04/16/2023 1:10 pm EDT San Francisco Giants vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

20 hours ago, casimir said:

7461592000.gif  5986811968.gif

San Francisco Giants vs Detroit Tigers

Watch:  Tigers - Bally Sports Detroit, Giants - NBCS BA, National - MLBN
Listen:  Tigers - 97.1 The Ticket, Giants - KNBR 680

File:Brian Bluhm Virginia Tech Memorial Plaque.jpg

I had just joined the board a few months before. I didn’t know that members made this plaque but thank you, and deep respect, to all involved. 

Looking at both teams schedules, there's basically two days remaining this season where both teams have off days and it would feasible for SF to be close enough in vicinity to schedule a make up game: July 24 (SF in Washington prior to off day) and August 24 (SF in Philly prior to off day). Also could do it during the AS Break,  but that would suck for the Tigers given that they start the second half in Seattle.

It's doable but suspect both teams would just rather get it in today if they can.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Looking at both teams schedules, there's basically two days remaining this season where both teams have off days and it would feasible for SF to be close enough in vicinity to schedule a make up game: July 24 (SF in Washington prior to off day) and August 24 (SF in Philly prior to off day). Also could do it during the AS Break,  but that would suck for the Tigers given that they start the second half in Seattle.

It's doable but suspect both teams would just rather get it in today if they can.

San Francisco travels to Miami for a Monday night game.  Detroit stays home to host the Guardians for a Monday night game (weather permitting).

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think the chance of storms is key. They can play in rain. But lightning is a no go and if conditions favor that then they wait.  From a friend down there it opened up and they told everyone to take cover…. Meaning get in the concourse. 

It looks like the weather is coming up from the south, at least for now.  There were supposed to be thunderstorms down around Toledo, but barely a sprinkle so far.

13 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

So maybe they will wait until 6 or 7 tonight.

I think they will, because there aren't many other options to make it up for the rest of the season. The Giants go to Miami for a night game tomorrow, while we have Cleveland at home. So that's mostly fine for us.

The only two real options to make it up later in the season are to either:

• have both teams give away their July 13 All-Star break day off and have the Giants come play here, after which they go on to Pittsburgh for the 14th, while we fly all the way to Seattle for the 14th; or
  • Giants stop over on July 24 on their way from Washington to go to SF for a homestand, while we give away our off day in the middle of our own homestand, which is convenient for us. However, that would make it nineteen (19) straight days we play during the stretch.

Of the two rescheduling options, the latter seems more likely.

On the other hand, the Giants are here right now, and the rain looks like it's going away for good around 6pm. So I think they wait it out.

What's the "crowd" going to be like for that?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Meh.....161 games is enough. If SF has playoff possibilities, we could make it up at the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think they will, because there aren't many other options to make it up for the rest of the season. The Giants go to Miami for a night game tomorrow, while we have Cleveland at home. So that's mostly fine for us.

• have both teams give away their July 13 All-Star break day off and have the Giants come play here, after which they go on to Pittsburgh for the 14th, while we fly all the way to Seattle for the 14th; or
  • Giants stop over on July 24 on their way from Washington to go to SF for a homestand, while we give away our off day in the middle of our own homestand, which is convenient for us. However, that would make it nineteen (19) straight days we play during the stretch.

On the other hand, the Giants are here right now, and the rain looks like it's going away for good around 6pm. So I think they wait it out.

Drunk.

Maybe they can switch it to a 10 second pitch clock. 🤣🤣

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Exactly right

54 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree—neither team will be in playoff contention, so I suspect it won’t get rescheduled if they can’t get it in today.

Neither team may make the playoffs, but there's a zero percent chance they would cancel a game in April without a plan to make it up. Way way too early in the season for that 

• Like 1

They should allow expanded rosters for make up games. That way teams might be willing to use a mutual off day later in the season.  I believe there’s much more collaboration between teams and the league now on if and when to start. If both teams are fine with waiting it out and playing in 50 degree weather with high winds at night so be it.  I bet that if SF said “look we’d rather get going for tomorrow” I think the tigers and league are fine with it.  The effects on the team in terms of wear and tear are the same now as it would be later on the season at this point.  

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

They should allow expanded rosters for make up games. That way teams might be willing to use a mutual off day later in the season.  I believe there’s much more collaboration between teams and the league now on if and when to start. If both teams are fine with waiting it out and playing in 50 degree weather with high winds at night so be it.  I bet that if SF said “look we’d rather get going for tomorrow” I think the tigers and league are fine with it.  The effects on the team in terms of wear and tear are the same now as it would be later on the season at this point.  

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is more about the Giants not wanting to reschedule later than the Tigers at this point. Being a west coast team playing out east and losing a game is difficult to reschedule under these circumstances.

From the Tigers perspective, if I was a fan who bought a ticket I'd be pissed... from a team perspective, they played a day game yesterday and play a night game tomorrow. I dont think it matters in the grand scheme as long as this doesn't drag on too long

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Did they call this one? 

They could have gotten this one in if they'd started at 1:30.    They overthought it.   It never rained heavily  

To be fair, it was a pretty close shave with the heavier rain according to the radar. The 1 PM round looks like it doused the Grosse Pointes pretty well as it moved just east of due north.

But now I think they'll just aim for 7 PM.