Pistons Offseason - 2023

Deleterious

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Pistons acquire Joe Harris and 2 seconds from the Nets. As far as I can tell we're not sending anything back the Nets are just using a trade exemption on him. He's due like 19 million this year so I imagine this takes us out of the running of anybody major. 

why?  is this part of a larger deal?

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Just saw this pop up on my phone and am utterly confused. Weaver did the Nets a big favor for....reasons? Unless this is a precursor to a Bojan trade, this doesn't make any sense.

They needed a shooter on the wing, and they got one on an expiring deal, and picked up a couple 2nds. The have assets to do other things, if they want.

You would have to think that Bojan is on the move, if so I don't mind the move. Bojan is better offensively but Harris is equally as good of outside shooter so we don't lose anything there and he is off the books next year so no long term commitment. Plus he may be attractive to teams come trade deadline that are wanting to clear space for next year's class which is supposedly alot better.(seemingly hear that every year though so taking that with a grain of salt)

BTW what is his defense like? The 10 or so times I watched him I don't remember him standing out either way, I would have to imagine it's better than Bojan's right? 

Joe Harris doesn't play defense from what I understand right? So we brought in a 3 point shooter who doesn't play defense to try and trade another 3 point shooter in Bogdanovic who doesn't play defense? You can't put Harris and Bogdanovic on the floor at the same time if neither plays a lick of defense right?

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Joe Harris doesn't play defense from what I understand right? So we brought in a 3 point shooter who doesn't play defense to try and trade another 3 point shooter in Bogdanovic who doesn't play defense? You can't put Harris and Bogdanovic on the floor at the same time if neither plays a lick of defense right?

And Harris is a rental player...so Weaver actually helped the Nets to be able to now keep/afford Cam Johnson...the guy Weaver should have been trying to steal from them.  This is some next level basketball r*tardation if this is Troy does.

16 minutes ago, Longgone said:

They needed a shooter on the wing, and they got one on an expiring deal, and picked up a couple 2nds. The have assets to do other things, if they want.

A 32 year old $19m shooter who gets injured all the time. He just used up most of the cap space on a guy who scored 7ppg last season. Unless Bojan is being dealt to recoup that cap space, I'm not sure what the plan is. He basically did the Nets the favor of freeing them of a big contract for nothing basically.

• Like 1

I have no problem giving the Nets money to sign Johnson cause I don't think the Pistons nor most fans wanted to sign him for the amount it would've taken. I think the main gripe is if they could've gotten a better player/fit using our space than Harris, I genuinely don't know. At the very least he will provide shooting and is only on a 1 year deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have no problem giving the Nets money to sign Johnson cause I don't think the Pistons nor most fans wanted to sign him for the amount it would've taken. I think the main gripe is if they could've gotten a better player/fit using our space than Harris, I genuinely don't know. At the very least he will provide shooting and is only on a 1 year deal. 

Then I'd take Collins over Johnson...this.is bad.  Team really needs a functional, vet, stretch forward...at least we have the Lions GM to not be r*tarded. Never thought I'd say that over our other 3 big pro sports teams.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

A 32 year old $19m shooter who gets injured all the time. He just used up most of the cap space on a guy who scored 7ppg last season. Unless Bojan is being dealt to recoup that cap space, I'm not sure what the plan is. He basically did the Nets the favor of freeing them of a big contract for nothing basically.

As far as i know, he only missed significant games with injury once two years ago. 

Edited by Longgone

Wait, wait, wait. So, you're telling me that Weaver isn't going after a restricted free agent? And he's spending most of his cap space in a trade for someone that wasn't on anyone's radar instead of taking it into the free agent market. Imagine that 🙄

Seriously though...I think we have to wait until the dust settles to grade this one. At a minimum this is an expiring deal on a career 44% three point shooter. He can space the floor and allows you to kick the cap down the road since there are no real targets worth going after this year. One year contract that can be used in another trade as well.

However, as others have said, I can't imagine Bogie and Harris on the court together. That will rival Bey and Bogie for worst defense from a Forward duo in the NBA. Just keep in mind that if Bogie is moved it could be any time over the next few months, so this could take a while to resolve itself.

Edited by Betrayer

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Wait, wait, wait. So, you're telling me that Weaver isn't going after a restricted free agent? And he's spending most of his cap space in a trade for someone that wasn't on anyone's radar instead of taking it into the free agent market. Imagine that 🙄

Seriously though...I think we have to wait until the dust settles to grade this one. At a minimum this is an expiring deal on a career 44% three point shooter. He can space the floor and allows you to kick the cap down the road since there are no real targets worth going after this year. One year contract that can be used in another trade as well.

However, as others have said, I can't imagine Bogie and Harris on the court together. That will rival Bey and Bogie for worst defense from a Forward duo in the NBA. Just keep in mind that if Bogie is moved it could be any time over the next few months, so this could take a while to resolve itself.

roll over that cap space and have $60 million plus next year so we can....

watch everyone sign extensions before they hit the market.  😞

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Apparently they didn't think much of any of this years free agent options.

To this point:

Maybe they want to let Cade-Ivey-Ausar-Livers-Duren-Stew-Wiseman ferment for another year...

If they couldn't swing a Cam Johnson (if they were that interested...) this year... then maybe just punt on this year and let the kids gel into whatever they can get to this year?

Punt expensive contracts this year and take another look next year?

JEIII mentioned Harris about a week ago. I figured he was just tossing names against the wall.

This move is fine. Harris is a great shooter and at worst, a neutral defender, possibly even leaving to the plus side. Give us a expiring to move at the deadline or cap space next summer.

Big free agents are not coming here. Unrestricted free agents are 6 or 7 years too old for this team and unrestricted are overpriced because their team can match. This move was fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1