05/23/2023 7:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

casimir

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Torkelson pushes his OBP back over 300 for the time since early last season. Steps.

The Royals didn't give him much to work with tonight... which kinda speaks to the fact that the depth of the lineup drops off precipitously past the cleanup spot.

They really need Carpenter back to add a little more thump

Just now, mtutiger said:

The Royals didn't give him much to work with tonight... which kinda speaks to the fact that the depth of the lineup drops off precipitously past the cleanup spot.

They really need Carpenter back to add a little more thump

No, in fact after the foul shot into the 3rd deck and the screamer it took Bradley's best play to catch, they didn't seem to want any part of him. And to get that kind of respect from the opposition has to be a big win for Spencer's confidence.

This team still needs a lot of help. They are about to trade their best starting pitcher, their only above average one at that. The rest of the rotation are 5th-6th starters. The pen is ok but that of course can change on a dime. The young pitching they do have are all hurt and can't be counted on to provide maybe one decent guy for the rotation.

The stariting line up is loaded with second division regulars. And they have one of the worst farm systems in baseball.

I think it's more likely they trade Lange and continue building for future than not. And the next year will be another off season of low level aqusitions and roster churn.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

This team still needs a lot of help. They are about to trade their best starting pitcher, their only above average one at that. The rest of the rotation are 5th-6th starters. The pen is ok but that of course can change on a dime. The young pitching they do have are all hurt and can't be counted on to provide maybe one decent guy for the rotation.

The stariting line up is loaded with second division regulars. And they have one of the worst farm systems in baseball.

I think it's more likely they trade Lange and continue building for future than not. And the next year will be another off season of low level aqusitions and roster churn.

By the time the best pitcher who is about to be traded is actually traded, they will have a better idea of what they will get back off of injury; one presumes that Skubal and Manning will all be back by the deadline.

Either way, Lange is young and controllable in his own right, and they had better get a haul in return if they do trade. Particularly in this division... it would be one thing if they played in the AL East or NL West, but all of their negatives in the AL Central still has them competing in late May. And I dont suspect that dynamic is changing past this season...

I would never consider a reliever to be a building block.  They tend to have short primes and are more useful to contending teams than building teams.  However, given how weak the central division is, I don't know if I want the Tigers to be in re-building mode.  They may be able to contend this year and/or next if they can get enough pitchers healthy.  They might even consider not trading but extending Rodriguez so he won't opt out. It depends on how well he pitches and how well the team plays the next two months.   

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1

I 'm saying if you take an objective view of this franchise and where they are at, now is not the time to hold on to volatile assets like young relievers and players close to free agency.

It will be a while before they know what they have in Mize and Jobe, and they just can't sit still for another year.

Edited by Stanley70

Alex Lange is establishing himself as a bullpen linchpin, and he’s practically free through next year and cheap for another three years after that. I think he would have to return a position player well into the top 100 who will be ready no later than next year, at minimum. It’s going to take a lot more than another Maton and/or Vierling to pry him from Harris’s warm, live hands.

• Thanks 1