Investing

Motown Bombers

10 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

IVV for the win with the 0.03% expense ratio.

A couple of questions;

Are you saying IVV is a buy right now, we should have already been in it, and if so, why?

I haven't really followed the expense ratio thing too much, where does .03% compare to other ETF's. I always called it "decay" and some were worse than others as far as how they tracked the underlying.

ivv1.JPG.775d58a8c86173cce4d4f74ef22265eb.JPG

IVV looks to follow the S&P fairly well, but I don't know enough about it to know if they advertise tracking that index. Their top holdings are around 15 percent large Silly Con valley corps, not that I'm saying that's a bad thing - that's just how they chose to set up the fund.

2 year monthly comparison between IVV and the S&P - IVV in yellow

Edited by Screwball

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

A couple of questions;

Are you saying IVV is a buy right now, we should have already been in it, and if so, why?

I haven't really followed the expense ratio thing too much, where does .03% compare to other ETF's. I always called it "decay" and some were worse than others as far as how they tracked the underlying.

ivv1.JPG.775d58a8c86173cce4d4f74ef22265eb.JPG

IVV looks to follow the S&P fairly well, but I don't know enough about it to know if they advertise tracking that index. Their top holdings are around 15 percent large Silly Con valley corps, not that I'm saying that's a bad thing - that's just how they chose to set up the fund.

2 year monthly comparison between IVV and the S&P - IVV in yellow

IVV is a passively managed ETF, as is SPY. They basically have the same holdings, except IVV is cheaper.

Management
Fees
  Distribution and
Service (12b-1)
Fees
  Other
Expenses1
  Total Annual
Fund
Operating
Expenses
0.03%   None   0.00%   0.03%

1 The amount rounded to 0.00%.
Example. This Example is intended to help you compare the cost of owning shares of the Fund with the cost of investing in other funds. The Example assumes that you invest $10,000 in the Fund for the time periods indicated and then sell all of your shares at the end of those periods. The Example also assumes that your investment has a 5% return each year and that the Fund’s operating expenses remain the same. Although your actual costs may be higher or lower, based on these assumptions, your costs would be:
1 Year   3 Years   5 Years   10 Years
$3   $10   $17  

$39

The net expense ratio for SPY is .0945, big difference to me.

My wealth manager doesn't have me in any 500, they prefer international equity (SCHF), Russell 2000 ishares (IWM), emerging markets fund (VWO), REIT Index fund (VNQ)/(VNQI for international); small cap etf SCHA, vanguard all world index fund VSS, and my favorite, ishares gold trust IAU.

Edited by Cruzer1

10 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

IVV is a passively managed ETF, as is SPY. They basically have the same holdings, except IVV is cheaper.

Management
Fees
  Distribution and
Service (12b-1)
Fees
  Other
Expenses1
  Total Annual
Fund
Operating
Expenses
0.03%   None   0.00%   0.03%

1 The amount rounded to 0.00%.
Example. This Example is intended to help you compare the cost of owning shares of the Fund with the cost of investing in other funds. The Example assumes that you invest $10,000 in the Fund for the time periods indicated and then sell all of your shares at the end of those periods. The Example also assumes that your investment has a 5% return each year and that the Fund’s operating expenses remain the same. Although your actual costs may be higher or lower, based on these assumptions, your costs would be:
1 Year   3 Years   5 Years   10 Years
$3   $10   $17  

$39

The net expense ratio for SPY is .0945, big difference to me.

.03 vs. .0945. Thanks, I didn't look up the number for SPY.  They are ETFs, which are now in the thousands, but they are not all the same, and some down right dangerous.  For example, leveraged ETFs, which most people should stay away from if you like to keep your money.

I see these "expense ratios" the same as fees, or decay.  Brokers might charge a trade fee, and some ETFs have higher decay than others vs the index it tracks.  For Example USO and crude oil, or SPY and the S&P 500.  At the end of the day, which ETF you chose depends on what you are trying to do - long term, short term, swing trade, day trade.  There will always be some type of fee's or decay involved.  Example; never use a leveraged ETF for a long term trade - the decay will eat you up.

