06/11/2023 11:35 am EDT Arizona Diamondbacks vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

I watched this game on Peacock and having Gibby without everyone else we usually get was a pretty good broadcast team. Yeah, and Luis Gonzalez was very entertaining when he explained how he just figured out some things when he left Detroit and went to Arizona to hit 57 home runs once during the ‘roids era. 

19 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

What are people's thoughts on using Vest in the first inning instead of the last game?  Was it a good managerial strategy that just didn't work out?  

I would say the 'starter' strategem worked exactly as designed today. Getting to the 6th inning with 4.1 IP from Wentz and only 2 runs on the board is absolutely a successful result for your pitching plan. That part worked fine. They lost this one because Foley and Lange both picked the same day to not be able to throw strikes. If you are managing by likelihoods, that's not the one you should spend your time planning for because you don't have any workaround for it anyway.

With every failure, the value of Javier Baez goes down - and it makes it more possible that he won't be able to command what he's making now and we're stuck with him.        I will remove Miguel from the equation because of his advanced age, but is Javy Baez the worst starting player in the Majors?      I hope he hates it here so much that he just leaves anyway.  What a disaster.     I know they have a lot of injuries (because they're cursed), but if feels like when Riley went down - they quit.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If we are now going to see the bad side of bullpen volatility, this is going to get really ugly.  The bullpen is the main reason the Tigers were respectable in 2021 and the first couple months of this year.  

Honestly,  they're having to use them in starting roles now - it throws everything off.     Everything is going wrong.   Just no depth for this team.   All those years and Avila left NOTHING.   

Not holding out hopes for Colt Keith either.  Success at AA doesn't always translate - and you know, Tigers Luck.   He'll probably get life-altering hemorrhoids that sideline him for 2/3s of his rookie season.   Or Vertigo   Or some sort of muscle-locking condition that nobody ever gets anymore.   You know, somethin like that.