05/12/2023 6:40 pm EDT Seattle Mariners vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, oblong said:

On the scoreboard when they list the batting lineup they used to display batting average. Tonight they showed OPS.  Mostly 5-700’s. One notable exception was a .450.

They've been doing that for a while. Opening line-up. When the players comes to bat, they show the usual stats.

4 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

Guys who wont be on this team by all star break: schpoop, gascan boyd, mayyton, am I missing anyone?

Maton will be on this team.     He might spend some time in Toledo, but he won't be off the 40 man roster.   I think Boyd is here to stay all year because he has no trade value and with so many young pitchers injured still, they need a warm body.  I am surprised Schoop is still here.     The way Ibanez is hitting, I am pretty sure they won't send him down.   If they feel like Kreidler or Nevin are ready, Schoop is probably out.   Maybe even Malloy, if they feel confident he can play the field.   Kreidler is starting to feel like that "always-inured" guy.    Kerry Carpenter is still waiting to come back too.   I think Austin Meadows will probably retire.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maton will be on this team.     He might spend some time in Toledo, but he won't be off the 40 man roster.   I think Boyd is here to stay all year because he has no trade value and with so many young pitchers injured still, they need a warm body.  I am surprised Schoop is still here.     The way Ibanez is hitting, I am pretty sure they won't send him down.   If they feel like Kreidler or Nevin are ready, Schoop is probably out.   Maybe even Malloy, if they feel confident he can play the field.   Kreidler is starting to feel like that "always-inured" guy.    Kerry Carpenter is still waiting to come back too.   I think Austin Meadows will probably retire.  

I don't know if Schoop has passed his final expiration date as an MLB player or not, but unless something changes quick, he's profiling like a guy that is going to get waived out of the league and have go to play in Japan (or equiv) for a year to get his swing back if he can before we see him back in the majors anywhere.....

Yes I think that Schoop is still here because there is not an obvious infielder at Toledo to replace him.  Malloy has had some better luck for the past game or so but Harris is going to leave him in Toledo all year, go through the ups and downs of 600 PA's, and get better defensively.  And then come out of spring training 2024 as the third baseman who plays 150 games for the next 8 years.  That's the plan, and promoting him now, as a "chess piece LOL!!!", is not a tactic that supports the strategy.

If you cut Schoop, you're going to see Nevin or Kreidler.  Excited yet?  Me neither.  The most logical replacement for Schoop would be Wenceel but he's in Erie.  So step 1 is to get Wenceel to Toledo and have him play second for a whole month.

33 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes I think that Schoop is still here because there is not an obvious infielder at Toledo to replace him.  Malloy has had some better luck for the past game or so but Harris is going to leave him in Toledo all year, go through the ups and downs of 600 PA's, and get better defensively.  And then come out of spring training 2024 as the third baseman who plays 150 games for the next 8 years.  That's the plan, and promoting him now, as a "chess piece LOL!!!", is not a tactic that supports the strategy.

If you cut Schoop, you're going to see Nevin or Kreidler.  Excited yet?  Me neither.  The most logical replacement for Schoop would be Wenceel but he's in Erie.  So step 1 is to get Wenceel to Toledo and have him play second for a whole month.

I wouldn't think they have a hard decision in place that he can't be brought to Det if his fielding does comes around. If he gets to 'passable' where the value of bat carries the glove, there's nothing that says his fielding can't continue to improve with extra work in Detroit as easily as in Tolelo. The hard decision would be if he just doesn't show the aptitude at Toledo so do how long to you keep him there working at the IF instead of sending him up to be aDH?  In that case I could see them giving him a whole year at AAA as the last chance to prevent being a career DH.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wouldn't think they have a hard decision in place that he can't be brought to Det if his fielding does comes around. If he gets to 'passable' where the value of bat carries the glove, there's nothing that says his fielding can't continue to improve with extra work in Detroit as easily as in Tolelo. The hard decision would be if he just doesn't show the aptitude at Toledo so do how long to you keep him there working at the IF instead of sending him up to be aDH?  In that case I could see them giving him a whole year at AAA as the last chance to prevent being a career DH.

Agreed but what we know about Hinch already, confirmed by that beat writer who puckered up, is that guys don't get a chance to settle in at a position in Detroit.  I don't know anything about him defensively, nothing at all.  Is there an objective way to determine his future at third base?

11 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Should Torkelson stepped on first and throw for the tag ? He caught that right next to the bag. 

He might have been better off doing that, but I don't blame him for trying the 3-6-3 with the way the inning was going.  If the double play is turned, its a 3-0 ball game and the inning ends.  Unfortunately the return throw allowed for 2 more runs to score.  Taking the force at 1st but not getting the 3rd out at 2nd or no error on the play with the force at 2nd but batter safe at 1st makes it 4-0.  Torkelson and Baez both have strong enough arms that the ball can get back and forth, and I think I remember that the throw back to Torkelson was in time but just inaccurate.

Is this play similar to baserunning where you take the extra base knowing that the only way you get cut down is with perfect throws and catches?

9 hours ago, oblong said:

On the scoreboard when they list the batting lineup they used to display batting average. Tonight they showed OPS.  Mostly 5-700’s. One notable exception was a .450.

I hadn't thought of that.  I was surprised that Bally's started with that this season.  I like it.

8 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

They've been doing that for a while. Opening line-up. When the players comes to bat, they show the usual stats.

This is my fourth game and my last game, Scherzer, I was in a suite and couldn’t see the board. Before that, against the Giants,  I had my wife with me and she was commenting about the “batting averages not being too good”.  But last night was the first time I noticed during every inning. I am thinking it is to help “liven” things up. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

This is my fourth game and my last game, Scherzer, I was in a suite and couldn’t see the board. Before that, against the Giants,  I had my wife with me and she was commenting about the “batting averages not being too good”.  But last night was the first time I noticed during every inning. I am thinking it is to help “liven” things up. 

Oh, you mean on the scoreboard at the game. I just noticed at the beginning of the game, they show the OPS when they go over the line-ups on TV.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Oh, you mean on the scoreboard at the game. I just noticed at the beginning of the game, they show the OPS when they go over the line-ups on TV.

Yeah at the game. When they display the lineup they were showing OPS.