Investing

Motown Bombers

FWIW, it is up about 5% today.

Netflix: The good, the bad and the downright ugly as investors brace for Q2 earnings

Netflix (NFLX) reports Q2 earnings after the bell on Tuesday — and investors are bracing for impact.

The streaming giant said it expects to report a loss of 2 million subscribers for the second quarter after announcing an unexpected first-quarter subscriber loss of 200,000 users in April.

One last bash of Cramer. The tape will read DOW -215ish.  In reality, it gapped up, shot to 31,644, then took a shit for the rest of the day and closed at 31,072.  That would be a -572 pt swing by the Bambino known as Jim Cramer, if my math is correct, and I've had a few beers, so it may not.

Not that this great American huckster had anything to do with today, because he didn't, for the record.  He got to ring the bell, and I can no longer get a tour of the cavernous building known as the NYSE.  They quit that after 9/11.  To this day that breaks my heart - the only reason I ever wanted to go to NY.

But it fits.  He's one of the most well known financial guys, TV, books (I read one of them) - and has been full of shit for as long as he's been spewing BS and pushing his buttons - yet they put him in front of a camera every trading day.  Apparently, being a stooge still makes you a pretty good living (of course, that's how it's suppose to work dumbass). Our poster boy for what is wrong with the financial media.

Here, have some fun.

Mad Money Soundboard

Twitter isn't messing around with this lawsuit.  They hired Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz.  Wikiepedia says:

On both a profit per lawyer, and profit per equity partner basis, it is considered the most profitable law firm in the world.

One of the founding partners, Martin Lipton, invented the so-called "poison pill defense" during the 1980s, to foil hostile takeovers.[14] Working both sides of mergers and acquisitions, Wachtell Lipton has represented blue-chip clients such as AT&T, Pfizer, and JP Morgan Chase.[16] It has had key roles in the resurrection of Chrysler in the 1970s, the acquisition of Getty Oil by Texaco, and the negotiation of the master development agreement for the World Trade Center after the September 11, 2001 attacks.[17] The firm is also known for its business litigation, and has represented clients in many of the precedent-setting Delaware corporate governance cases.[18]

Netflix only lost 790,000 subscribers. Up 8% after hours.

Funny thing is, they lost customers in North America and Europe. But gained in Asia. The average customer in Asia is worth just over $8. The other two regions were much higher. So they lost customers in the higher revenue regions and gained in the lower region. Not exactly great news. 

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Netflix only lost 790,000 subscribers. Up 8% after hours.

Funny thing is, they lost customers in North America and Europe. But gained in Asia. The average customer in Asia is worth just over $8. The other two regions were much higher. So they lost customers in the higher revenue regions and gained in the lower region. Not exactly great news. 

Would the Asian market be considered entry level? With the idea of growth with price increases gradually like in US/Europe?

Something about Netflix that bugs me.  They were saying yesterday they would lose 2M subscribers, this was from the company.  Then 24 hours later its only 900K?  They intentionally released bad info to soften todays blow of losing 900K subscribers.  That doesnt seem right.

25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Something about Netflix that bugs me.  They were saying yesterday they would lose 2M subscribers, this was from the company.  Then 24 hours later its only 900K?  They intentionally released bad info to soften todays blow of losing 900K subscribers.  That doesnt seem right.

Managing expectations? Part of the job nowadays. 

Tesla Poised for Earnings Hit From China Factory Shutdown

Tesla Inc. TSLA 2.07%▲ is expected to report its first sequential decline in quarterly profit in more than a year as it recovers from an extended shutdown at its Shanghai assembly plant.

Covid-19-related restrictions in China and ongoing supply-chain disruptions limited the company’s second-quarter production, which tumbled 15% from the first three months of the year.

Tesla, after market close, is expected to report second-quarter sales of around $16.5 billion, analysts estimate. That’s up from roughly $12 billion during the same period last year, though below the company’s $18.8 billion in first-quarter revenue.

On 6/16/2022 at 2:22 PM, Deleterious said:

Tesla just went below my target price ($639).  Still not interested in buying though.

Sort of a commentary on how conservative I am.  Currently watching 6 stocks and even with how bad things have been, Tesla is the only one below my target price.

Yeah, why would I be interested in buying?  It is only up 25% since this post a month ago.

The fact I have any money is amazing.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Yeah, why would I be interested in buying?  It is only up 25% since this post a month ago.

The fact I have any money is amazing.  

I used to check my accounts daily.  Last time I looked was about a month and a half ago, still auto depositing and auto buying on a schedule.  I could not handle what was going on...it was looking pretty bleak...and while still not good...it is not as bad as I thought it would be.  I got in on TSLA just before the split in August 2020.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I used to check my accounts daily.  Last time I looked was about a month and a half ago, still auto depositing and auto buying on a schedule.  I could not handle what was going on...it was looking pretty bleak...and while still not good...it is not as bad as I thought it would be.  

It's been a good month, but it will probably drop more before it stabilizes

Cuban has always struck me as the ultimate "Right spot right time" type of person.  Broadcast.com had revenue of $13.5M in 1999 and was sold that year to Yahoo! for over $5B.  Ahhh, the dot-com bubble.

Mark Cuban says this was his worst ‘Shark Tank’ investment ever: ‘Next thing you know, all of the money’s gone’

Last week, Cuban told the “Full Send” podcast that after investing nearly $20 million in 85 startups on “Shark Tank,” he’s taken a net loss across all of those deals combined. “I’ve gotten beat,” Cuban admitted with a laugh, before going on to share the worst investment deal he’s ever made on the TV show: the Breathometer.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Nobody knows anything. This is such an odd set of circumstances everyone is guessing.

I read a lot of financial sites and it seems like being right or wrong is almost a random event.  Perhaps, the smart ones stay silent.  I don't know.