Investing

Motown Bombers

On 2/16/2023 at 11:54 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Couldn't figure out where to ask this, so I do it here. 

Does anyone use Rocket Money? 

I know that I have things I am paying for but not using and I guess its a good ap for finding everything.    But, I am apprehensive about giving them or anyone my bank information (but of course, this is how they find things I am paying for that I shouldn't be paying for). 

Okay.......Go...........

Maybe this will help

https://clark.com/save-money/truebill-review/

For shits and giggles I read that article. I would say it is unbelievable what they will do, but it's not. This is where we are, apparently. They will find ways to save you money, want all your financial information, access to all your shit - then whack you %40 percent "If" they save you money. And potential other charges, fees, and plans. What a fuckin deal. And the BBB ratings were shit before they changed names, another red flag.

Someone would be better off spending a few bucks a month for something like Quicken. That would do what most people need to do, and probably provides plenty of help and instructions.

Quickbooks vs. Quicken: What's the Difference? - from Investopedia

Quickbooks is business while Quicken is more for home use, but the article talks about what it will do. Then there is always their website.  I've used both and thought they were excellent.

I think (hope) that in a few years we will look back and see current LiCo based batteries as a transitional technology and we'll wonder how we got so far down the line of using anything that hazardous. Sort of like how we started out using seriously poisonous carbon-monoxide rich coal gas as utility gas in cities before methane natural gas replaced it.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Industries don’t care about externalities until it comes back to bite them, people die, and then they are pressured to change. Then they finally invest in change using government subsidies, the changes are made, and then everyone moves on and forgets.

and to be fair, some things about any given technology are going to be unknowable until they are actually rolled out into more common use. You can stress test and simulate all you want, all of which is good, but you still never know for sure if you've closed all the potential knowledge gaps until you find out you haven't. Learning curves are real.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

and to be fair, some things about any given technology are going to be unknowable until they are actually rolled out into more common use. You can stress test and simulate all you want, all of which is good, but you still never know for sure if you've closed all the potential knowledge gaps until you find out you haven't. Learning curves are real.

There is ample evidence that industries routinely know about the harm their products do for decades and do nothing about them because it jeopardizes sales, profits, bonuses, stock price, options, all that. Tobacco was one; oil companies re: global warming is another. Granting some situations are shrouded in ignorance, others exist in the bright light of day.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

There is ample evidence that industries routinely know about the harm their products do for decades and do nothing about them because it jeopardizes sales, profits, bonuses, stock price, options, all that. Tobacco was one; oil companies re: global warming is another. Granting some situations are shrouded in ignorance, others exist in the bright light of day.

Having worked in the oil and chemical biz, I could give you plenty of that evidence 1st person. The people on the inside sort of work under a shared mass delusion that they are providing an indispensable service that justifies the social cost, even while taking that judgment unto themselves by concealing facts rather than allowing the society at large to make that decision for itself. (It's not about our profits.....really.....[not])

In the abstract, one must admit that given a oncoming calamity like global warming it would not be irrational for society to judge lithium battery chemistry, or for that matter nuclear power, to be acceptable risks, in the same way we have judged the necessity of personal mobility to be worth the dangers of automobiles. But a society where such decisions are reached in cool analytical deliberation with the Sun shining on the full set of facts is sadly.....utopian.

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Having worked in the oil and chemical biz, I could give you plenty of that evidence 1st person. The people on the inside sort of work under a shared mass delusion that they are providing an indispensable service that justifies the social cost, even while taking that judgment unto themselves by concealing facts rather than allowing the society at large to make that decision for itself. (It's not about our profits.....really.....[not])

In the abstract, one must admit that given a oncoming calamity like global warming it would not be irrational for society to judge lithium battery chemistry, or for that matter nuclear power, to be acceptable risks, in the same way we have judged the necessity of personal mobility to be worth the dangers of automobiles. But a society where such decisions are reached in cool analytical deliberation with the Sun shining on the full set of facts is sadly.....utopian.

I think many people are behaving rationally on an evolutionary basis, since people have been wired since evolution to respond to immediate danger, rather than still-hypothetical danger. And as long as summer days are still within a recognizable temperature range, the water is still flowing out of the tap, the utilities are still humming, and we can still get stuff in the stores or online, global warming is still hypothetical to millions of people, especially those who generally never want to change anything about how they’re living.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think many people are behaving rationally on an evolutionary basis, since people have been wired since evolution to respond to immediate danger, rather than still-hypothetical danger. And as long as summer days are still within a recognizable temperature range, the water is still flowing out of the tap, the utilities are still humming, and we can still get stuff in the stores or online, global warming is still hypothetical to millions of people, especially those who generally never want to change anything about how they’re living.

Unfortunate mismatch between the specie's evolutionary time scale and it's ability to mess up the planet. 🌎💤

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen any discussion on Here yet about it, but it's amazing how quick the Libertarian, boot-strapper, Musk-adjacent tech-bro class all of a sudden is taking so much interest in having Silicon Valley Bank insured beyond the limits stipulated in law...

If it was the First National Bank of Alpena or something like that, they wouldn't care less lol

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Haven't seen any discussion on Here yet about it, but it's amazing how quick the Libertarian, boot-strapper, Musk-adjacent tech-bro class all of a sudden is taking so much interest in having Silicon Valley Bank insured beyond the limits stipulated in law...

If it was the First National Bank of Alpena or something like that, they wouldn't care less lol

The same folks who skewered Bush/Obama for the 2008 bank bailout

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Didn’t something similar happen with GameStop?  Like wait a minute. We gotta step in. These hedge fund managers are being played for fools by internet people so we gotta protect them. 

Markets are nice when they work:

Lithium, the common ingredient in almost all electric-car batteries, has become so precious that it is often called white gold. But something surprising has happened recently: The metal’s price has fallen, helping to make electric vehicles more affordable.

Since January, the price of lithium has dropped by nearly 20 percent, according to Benchmark Minerals, even as sales of electric vehicles have soared. Cobalt, another important battery material, has fallen by more than half. Copper, essential to electric motors and batteries, has slipped by about 18 percent, even though U.S. mines and copper-rich countries like Peru are struggling to increase production.

The sharp moves have confounded many analysts..

....other industry experts said the drop suggested that new mines and processing plants were solving the lithium problem sooner than many analysts had thought was possible.

NYT Li story

I think we had discussed this a few months ago when the question was asked where are we going to get additional lithium and these other scarce materials and we both answered that the materials are everywhere; the investments only needed to be made into locating and extracting these materials... and the answer was poorly received.

And...

Looky here...

We were absolutely 100% correct.

I never thought otherwise...

Edited by 1984Echoes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, 1776 said:

How’s that 10 year treasury yield looking right about now? Mortgage rates headed up. Redfin CEO says housing market has hit rock bottom. I think there is more downside yet. 

I won't be putting any money on it either way but I think you're right, there's more down to go in housing market.