting closer to 20M next year if he hits the market. The fact that the 4th year is a team option makes it even better and more tradeable if necessary.

• Like 1

I'm not confident enough to place anything significant on it but I think they will beat that assuming we get the Cade from the 2nd half of his rookie year. Personally I think they're going to be more in the low 30s with potential to be a little more if guys like Ivey and Duren take steps forward and if Monty actually proves to be an upgrade over Casey. 

22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

DraftKings has the Pistons win total at 27.5

Yeah speaking of O/U I saw somewhere last week that OKC was 42.5, considering they won 40 games last year and in theory only get better considering how young their roster was and Chet being back I thought that was pretty low. It may take some best case scenarios but I would not be surprised at all if they managed to win 50 or so games. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah speaking of O/U I saw somewhere last week that OKC was 42.5, considering they won 40 games last year and in theory only get better considering how young their roster was and Chet being back I thought that was pretty low. It may take some best case scenarios but I would not be surprised at all if they managed to win 50 or so games. 

That is an odd one for OKC.

Sacramento 43.5 is really a head scratcher.  They won 48 last year.

Orlando 35.5 is another.  They won 34 last year after starting 5-20.  This seems low.

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

No subscription so I can't read it.  But the headline suggests Gores has switched to win now mode.

Tom Gores: Pistons rebuild has taken longer than planned. It's time to win now

Been saying this since the season ended. You could feel it with some of Gores statements, some of the things that came out of the organization, and the way Gores handled the Monty situation. He still thinks like a corporate businessman and Troy was only going to be able to hold him off with "not rushing the process" for so long.