Pistons Offseason - 2023

Deleterious

Assuming Bojan stays we have him, Harris, Morris and Burks as plus outside shooters along with possibly Ivey(36% post ASB). If Cade can actually end up shooting like we thought he would coming out of college then he'd be another threat but that remains to be seen. Unfortunately though we don't have anybody in the front court that can shoot unless Beef Stew's jumper gets better.  

16 hours ago, buddha said:

roll over that cap space and have $60 million plus next year so we can....

watch everyone sign extensions before they hit the market.  😞

I haven't done the math, but I'm hearing people say close to 90M could be available next year.

But just like this year, everyone will be foaming at the mouth about various free agents and Weaver will spend his money in a trade. Hopefully a higher profile trade, but it's clear how he likes to operate. Gambling on players wanting to come to you isn't his thing. He likes to control the chips by making trades for players already under contract. 

No idea how to embed a Tweet, so I'll just type it in. This is from JEIII:

In total on Day 1, the Pistons received: Joe Harris (career 43 percent 3-point shooter), Monte Morris (from the great city of Flint and career 39 percent 3-point shooter), $2 million and an extra second. Gave up: Right to Balsa

Is it weird that I wish we gave up more? Can I just add a few names to the "Gave Up" column. Killian, Bagley, Bogey.

Few months until the season starts though, so there's still hope.

Edited by Betrayer

So this is a bit complicated and I will probably not explain it well.  But here is the theory on this deal.

The new CBA started July 1st and will not allow teams over the 2nd apron (Like the Clippers) to include cash in a trade.  So they make this trade on June 30th before the CBA kicks in and LAC can include the cash. 

Koprivica sucks and will never play in the NBA, so why would LAC buy his rights?  Most feel it was sort of a pre-payment on the upcoming Harden trade.  They send the cash before the new CBA kicks in and when the Harden trade goes down we take some garbage to help facilitate the deal for LAC.  

Just a theory some have come up with.  But it makes sense since Koprivica will probably never play in the NBA.

19 hours ago, Deleterious said:

So this is a bit complicated and I will probably not explain it well.  But here is the theory on this deal.

The new CBA started July 1st and will not allow teams over the 2nd apron (Like the Clippers) to include cash in a trade.  So they make this trade on June 30th before the CBA kicks in and LAC can include the cash. 

Koprivica sucks and will never play in the NBA, so why would LAC buy his rights?  Most feel it was sort of a pre-payment on the upcoming Harden trade.  They send the cash before the new CBA kicks in and when the Harden trade goes down we take some garbage to help facilitate the deal for LAC.  

Just a theory some have come up with.  But it makes sense since Koprivica will probably never play in the NBA.

That's interesting.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Life is too short to even think about trying to know NBA trade rules. The only thing I can take from this is that it is a strange use of the word 'apron'  :classic_wink:

Agree on the rules.  Somebody got pulled out of retirement to order to use that salary solely as a trade chip.  And then the player retired again.  I think it was Keith Van Horn.

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

He just isn't good.  He only shot 26% from three last year.

Damn shouldve verified the number before posting that, I didn't realize just how horrible he was post ASB last year.

I guess even pre break he wasn't as good as I thought he was but boy that 2nd half was brutal, no wonder he was waived. 

2 hours ago, buddha said:

one of JEIII's podcasts said sasser is definitely not 6 feet tall.  maybe 5'11 on a good day.

I heard that on his podcast, but then I thought, "he measured at the combine." I'd assume that would be more accurate than JEIII's random commentary.

Not saying he will be back for sure.  But renouncing McGruder is par for the course.

A free agent has something called a cap hold assigned to them.  It is the greater of 150% of last years salary or the average league salary.  That number is included in your teams salary cap.  It basically exists so you don't let all of your team enter free agency the same summer, sign a $130m worth of new guys, then sign all your free agents back using Bird rights.

A cap hold is a percentage of last years salary (150% or 125% depending on years in the league) or the average league salary, whichever is greater.  Since McGruder makes so little his cap hold will be the league avg salary, which I believe is around $8M.  

So you renounce McGruder, open up that $8M in cap space and later on you can sign McGruder back for the vet minimum, which even teams over the cap can do.

I am pretty sure he gets renounced every summer.