04/16/2023 1:10 pm EDT San Francisco Giants vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

re the game call: We also don't know that even if Kapler may have wanted to play maybe his FO agreed with Det about protecting pictchers  - or whatever the rationale ended up being. Or maybe he wasn't mad about the game call at all but what bitcing about the schedule making the makeup difficult.....

45 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I have no idea about the process but I feel like the decision should be made by the home team with consultation from MLB.  Chalk this up as part of home town advantage and the visitors having to go along with what’s decided.  

This is pretty much how it is done. The rules say that it's the home team until lineup cards are exchanged, but in practicality it's the home team along with MLB, in some amount of consultation with the visiting team. Likewise with umpires. They're not making decisions to postpone (after cards are exchanged) in a vacuum.

Given the nature of today, that they waited so long and the forecast didn’t change and what was predicted to happen did happen, I’m of the belief that they were both hoping that the weather would improve and they could play. When that didn’t play out then they called it. TThe tigers were the ones in position of not caring since they aren’t going anywhere tomorrow.  There’s collaboration as much as reasonably possible since the home team could be the visiting team next time. 

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

Given the nature of today, that they waited so long and the forecast didn’t change and what was predicted to happen did happen, I’m of the belief that they were both hoping that the weather would improve and they could play. When that didn’t play out then they called it. TThe tigers were the ones in position of not caring since they aren’t going anywhere tomorrow.  There’s collaboration as much as reasonably possible since the home team could be the visiting team next time. 

Disagree about the Tigers not caring.  Maybe for the team but organization is cheap and they lost money today getting prepped for a game that didn’t happen.  All ballpark staff still got paid  and concessions were prepared and didn’t get sold.   

47 minutes ago, oblong said:

Could be, but they knew the forecast at 2 and decided to shoot for 6:30 and both were on board for that knowing what the forecast was, which is exactly what happened. There was never (or never should have been) any expectation that the weather at 6:30 was going to be different than it was. It was exactly what was forecast. So to me the story is one (or both) sides changed their mind about agreeing to play in the conditions that were going to be present at 6:30 after having agreed to do so. Maybe a minor nit but I think a likely reality.

33 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Tigers social media getting worked up about this postponement is so ridiculous

People bitching about weather forecasts bugs me. 

Forecaster: "We'll see some rain tomorrow afternoon"

Viewer who lives in an area where it didn't rain but it rained 7 miles away "IT DIDN'T RAIN.  THESE PEOPLE ARE MORONS.  THEY KNOW NOTHING"

Yesterday's weather was crazy.  There was rain and storms all around the area.  yes, it wasn't that bad around Comerica Park.  It was nearby.  Forgive them for not knowing precisely to the city block where it was going to be clear and for how long.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

McCosky  tweeted that they did intend to play at 6+ but at some point the Giants found out their pilots to FLA were going to 'run out of hours' if they stayed that long.

The replies to this are just..... stupid.

We are a spoiled entitled lot.

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

People bitching about weather forecasts bugs me. 

Forecaster: "We'll see some rain tomorrow afternoon"

Viewer who lives in an area where it didn't rain but it rained 7 miles away "IT DIDN'T RAIN.  THESE PEOPLE ARE MORONS.  THEY KNOW NOTHING"

Yesterday's weather was crazy.  There was rain and storms all around the area.  yes, it wasn't that bad around Comerica Park.  It was nearby.  Forgive them for not knowing precisely to the city block where it was going to be clear and for how long.

Yeah it’s some kind of moral failure to not play baseball in a thunderstorm 

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

The replies to this are just..... stupid.

We are a spoiled entitled lot.

It's a really stupid reason to end up missing a game, but there isn't anything anyone can do about it once a pilot's clock runs out. That's why you make check lists for planning processes - otherwise nobody remembers to call the pilots on a rain delay.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Well then it’s totally cool that we gave him up for practically nothing.

I remember after the first game (the 4-0 shutout by McClanahan) seeing someone on the r/motorcitykitties unironically ask if anybody missed Grossman, who had hit a 3-run homer in Texas' first game...

The answer was no then, and it is no now.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's a really stupid reason to end up missing a game, but there isn't anything anyone can do about it once a pilot's clock runs out. That's why you make check lists for planning processes - otherwise nobody remembers to call the pilots on a rain delay.

Yeah, it's a little hard to understand why the pilots wouldn't have been considered throughout the process, but that explanation is plausible.

As far as the replies go, I would imagine that most of our fanbase probably doesn't understand FAA regulations and that they exist for a reason lol

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I remember after the first game (the 4-0 shutout by McClanahan) seeing someone on the r/motorcitykitties unironically ask if anybody missed Grossman, who had hit a 3-run homer in Texas' first game...

The answer was no then, and it is no now.

It wasn't because I miss Robbie Grossman that I posted that.

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

finding other pilots wasn’t option for some reason.

From what I read recently I would guess it's nearly impossible to find a pilot on short notice. Between the fact there there is shortage across the industry and that you need guys certified on your particular airplane that just happen to already be in the city you are in and aren't already doing something else. Maybe easier on the East coast where there are a dozen airports within an hour of each other. 

• Like 1