The Advice Thread

chasfh

On 1/18/2024 at 6:12 AM, Edman85 said:

Can I solicit advice?

RSS... I'm trying to ditch social media and (gulp) forums as means for news aggregation. Reason being: election year upcoming, trying to focus on news instead of hysteria around it. Does anybody have any tips for using RSS or specific apps? Just kind of curious.

I've started by trying to set up Tigers RSS's (which I know is what MWG does here), but Gannett (Detroit News and Free Press) and MLive don't work with RSS.

I use it in Microsoft Outlook. You have to find the set up for it in there but it’s there and it works. I feed FanGraphs through it plus a couple other things.

Has Elon Dickhead made it literally impossible to log out of Twitter on an iPad? It’s easy to do on an iPhone, you just tap on your profile picture and a menu pops up on the left side. But you can’t do that on an iPad, at least not on the latest updated version of Twitter. I have two active Twitter account and I like to switch back and forth between them. Any ideas, anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me understand why my router is showing almost max gig speed on its iOS app’s Speedtest tab, yet I get so much less on the Speedtest app on my phone? Why is so much speed getting lost in the air on the way to my device? I get that the router is seeing 938 because it’s hooked up directly to the gateway, but why does so much speed dissipate en route to my device?

IMG_1330.thumb.png.4e6a0ddf27d1a05800e6350bc90893bb.png

IMG_1332.thumb.jpeg.4e73a1966cb8b7db483ca70736a27b85.jpeg

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Can anyone help me understand why my router is showing almost max gig speed on its iOS app’s Speedtest tab, yet I get so much less on the Speedtest app on my phone? Why is so much speed getting lost in the air on the way to my device? I get that the router is seeing 938 because it’s hooked up directly to the gateway, but why does so much speed dissipate en route to my device?

IMG_1330.thumb.png.4e6a0ddf27d1a05800e6350bc90893bb.png

IMG_1332.thumb.jpeg.4e73a1966cb8b7db483ca70736a27b85.jpeg

I can't keep track of the various wireless protocols without a scorecard, but check the link below. The 1gbps is the rate capability at the router. You should get that on any CAT6 wired connection. 287bps is the protocol limit for 40mHz bandwidth single receiving antenna wireless at 2.4gHz under 802.11ax, which based on the rate you have appears to be how your phone is linking to the router. I've seen my wireless on the my newest laptop (early 2023 - non 6E) hit 600mbps but it's not very often,  (that's 80 mHz bandwidth at 5 gHz/ 802.11AC).  I get 400bps most of the time which is 802.11ac 40mHz bandwidth at 2.4gHz. You won't likely get a 5 gHz connection if there is more than one wall of any substance between you and the router. At 5gHz things are getting to be pretty much line-of-sight.

If you believe your phone can go faster, then check to see if the 'AC' or maybe "6E" or maybe 'mimo"  wireless protocols are enabled on the router's wireless settings.

You may also need to be using WPA3 security to get an 'AC' connection but I'm unclear on that one way or the other.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005725/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I can't keep track of the various wireless protocols without a scorecard, but check the link below. The 1gbps is the rate capability at the router. You should get that on any CAT6 wired connection. 287bps is the protocol limit for 40mHz bandwidth single receiving antenna wireless at 2.4gHz under 802.11ax, which based on the rate you have appears to be how your phone is linking to the router. I've seen my wireless on the my newest laptop (early 2023 - non 6E) hit 600mbps but it's not very often,  (that's 80 mHz bandwidth at 5 gHz/ 802.11AC).  I get 400bps most of the time which is 802.11ac 40mHz bandwidth at 2.4gHz. You won't likely get a 5 gHz connection if there is more than one wall of any substance between you and the router. At 5gHz things are getting to be pretty much line-of-sight.

If you believe your phone can go faster, then check to see if the 'AC' or maybe "6E" or maybe 'mimo"  wireless protocols are enabled on the router's wireless settings.