EFTs give you built in diversification, but you can always buy the underlying stocks instead and eliminate the expense ratios, especially if your broker doesn't charge trading fees.  I like commodities but I have to use ETFs to do so - and they have noticeable decay - but doing your homework and getting the timing right will far outweigh the loses to to other circumstances.

I never heard it called expense ratio, but I never really paid much attention to it. I'm too old to hold stuff for lengthy periods of time, which is why I'm doing short term bonds right now.  With anything, it's all about the timing.

Decent since it was a down year for auto sales.

Tesla made an annual profit of $12.6 billion in 2022

Tesla published its financial results for the fourth quarter of 2022 on Wednesday afternoon. The company brought in $24.3 billion in revenue, a 37 percent increase on Q4 2021. Automotive revenues accounted for the lion's share—$21.3 billion, a 33 percent increase from Q4 2021. That translated to $3.7 billion in net profit once generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP) were applied—an impressive 59 percent increase from Q4 2021.

That means Tesla had an excellent 2022, despite missing its sales forecast. Automotive revenues grew by 51 percent compared to 2021, bringing in $71.5 billion. Total revenues were up by the same percentage year over year at $81.4 billion. Operating expenses accounted for $7.2 billion, and once GAAP was applied, Tesla ended the year with a net profit of $12.6 billion. Free cash flow dropped by 49 percent to $1.4 billion.

The GDP number wasn't as good as the headline numbers say it is, neither is jobless claims, but only the lazy/hacks report it that way.

BBBY (Bed, Bath & Beyond) is about to go bankrupt.  They got a default notice from the criminal bank JP Morgan.  Stock was halted a bit ago, not sure now.

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Does anybody still shop there (BB&B). The last time I was drug into the store it was full of crap. That's what happens when beancounters take over.

To the bold - I couldn't agree more - and it doesn't matter the industry.

I could write a book. Many have - nobody reads them - or listens to what they say even if they did.

And it all starts with Wall Street - the swine fucking banksters - who demand the quarterly earnings report beats expectations.

Penny smart - dollar stupid.

Another example of pump and dump bullshit when you have a giant bubble. I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong - but BBBY was one of those momentum junkies the Robin Hood traders were all over a year of so ago.  Many are now broke.

Dumb fucks

The market is a whore

Edited by Screwball

While I'm here, I didn't dig in too deep because I was short on time, but that FTX guy, or whoever he is, other than a giant crook, was banked by JPM & GS. Imagine that.

Back when I was a pup, we would call them the mafia. We just legalized it. Ponzi schemes, money laundering, propping up evil regimes. Money to be made so it's all good.  Pay a fine, admit no guilt, business as usual.

It all starts with the banksters.

57 minutes ago, Screwball said:

While I'm here, I didn't dig in too deep because I was short on time, but that FTX guy, or whoever he is, other than a giant crook, was banked by JPM & GS. Imagine that.

Back when I was a pup, we would call them the mafia. We just legalized it. Ponzi schemes, money laundering, propping up evil regimes. Money to be made so it's all good.  Pay a fine, admit no guilt, business as usual.

It all starts with the banksters.

Hey, I own stock in those crooks! 😁 (JPM and GS)

Edited by Cruzer1

33 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Hey, I own stock in those crooks! 😁 (JPM and GS)

I'm sure most people here do somewhere in their portfolio.  So their our crooks. 🙂

It is truly amazing what the large Wall Street banks get away with. Kinda, I guess, depending on how you look at it.

I go back to the financial crises of 2008-2010 ish with the aftermath. The banksters, with their reckless leverage blew up our financial system, the stock market, and many peoples lives.

And they get away with it because they really are "the smartest guys in the room." Along with owning everyone because of money they don't even have.

