2021/22 Regular Season Thread

The Wings have had a couple serious stinkers in there.   Seems like Montreal is going to be a thorn for them, but most nights this team will compete and as good as Luke and Mo have been, they are only getting started.    

There were signs this was coming in the 2nd half of last season when they became a tough team to beat (and when Greiss played out of his head).   

Another month of this and  you might be able to speak about playoffs.      

They may be ready to go for a big free agent or two after this season. 

Which Detroit team makes the playoffs next?    Well the Wings have jumped to the front of the line. 

1. Wings

2. Tigers

3. Pistons

4. Well, you know who. 

I think it's a toss-up between the Tigers and Wings as to who will make the playoffs next, but I'd still lean towards the Tigers. My prediction on that will be impacted on how the Tigers' off-season goes. I'm hoping the Tigers contend for a spot in 2022, while I don't think the Wings will truly contend until 2022-23. 

Can the Wings stay in the playoff race this year until at least the Olympic break? Quite possibly. 

8 teams in their division. Top 3 make it automatically.  No reason the Wings can't finish above Buffalo, Montreal and Ottawa over the course of an 82-game season. But on the other hand, I think the Wings are still well behind Florida, Tampa, Boston and Toronto and wouldn't expect them to come within 10-15 points of even one of those teams this season.

So the other route is to win one of the 2 wildcards, which means they would have to allow only the top 3 Metro teams to finish ahead of them. I think Carolina and Washington are a lock for two of the Metro top 3 spots. No reason the Wings can't finish ahead of New Jersey or Columbus. So that means only one of these four teams can finish ahead of the Wings for the Wings to make the playoffs: Pittsburgh, NYI, NY Rangers, Philly. I still think that's a stretch to expect the Wings to finish ahead of 3 of those 4 teams. But ask again at the 30-game mark.

Edited by lordstanley

55 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I think it's a toss-up between the Tigers and Wings as to who will make the playoffs next, but I'd still lean towards the Tigers. My prediction on that will be impacted on how the Tigers' off-season goes. I'm hoping the Tigers contend for a spot in 2022, while I don't think the Wings will truly contend until 2022-23. 

Can the Wings stay in the playoff race this year until at least the Olympic break? Quite possibly. 

8 teams in their division. Top 3 make it automatically.  No reason the Wings can't finish above Buffalo, Montreal and Ottawa over the course of an 82-game season. But on the other hand, I think the Wings are still well behind Florida, Tampa, Boston and Toronto and wouldn't expect them to come within 10-15 points of even one of those teams this season.

So the other route is to win one of the 2 wildcards, which means they would have to allow only the top 3 Metro teams to finish ahead of them. I think Carolina and Washington are a lock for two of the Metro top 3 spots. No reason the Wings can't finish ahead of New Jersey or Columbus. So that means only one of these four teams can finish ahead of the Wings for the Wings to make the playoffs: Pittsburgh, NYI, NY Rangers, Philly. I still think that's a stretch to expect the Wings to finish ahead of 3 of those 4 teams. But ask again at the 30-game mark.

I totally forgot about Vrana. 

I am leaning towards the Wings because its a little easier to make the playoffs in the NHL.   Plus I think there could be some growing pains with the Tigers,  like Baddoo and Haase not repeating unexpected years and maybe Mize, Skubal getting figured out, plus Greene and Torkelson taking some time to develop.     I guess it depends on how they round out the pitching staff and who their SS is.      

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

They look about 2 players short to me - and that's assuming they stay healthy. So maybe someone ups their game more than we expect - a guy like Rasmussen or maybe Namestnikov could possibly. Velano could be another upgrade but I don't know if I'd make any bets on him ever being an impact player. So outside chance for this year I guess. But the further horizon is looking better.

34 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

He somehow is which I find hilarious. I feel like this happened a while ago with another goalie (Jim Carey maybe?) and it still seems odd to me.

Rookie Qualifications

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

https://www.nhl.com/info/hockey-operations-guidelines#rookie

Apparently he looked really good:

Detroit Red Wings 2021 first-round pick Simon Edvinsson is already playing to rave reviews at the U-20 Four Nations Tournament. He posted two assists in Sweden’s 5-0 opening win against the Czech Republic.

A source, with ties to the Swedish team, told Detroit Hockey Now that Edvinssson “was a monster” in the game.

“He looks better than Rasmus Dahlin did at the same age,” the source said. “He has the same offensive game and is much stronger.”

Simon Edvinsson, 18, plays at high-caliber level for Frolunda in the Swedish League. He has one goal and eight assists for nine points in 16 games. He owns a +7 plus-minus. The 6-foot-4 defenseman suffered a minor injury, but it wasn’t serious enough to keep him out of the Four Nations Tournament. Edvinsson will play for Sweden’s U-20 at the World Junior Championships.

Edvinsson is a full-service defenseman. He plays physical, is mindful of his defensive play and carries the puck with authority.

“You have to go back to Victor Hedman to find a comparable Swedish D-man, aged 18,” the source said. “The Red Wings have a gem in Simon.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

What a great past 7 months for the Red Wings: add talent in Vrana, Nedjkolvic, Raymond, Seider, and (to the organization) Edvinsson.

They still have some picks stockpiled don't they? My nagging fear is that they are going to play themselves out of any more high picks before there is enough in the pipeline behind Edvinssion and Berggren

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

They still have some picks stockpiled don't they? My nagging fear is that they are going to play themselves out of any more high picks before there is enough in the pipeline behind Edvinssion and Berggren

That can be bridged by one star free agent signing this offseason, IMO. 
You can’t build a team through free agency alone, but once you have enough of a young base you can top it up with a select high-profile signing.