You may also need to be using WPA3 security to get an 'AC' connection but I'm unclear on that one way or the other.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005725/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html

I am set up on the 5ghz band, 40mhz bandwidth, channel 48. That’s the best speed I can find, and I top out at 325 mb standing right on top of the router. When I switch it to 2.4ghz, it drops to under 100 mb, mostly into the 80s.

I split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz into separate bands during setup on both the router and the AT&T gateway (against the advice of AT&T, who I suspect want me on a combined 2.4ghz/5ghz setting so they can throttle my speed).

This particular router is new because the old one took a sudden dump, and when I first plugged it in during initial setup, I got 550 up and down on the very first reading, but haven’t gotten anything even close since.

I do suspect that my environment works against my getting anything over 325 mb, regardless of the settings. I am in a very big city where my house is literally ten feet from one next door neighbor and five feet from the other. I am, in fact, less than forty feet from the houses two doors down on either side. So, when I pull up available networks in my settings I see ten different Wi-Fi networks from outside the house, including three printers, in addition to the six I have in the house (two on the router, three on the gateway, my phone’s hotspot). So that might be an inhibiting factor right there.

If you had similar environmental circumstances, what steps would you take to further optimize speed?

• 3 weeks later...

Take advantage of your local library.  Reading is obviously the #1 reason but they offer so much more.   

Our pretty small and not well off city has an amazing library.  They have a 3D printer, vinyl cutter, T-Shirt press, small recording studio, laser engraver, film scanner for old home movies and negatives.  A decent amount of computers, printers, fax machine, etc.

They also offer a few meeting rooms you can book.  And they have subscriptions to some expensive services you might not want to pay for.  I use one for demographics to research different markets when we open a new location.  They have classes on genealogy.  

They also allow you to stream movies and music.  I'm sure they are not great but the price is right.

Tons of great stuff that you don't really think about being at the library.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great post man, I agree!  Ann Arbor's library is awesome too.   I've gotten dozens of guitar effects pedals from there, as well as 4 synthesizers.   They also have full size skeleton you can get, he's kinda famous around town.  

Those are just the things I'm interested in from there, all kinds of stuff available!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 10:46 PM, Deleterious said:

Take advantage of your local library.  Reading is obviously the #1 reason but they offer so much more.   

Our pretty small and not well off city has an amazing library.  They have a 3D printer, vinyl cutter, T-Shirt press, small recording studio, laser engraver, film scanner for old home movies and negatives.  A decent amount of computers, printers, fax machine, etc.

They also offer a few meeting rooms you can book.  And they have subscriptions to some expensive services you might not want to pay for.  I use one for demographics to research different markets when we open a new location.  They have classes on genealogy.  

They also allow you to stream movies and music.  I'm sure they are not great but the price is right.

Tons of great stuff that you don't really think about being at the library.  

We utilize the library with the kids quite a bit, but the film negative option is something I have not seen.  I may have to head to a couple to find one.  I have been meaning to digitize those old negatives for over 10 years, but never pulled the trigger on the machine to buy.

• 4 weeks later...

Well...........I had a PC get fried on Saturday.       The biggest hassle is that I may have lost all the music on the hard drive.  I did have it backed up but only until September, so everything after that will have to be reacquired.       So, I am going to go with a cloud storage service and back stuff up every night before I go to sleep. 

I need about 2 TB.    Any recommendations for a good cloud storage service that's affordable.   Don't need bells & whistles, just good, reliable cloud storage.     I have a freaking ton of work ahead of me to get caught up again.    This was a fairly severe blow.   

It's my ****ing house.  Damn power surge.  That damn house is gonna kill me with all of the non stop expenses. Thousands and thousands of dollars down the drain in the last year.   I'd rather just pay rent and not worry about everything ****ing breaking all the time.   I hate it.    I live alone, I don't need a damn house, I was talked into it and I should have resisted.      

