Investing

Motown Bombers

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I also wonder how many are just working black. People can be doing light fabrication and design with 3d printers, remote web and programming tasks for cash payment and with home improvement work through the roof (also due to remote work) you probably have a LOT of builder/home reno guys that might also be working black. IIRC we saw some of this in the construction business after the last crash when guys laid off as construction employees had to start freelancing.

Oh, please. That's about as stupid as some dipshit who told people to learn to code.

I can't find it, but I read something not long ago that the 8 year loans were drying up. There is a chip problem too. I was at my dealer twice in the last couple of months - a ghost town - and not many cars on the lot. Not that that matters, this is Cornhole.

From Finviz (1 year performance)auto1.JPG.bd0f106925baaf1683c60d3518699f64.JPG;

5 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I can't find it, but I read something not long ago that the 8 year loans were drying up. There is a chip problem too. I was at my dealer twice in the last couple of months - a ghost town - and not many cars on the lot. Not that that matters, this is Cornhole.

From Finviz (1 year performance)auto1.JPG.bd0f106925baaf1683c60d3518699f64.JPG;

saw an acquaintance over the holiday who works at a local GM dealer. Said inventories were coming back into decent shape but no-one can afford what they have to sell.

Seeing where Tesla has begun cutting prices. It seems partly because they can't compete on the lower end models and partly because to tax breaks for customers who buy EV's under $55,000.

We've been seeing more Teslas in this area of the country. I'm thinking a lot of it is the proximity to the DC suburbs.

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/16/tesla-price-cuts-elon-musk?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiospm&stream=top

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Seeing where Tesla has begun cutting prices. It seems partly because they can't compete on the lower end models and partly because to tax breaks for customers who buy EV's under $55,000.

We've been seeing more Teslas in this area of the country. I'm thinking a lot of it is the proximity to the DC suburbs.

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/16/tesla-price-cuts-elon-musk?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiospm&stream=top

Yeah, Teslas are common as dirt in NoVa.   No way I'd spend that much money on that guy's product.    

RE: Earnings calls

If you have never listened to one of them, you should. Once you get past the boring numbers at the beginning and the questions start, they are very informative, and sometimes quite entertaining. Depending on the size of the company, there will be X amount of Wall Street analysis on the call - asking questions.

They are public and you can listen to the WS guys make our companies big wigs look like complete idiots. They knew more about the company (industry/sector) than the people putting on the call - the big swinging dicks who we work for.  Which is why they work on WS to begin with. And make a lot more money.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:12 AM, Cruzer1 said:

It's a great time to buy CD's. I bought 2 (through Fidelity on my IRA) at 5.1% that were not call  protected, and 4 at 4.4% that are protected. I think they are both 3 years or so.

If I can't touch money for three years, I want a lot more than that... Call me crazy; but CD's never appealed to me.

Low fee index funds for the win, set and forget. We aren't smart enough to beat the market.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

If I can't touch money for three years, I want a lot more than that... Call me crazy; but CD's never appealed to me.

Low fee index funds for the win, set and forget. We aren't smart enough to beat the market.

You are younger, so it makes sense to stay in the market, although there are no guarantees..  Some of us are at an age where we might need our money sooner rather than later.  It took 8 years to recover from the 2000 crash.  I can't afford that risk now  Thus, I am putting money I think I'll need for the next 10 years into CDs and keeping longer term money in the market.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Guaranteed money doesn't hurt. I see it as income, all of my dividends and interest payments are income, which is pretty important to have at this time. The interest rates are high, its important to take advantage of that.