4 hours ago, Screwball said:

To the bold - I couldn't agree more - and it doesn't matter the industry.

I could write a book. Many have - nobody reads them - or listens to what they say even if they did.

And it all starts with Wall Street - the swine fucking banksters - who demand the quarterly earnings report beats expectations.

Penny smart - dollar stupid.

Isn’t that also the fault of…. Everyone in this thread?  Everyone wants the best rates for their investment.  This is how it happens.  

I’m not saying this to point fingers or blame. 

4 hours ago, Screwball said:

I'm sure most people here do somewhere in their portfolio.  So their our crooks. 🙂

It is truly amazing what the large Wall Street banks get away with. Kinda, I guess, depending on how you look at it.

I go back to the financial crises of 2008-2010 ish with the aftermath. The banksters, with their reckless leverage blew up our financial system, the stock market, and many peoples lives.

And they get away with it because they really are "the smartest guys in the room." Along with owning everyone because of money they don't even have.

Yeah, they have too much power to wield when they can downgrade or upgrade any stock, but that is true with most financials. The best thing about financials at this time is that most portfolio managers are using them as the #1 sector, even if they are boring, but they usually come with a nice yield. I've had shares of little known MAIN, who pays a great 7% monthly (they even have a couple of special dividends, giving out 14 dividends/year).

Also, this has been a good week for the market. Hoping the fed doesn't screw things up.

6 minutes ago, Screwball said:

INTC (Intel) getting whacked to a tune of around %6 on troubling guidance based on what I read. Was down over 8 earlier today after their earnings release.

PC sales have cratered and that's still a big driver for their business. Computer sales were one of the big beneficiaries of the work at home transisiton, but with that swinging back they are in the dumps. The Pandemic gaveth, and its passing is taking it away..

Edited by gehringer_2

15 hours ago, oblong said:

Isn’t that also the fault of…. Everyone in this thread?  Everyone wants the best rates for their investment.  This is how it happens.  

I’m not saying this to point fingers or blame. 

I wasn't talking about the investing end of things. I've been a part of too many companies where the beancounters determine/have control over too many day to day decisions made within the company. Many times look to the short term instead of the long term - hence the penny smart dollar stupid.  They only see numbers on a balance sheet, not design, engineering, manufacturing, marketing, etc. Too many times the cheap quick way to do it eventually hurts the company in the long run.  They might get a bunch of good quarters, but then it catches up with them, and the bottom drops out.

And as beancounters, I don't only mean the accountants of the company.  This holds true for the board and CEO's.  They push the stupidity because they are loaded up with stock options - so cut cut cut - beat the street.  It's not a good business model IMO.

I used to go to an annual software thing for my company.  Several thousand people were there.  Bunches of them from HP.  I talked to these guys every year.  They said Carly Fiorina was running the company in the ground.  She was awful, only cared about "now" and would not support and spend where they needed to for longer term growth.  They hated her with a passion for what she was doing to the company.  The rest is history.  At least they got rid of her.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

PC sales have cratered and that's still a big driver for their business. Computer sales were one of the big beneficiaries of the work at home transisiton, but with that swinging back they are in the dumps. The Pandemic gaveth, and is passing is taking it away..

There is more issues than PC sales.

13 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Yeah, they have too much power to wield when they can downgrade or upgrade any stock, but that is true with most financials. The best thing about financials at this time is that most portfolio managers are using them as the #1 sector, even if they are boring, but they usually come with a nice yield. I've had shares of little known MAIN, who pays a great 7% monthly (they even have a couple of special dividends, giving out 14 dividends/year).

Also, this has been a good week for the market. Hoping the fed doesn't screw things up.

It is the Fed's job to screw things up.  We wouldn't be in the position we are in if it wasn't for the Fed to begin win.  The market has crashed twice since I've been investing because of bubbles - and they still don't know what one looks like.

But they are only part of our financial system that is a sick joke.

• Like 1