06/24/2023 7:15 pm EDT Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

OK tell us more about that photo.

It’s Ozzie Virgil.  His name popped into my head, I did a quick image search, and this one really stuck out to me.

I don’t put a whole lot of time or thought into game thread photos.  Obviously things like Opening Day and remembering estrepe are noteworthy.  I like to tie in the opponent at times, I think that’s been obvious with some of the players that have shown up that have played for both franchises.  I think you caught me on Dan Gladden last week.  But besides that, it’s generally whatever comes to mind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, casimir said:

It’s Ozzie Virgil.  His name popped into my head, I did a quick image search, and this one really stuck out to me.

I don’t put a whole lot of time or thought into game thread photos.  Obviously things like Opening Day and remembering estrepe are noteworthy.  I like to tie in the opponent at times, I think that’s been obvious with some of the players that have shown up that have played for both franchises.  I think you caught me on Dan Gladden last week.  But besides that, it’s generally whatever comes to mind.

Well, thanks for doing them. Great place for us all to vent? 😆

Maton is batting 5th again today. He is SO due!

7 minutes ago, jz68 said:

If I'm being honest, I'll be paying more attention to the College World Series tonight.  It has been really entertaining so far and LSU vs Florida shouldn't let me down.  

I looked it up, it's a best of 3 series. Every single pitch has drama in such a short series.

Ozzie Virgil was one of those guys who did nothing of value during his playing career, but I heard about him forever because he was a coach for 19 years. Because I heard his name as a coach and many anecdotes about his playing days, I thought he must have been a decent player, but accumulated negative WAR over a span of 14 years.  On top of that, his son Ozzie Jr played 11 seasons and actually was decent which confused things even more.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I looked it up, it's a best of 3 series. Every single pitch has drama in such a short series.

This is really my first time paying attention to it, other the 2019 of course, and it's been a really good tournament.  So many one run games, late inning comebacks and a couple walk offs to boot.   

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Ozzie Virgil was one of those guys who did nothing of value during his playing career, but I heard about him forever because he was a coach for 19 years. Because I heard his name as a coach and many anecdotes about his playing days, I thought he must have been a decent player, but accumulated negative WAR over a span of 14 years.  On top of that, his son Ozzie Jr played 11 seasons and actually was decent which confused things even more.

Another reason I'm sure you heard about Virgil, at least as a Tigers fan, is that he was the Tigers first Black player. I'm sure you know this. 

32 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Another reason I'm sure you heard about Virgil, at least as a Tigers fan, is that he was the Tigers first Black player. I'm sure you know this. 

Yeah, that was one of the anecdotes, although it didn't have much of an impact on me at the time he was coaching.  My interest in the history of Blacks in baseball is more recent.  I don't know if he identified himself as "Black", but he surely faced all the same prejudices at the time.  

Edited by Tiger337