07/06/2023 1:10 pm EDT Oakland Athletics vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

2 hours ago, oblong said:

everyone can calm the F down now...

Easier said than done when it’s been four whole days since Torkelson’s multi-homer game and he only got on base a total of three times over the past two games. 

Edited by lordstanley

7 hours ago, Edman85 said:

How much have the pitching injuries hurt this year's squad? They are winning bullpen games. Faedo and Olson have acquitted themselves well. The two costs I can think are they had to let Wentz wear it longer than ideal, and maybe a bullpen implosion or two could have been prevented with more rest.

Having almost half the position players at or below replacement level is the issue. An issue I thought would be resolved by Harris churning harder. There is depth in Toledo and it is a bit surprising to me that they have chosen not to tap into it.

The Tigers are 25th in the majors in RA/G, so run preventon has also been a problem.  Their bullpen has bailed them out a lot, but their run prevention would be a lot better if Skubal, Mize, Manning, Turnbull were healthy and living up to their potential which is pretty substantial collectively.  It's probably unreasonable to expect all of them to succeed next year, but I think that is their only possible route to a quick turn around. 

Their offense is terrible and I don't think any amount of mixing and matching will make a big difference.  They need better players which means young hitters will have to develop or they'll need to acquire position players outside the organization.

I am curious which depth players you think they need to tap into more?  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

He told a fan to get off him yesterday.  I don't see how scolding fans can ever turn out well for a beat writer.   

Yeah that was what i was referring to… dont see beat writers react to comments on twitter often..yikes

9 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Well, the big elephants in the room are Keith, Meadows, and Justyn Henry-Malloy. Keith, I've gone over to death, is somebody you want to keep that PPI tag attached to. Meadows just started heating up in the last month (as I replied to a Woodberry tweet about why he wasn't brought up when Baddoo and Greene were hurt: he hadn't earned it yet at that point). JHM is probably the one I would try to bring up, but his fielding clearly leaves a lot to be desired and it just just tough to have two DH-only RHB on your squad. Keep that sentence in the holster next time a Miggy fanboy says he's not hurting the team this year. Maybe they think Meadows and Malloy could get some prospect helium and enter the PPI tier by the end of the year, but I doubt it.

Others, in rapid fire: Papierski and Knapp have both hit pretty well in Toledo for catchers. I wouldn't expect them to get the call unless there was an injury. Rogers has clearly established himself as the go-to catcher, and while Haase has tapered off this year, he does provide some flexibility playing capable outfield that those vets haven't. Jonathan Davis's opt out was ill-timed, as he would have gotten a shot a week later after the rash of outfield injuries. Kreidler's injury kept him from getting another shot. Donny Sands and Andre Lipcius haven't done enough to earn a call, and neither has Solak who was a one time decent starter for the Rangers. We'll see if Camargo can get going, but he is a definite churn option.

i dont think not having another right handed triple a bat who cant field in the lineup is that big of a deal.  so as a miggy fan boy, i will continue to say he's not really hurting the team this year.  certainly not in the long run when malloy turns out to be cristian stewart: infield edition.

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think not having another right handed triple a bat who cant field in the lineup is that big of a deal.  so as a miggy fan boy, i will continue to say he's not really hurting the team this year.  certainly not in the long run when malloy turns out to be cristian stewart: infield edition.

Cabrera hurts the team every year now.  When you've got a manager who mixes and matches as much as Hinch, you can't have a replacement level DH on your bench.

And don't talk that away about my adoted Tiger Justin Malloy.  He'll be at least as good as Raburn.    

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Cabrera hurts the team every year now.  When you've got a manager who mixes and matches as much as Hinch, you can't have a replacement level DH on your bench.

And don't talk that away about my adoted Tiger Justin Malloy.  He'll be at least as good as Raburn.    

let him cook in triple a.  no need to rush him here, he'd just strike out half the time.

12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It's true.

I do think the defensive piece is a huge factor for both Keith and JHM.... it's easy to point at the statline and say "call em up".... but they need to have a position to play at which they are competent. JHM isn't there yet, and I don't know that Keith (setting aside PPI and other considerations) is either from what I understand.

Keith admits that he was always a hit 1st guy and his coaches let him be that way so he had never applied himself to his fielding so now that he's working hard at, he may (or may not) find some unrealized upside. JHM is about 1/5 yrs older, should be further down that path/ His continued lack of progress - particularly how quickly they ended the try-out at 3B doesn't bode very well.                 

8 hours ago, buddha said:

let him cook in triple a.  no need to rush him here, he'd just strike out half the time.

I’d worry more about the defense than I would the offense.  Elmn at 3B?  That might attract viewers in a macabre way, but I’ll take a pass on that.