05/26/2023 6:40 pm EDT Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

THis game sucks but I believe this is the first time this season that we got blown out so bad we resorted to using a positional player as a pitcher, seemed like a regular occurrence last year. 

I believe Zach McKinstry got some tosses in earlier in the year against Boston?

Overall it has been a while

21 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Agreed but looking down in Toledo not much help there.

Sure.They are probably gonna have to ride Wentz... Which, it is what it is. We know the stuff is there, obviously it'd be better if they could drop him to Toledo to find it, just have to see if he can bounce back next time.

As far as Tyler Alexander goes, increasingly unclear as to his point on this team... Seems like every outing is 2IP, 3R lol

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Which, it is what it is. We know the stuff is there

Dirks was pushing the idea that his change and slider are not different enough so that he appears to hitters as a two pitch pitcher and even at that the velo difference to his FB is not enough anyway. Dirk's suggestion was to develop his curve, I suppose other other options are to look for a little more FB velo via mechanics study, decrease the velo on the change by using a different grip, work on getting more hoirzontal differenct between the slider and change. Any and all of which are certainly clear to Fetter, but can he get Wentz to one of them?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Dirks was pushing the idea that his change and slider are not different enough so that he appears to hitters as a two pitch pitcher and even at that the velo difference to his FB is not enough anyway. Dirk's suggestion was to develop his curve, I suppose other other options are to look for a little more FB velo via mechanics study, decrease the velo on the change by using a different grip, work on getting more hoirzontal differenct between the slider and change. Any and all of which are certainly clear to Fetter, but can he get Wentz to one of them?

It’s possible that he’s working on something behind the scenes but it’s just not game ready.  And maybe the plan was to work on that in Toledo, but here we are with the pitching injuries.  I don’t know, just speculation.

Patience is probably the best course of action right now.  There aren’t many other in house SP options right now anyway.

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Sure.They are probably gonna have to ride Wentz... Which, it is what it is. We know the stuff is there, obviously it'd be better if they could drop him to Toledo to find it, just have to see if he can bounce back next time.

As far as Tyler Alexander goes, increasingly unclear as to his point on this team... Seems like every outing is 2IP, 3R lol

Yeah, it’d be nice if Alexander were a semblance of a fill in SP, but that just doesn’t seem plausible right now.  I think Alexander’s last two outings were relief appearances in a Wentz start.  The timing would work out, but swapping one for the other might not yield the short term results that they need.  And I’m not sure there are long term concerns to worry too much about for either pitcher.