I use Icedrive and I like it.   I can mount it as a drive in windows explorer (I:) and copy things over.   I use xcopy bat files a lot to make backups and  mounting the drive in this manner helps with things like that

Are you able to pull the hard drive and put it in another computer and see if you can still see the files?  A power surge may have spared the hard drive, I've also had surges that blasted my modem (it was a while ago) and my power supply but the hard drive was still ok.  

• Thanks 1

I have backed up locally to my own external drives for some 15 years now. I use a utility called Fileback that is no longer available and, in fact, the guy who created it is long dead. But his utility lives on and continues to survive new Windows OSes, and I back up literally every night because the utility is scheduled to do so. I keep files on my laptop, plus I have three redundant backup destinations so that if my laptop and one or even two drives go tits up, all at the same time, I’m covered. And it’s happened.

I have Lotus 1-2-3 sheets from the 1980s still, as well as entire ZIP drives of every file from jobs I quit as early as 1991. Not because I need them. Just because I like the idea that they’re still there.

Anyhow, I recommend getting your own utility and a couple of external drives.  It’ll cost about the same as a year or two of a cloud drive subscription, but one distinct advantage would be that no outside source will have any access to any of your most sensitive files.

I don't go too much for cloud backups because the cheap services tend to be slow and the fast services are more than the cost of doing it locally. So I do have a 100 gb google drive ($20/yr) that is mostly work files but to which I occasionally (~quarterly?) backup personal/financial/work type records and some pics. Anything that goes to cloud is encrypted! But no "bulk" files - i.e. music ( .wav) or video. I only keep those backed up locally. Before I bought the cloud space a kept a copy of this stuff at my lab so is was in two separate places.

I'm guess I'm a bout as paranoid as Chasfh about multilevel backup. The primary set of my files are on a NAS which is raid 10 (redundant). It saves a snapshot weekly and  I back it up externally monthly, but the NAS is also mirrored on my workstation and much of it on my laptop. If you have a lot of data and  don't have a desktop workstation you can put raid storage in, an NAS is good solution. They are fairly cheap, you don't do any work on it so it's pretty bullet proof - it just sits there quietly serving files. And what's better is that with most of them you can access it from the 'net, so it's also personal cloud storage.

Backup is also a big reason I don't run Windows as a primary OS. Linux or MacOS really shine for backup as compared to windows because they have "copy on write' file systems. In linux, BTRFS (or  MacOS using APFS) can export an  incremental file system 'snapshot'. Updating up a TB+ filesystem backup in BTRFS takes only seconds and each snapshot is a complete file system so recovery can be as fast as simply mounting the snapshotted file system. Plus these file systems allows for easy sub-volume divisions so one can separate things to chunks that have similar backup needs.

I started using linux as my primary file storage ~2000 and haven't lost a file since. (many NAS also run linux).

Use a trad external drive then back that up with a static external 3 tb.  Back up the disc one to the static one every 6 months or so....mostly for pictures.  Google now has many of my pics, but I dl those every few months also on the HD so they cannot hold them hostage in 10 years asking for 1000.00 a year to store them or something.

23 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm guess I'm a bout as paranoid as Chasfh about multilevel backup. The primary set of my files are on a NAS which is raid 10 (redundant). It saves a snapshot weekly and  I back it up externally monthly, but the NAS is also mirrored on my workstation and much of it on my laptop. If you have a lot of data and  don't have a desktop workstation you can put raid storage in, an NAS is good solution. They are fairly cheap, you don't do any work on it so it's pretty bullet proof - it just sits there quietly serving files. And what's better is that with most of them you can access it from the 'net, so it's also personal cloud storage.

You misspelled "careful".

• Haha 1

This is the ad.  It says it's McAfee. 

image.png.70b1e53cac6ef5d4f2a7351fa88d022f.png

It popped up TWO minutes after I closed it.    It seems to pop up every time I open a new website.  

Now I am getting nothing but ads for them here and on facebook because I dared to type their name.     

Can I ****ing sue these people?