Investing

Motown Bombers

44 minutes ago, pfife said:

I won't be putting any money on it either way but I think you're right, there's more down to go in housing market.

Mortgages and that 10yr bill tend to track and right now the yield curve is still inverted. If the Fed does not begin to reduce short term rates soon, long term rates will still be seeing upward pressure as the yield curve begins to normalize post inflation - so mortgages would follow upward as well, and that will pressure housing. If the Fed relents, then maybe not. The thing with the Fed is that talking tough in public to set psychology is almost as important to their success as their market moves, so even if any of they were thinking rates could come down soon, telegraphing that it is the last thing they will want to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1776 said:

It’s official, the SS COLA is 3.2% for ‘24. You can go ahead and book that cruise you’ve been putting off for awhile. 

Cruise prices are going to be more that 3% more expensive next year. Still cheaper than Mickey Land. 

Still not enough to justify the RV and adjacent costs...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Who wants to project the top of the 10 year benchmark climb? It topped 5% earlier this morning. I’ve seen commentary suggesting 8% is possible?

There is always going to be some hyperbolic predictons.  The financial analysts are some of the most hyperbolic people on the internet.  There is a lot dishonesty too as big investors love to see people panic.  Most of the commentary seems to suggest that the rates won't go much higher and will start dropping next year.  

48 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I may have commented earlier on Morningstar’s projection for future Fed actions, which is the Fed will cut in March 2024. M* has a pretty good track record on economic projections. We’ll see if they call this one correctly. 

I will be hovering around long term CDs at that point

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I will be hovering around long term CDs at that point

For the money I need to access within the next year or two, I keep doing one-month CDs (which have better rates than longer term CDs).  I've already started going longer-term on some of the money I don't need in the next year or two.   

Edited by Tiger337

39 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

For the money I need to access within the next year or two, I keep doing one-month CDs (which have better rates than longer term CDs).  I've already started going longer-term on some of the money I don't need in the next year or two.   

I've been cycling through nine-month CDs since those have been the best combination of high rate and short term flexibility. As they have been maturing and rates have stayed elevated, I've been renewing. Once they start maturing with rates starting to drop, I may start rolling over into longer term CDs at that point to lock in higher rates. I've already gotten burned (or maybe more like singed) on a 5-year CD I got in at 4% earlier in the year. Fortunately my entire retirement doesn't depend on that, but that's when I started cycling through nine-monthers.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I've been cycling through nine-month CDs since those have been the best combination of high rate and short term flexibility. As they have been maturing and rates have stayed elevated, I've been renewing. Once they start maturing with rates starting to drop, I may start rolling over into longer term CDs at that point to lock in higher rates. I've already gotten burned (or maybe more like singed) on a 5-year CD I got in at 4% earlier in the year. Fortunately my entire retirement doesn't depend on that, but that's when I started cycling through nine-monthers.

I went in too early at 4.3%, but I suspect 4.3% will look pretty good in a few years, so I'm not upset about it.   I am happy that I don't have such a high percentage in stocks now.  It's good for peace of mind.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Have there been any buyers of long bonds here recently? Corporates are above 6-7%. I debated putting some $ into a VG index fund of long dated funds. 

I'm just about to.  I was 100% in equities (index funds) until last week, and sold it all because Govt of Canada 10 year is above 4% for the first time In 15 years.  So I am buying some of that, some Province of Ontario, and some corporates at around 6% although the corporates that I have access to are callable.

21 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm just about to.  I was 100% in equities (index funds) until last week, and sold it all because Govt of Canada 10 year is above 4% for the first time In 15 years.  So I am buying some of that, some Province of Ontario, and some corporates at around 6% although the corporates that I have access to are callable.

I would think anything above maybe 4% would be callable so yeah, get it while it’s hot.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

fwiw…

Morningstar is projecting six rate cuts next year.  I would not have imagined that many cuts. 

There appears to be a Santa Claus rally if it can hold. 
Santa has a new elf, his name is Jerome.

I hope so the loan industry is stagnent. I just saw a buddy realtor post that IR's are down to 6% LOL. I locked mine in at 2.35% two years ago.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

fwiw…

Morningstar is projecting six rate cuts next year.  I would not have imagined that many cuts. 

The Fed signalled three. If they get to 6 that probably means a recession has started so I'd as soon not see that.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

fwiw…

crazy I was seeing a lot of talk about 3 cuts next year

• 1 month later...

People have developed a false sense of normal since the 2009 crash. Fed rates may well not go below 3% again and the difference between 5% and 3% in terms of what investments get funded is not that great. We had an anomaly in the ~15 years after the crash. The housing crash let the air out of the balloon and demographic factors led to a long demand drop (the boomer reached the age where they stopped buying much) but as those effects fade I think we are not likely to see the rates of the 2010's come back so my take would be that we are already closer to the new (old)  'normal' than you'd think listening to financial reporting.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1