04/16/2023 1:10 pm EDT San Francisco Giants vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

I understand the weather issues at hand.  And I understand not wanting to start a game, and then delaying it shortly thereafter which could cause pitching issues.  Its only April, plenty of time to figure out a way to reschedule later on down the line even if there are only a few common off days.

The pilot issue is interesting.  I guess my assumption is that MLB teams these days have their own planes and pilots, but maybe I am wrong on that?  And maybe they do have their own planes and pilots, and I just don't understand the FAA rules.

Meh, whatever.  Nothing I can do about it.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Unironically, I assume ...

Of course not.  Facebook posts under media pages are a hoot.... that's where the dirty people are.  Lots of "I seen that" and "they should of"... you might see references to "an oriental".  On one of our dearborn history groups someone posted a picture of an old shopping center, a guy from Florida (of course) who used to live here says "It's all ARAB now".  Just like that... in caps.  ANd his profile picture was a fishing boat.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, it's a little hard to understand why the pilots wouldn't have been considered throughout the process, but that explanation is plausible.

As far as the replies go, I would imagine that most of our fanbase probably doesn't understand FAA regulations and that they exist for a reason lol

My guess is the pilots were on standby early because of possibly of a rain out so they started counting hours maybe before noon…. So by evening they were pushing the hour limits if something happened on the flight…. That’s just my assumption from watching my episodes of Air Disasters 

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

Of course not.  Facebook posts under media pages are a hoot.... that's where the dirty people are.  Lots of "I seen that" and "they should of"... you might see references to "an oriental".  On one of our dearborn history groups someone posted a picture of an old shopping center, a guy from Florida (of course) who used to live here says "It's all ARAB now".  Just like that... in caps.  ANd his profile picture was a fishing boat.

That's pretty funny—although I would not doubt that some folks do seriously write it out as "pre madonna", even though I've never seen it ...

2 hours ago, oblong said:

People bitching about weather forecasts bugs me. 

Forecaster: "We'll see some rain tomorrow afternoon"

Viewer who lives in an area where it didn't rain but it rained 7 miles away "IT DIDN'T RAIN.  THESE PEOPLE ARE MORONS.  THEY KNOW NOTHING"

Yesterday's weather was crazy.  There was rain and storms all around the area.  yes, it wasn't that bad around Comerica Park.  It was nearby.  Forgive them for not knowing precisely to the city block where it was going to be clear and for how long.

I learned shortly after moving here we're in a weird weather hole. it can be storming within 5 miles in all directions but we won't see a drop. I think for us the proximity of a couple of rivers near us may be part of what's happening. Then it could be the paper plant in the nearby burg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

My guess is the pilots were on standby early because of possibly of a rain out so they started counting hours maybe before noon…. So by evening they were pushing the hour limits if something happened on the flight…. That’s just my assumption from watching my episodes of Air Disasters 

I think "on duty" is the key.  However that is defined.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I understand the weather issues at hand.  And I understand not wanting to start a game, and then delaying it shortly thereafter which could cause pitching issues.  Its only April, plenty of time to figure out a way to reschedule later on down the line even if there are only a few common off days.

The pilot issue is interesting.  I guess my assumption is that MLB teams these days have their own planes and pilots, but maybe I am wrong on that?  And maybe they do have their own planes and pilots, and I just don't understand the FAA rules.

Meh, whatever.  Nothing I can do about it.

I think you are correct, teams don't fly commercial much if at all anymore, but there are still different kinds of non-commerical arrangements possible. A team may own a plane and employ a flying staff, which I think Ilitch did for the Wings early on, but today there is a bigger charter industry that provides custom point to point service on a contract basis. In any case, every pilot still has to follow FAA scheduling limits whether he works for you or a charter Co.

Edited by gehringer_2