05/31/2023 1:10 pm EDT Texas Rangers vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

38 minutes ago, Archie said:

I don’t know about today but I think A. Meadows was in the dugout last night.  Maybe a good sign?

Not necessarily new. I've seen him in the duguout on occasion since he's been on the DL. But sure, a better sign that he is with the team than not.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't think you'll see either Meadows in Detroit for the rest of this year.

I think that if the team believed Parker Meadows could play at this level now, he'd have been called up.    Sadly, I'm not expecting Austin to ever play again.    His anxiety might be a long term side effect of the Vertigo.  This constant feeling like it's coming back (like an ECHO)

It's impossible to know exactly how Meadows feels but maybe it is just an instance that this doesn't effect his everyday life at all it's just something that comes along now when he is in the batters box.

Hell it may not even be severe or completely debilitating but it effects him just enough where he isn't 100% there at the plate which is enough for him to realize that all he is doing is hurting himself and his team by trying to play through it. 

Again though nobody knows and this is just complete speculation but for his sake I hope it's something like this and not something that is effecting him continuously. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's impossible to know exactly how Meadows feels but maybe it is just an instance that this doesn't effect his everyday life at all it's just something that comes along now when he is in the batters box.

Hell it may not even be severe or completely debilitating but it effects him just enough where he isn't 100% there at the plate which is enough for him to realize that all he is doing is hurting himself and his team by trying to play through it. 

Again though nobody knows and this is just complete speculation but for his sake I hope it's something like this and not something that is effecting him continuously. 

Yes I hope that it is just a baseball thing that doesn't affect him off the field.  How likely is that though?  I don't know the first thing about it. 

5 hours ago, Archie said:

I don’t know about today but I think A. Meadows was in the dugout last night.  Maybe a good sign?

to add to this, I came across the story on May 24th in the Athletic -  Stavenhagen confirms Meadows is in the clubhouse everyday with his mates, puts on his uniform and works out  - just doesn't play. So no doubt you (and I) have see him in the dugout.

https://theathletic.com/4545548/2023/05/24/the-tigers-are-providing-more-mental-health-resources-but-important-questions-remain/

Edited by gehringer_2

16 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Seager runs himself out at second, McKinstry with the throw from right field.  Shreve is lobbing them in there at 82 mph

Baddoo had a couple of throws from the OF to 2B that seemed stronger than normal, too. 

One nearly nabbed someone at 2B, the throw just slightly off of the bag but on a good catchable bounce for Maton.  I wonder if Maton could have positioned himself better trying to tag the hitter (Semien?), and kept the tag on him.  He actually slid off of the base and regained it before being tagged out.

The other was a bit of an off balance throw that was off of 2B.  He ranged far from his initial position towards the LF line, caught the bounce, had to plant, then pivot, and then throw.  The plant and pivot were tough to maneuver given the path and speed to collect the hit.  That said, it was a pretty strong throw into the infield considering he had been running away from 2B, and it was that strength that caught my eye.

I think its easy to forget he's only 24 since this is his 3rd season with Detroit.  And it was mentioned elsewhere recently that maybe he's one of the players that really took a developmental hit due to the double whammy of Tommy John and COVID.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Baddoo had a couple of throws from the OF to 2B that seemed stronger than normal, too. 

One nearly nabbed someone at 2B, the throw just slightly off of the bag but on a good catchable bounce for Maton.  I wonder if Maton could have positioned himself better trying to tag the hitter (Semien?), and kept the tag on him.  He actually slid off of the base and regained it before being tagged out.

The other was a bit of an off balance throw that was off of 2B.  He ranged far from his initial position towards the LF line, caught the bounce, had to plant, then pivot, and then throw.  The plant and pivot were tough to maneuver given the path and speed to collect the hit.  That said, it was a pretty strong throw into the infield considering he had been running away from 2B, and it was that strength that caught my eye.

I think its easy to forget he's only 24 since this is his 3rd season with Detroit.  And it was mentioned elsewhere recently that maybe he's one of the players that really took a developmental hit due to the double whammy of Tommy John and COVID.

On the 1st throw you note, if the receiver had been Baez,  Akil would have had the assist. He has been making some better throws recently.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

That could very well be.  There are varying degrees of anxiety, but when you are a professional athlete, I would think that even periodic episodes of anxiety could throw off your performance to the point where you can't do your job.  I think most jobs are not quite like that.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That could very well be.  There are varying degrees of anxiety, but when you are a professional athlete, I would think that even periodic episodes of anxiety could throw off your performance to the point where you can't do your job.  I think most jobs are not quite like that.  

yeah - you could be 100% capable in every ordinary aspect of your life and still feel like you are drowning everytime you step in the batter's box for batting practice and can't see or get around on anything, which is one possiblity of where Austin is.

I really am interested to know more.  I know it's none of my business and I'm not expecting to know.  Just curious. It could be something that triggers him just enough to not perform at the level required.  Distractions. Thoughts going on in his head.  What used to be called The Yips.  Steve Sax,  Knoblauch, Ankiel...

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

I really am interested to know more.  I know it's none of my business and I'm not expecting to know.  Just curious. It could be something that triggers him just enough to not perform at the level required.  Distractions. Thoughts going on in his head.  What used to be called The Yips.  Steve Sax,  Knoblauch, Ankiel...

Hadn't thought of it as being the yips.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

My teenage son has major anxiety every Sunday night before the school week. I ask him if he is behind in any class or somebody picking on him and it was always no. He could never expalin why but I think it was just the idea of what the week ahead might bring. Anxiety is a wild animal...