07/24/2023 1:10 pm EDT San Francisco Giants vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe. He's hitting .262/.341/.471 in 400 trips at Toledo this year but Fangraphs has his wRC+ at 98, which is right around league average. If we believe that number, it's likely he comes up and rakes at a 75 or 80 wRC+ level, which will have people screaming for Hinch's head for running him out there night after night.

Of course, if we don't believe that wRC+ number and think he'll hit like an All-Star, then by all means, come on up!

If you look at the trend, April was his worst month - his OPS has increased every month since. So that is what you'd be betting on.

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe. He's hitting .262/.341/.471 in 400 trips at Toledo this year but Fangraphs has his wRC+ at 98, which is right around league average.

Last 30 days, he's slugging .533 and has an .892 OPS. The overall trend, if the arrow is pointing upward, probably should count for something. 

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If we believe that number, it's likely he comes up and rakes at a 75 or 80 wRC+ level, which will have people screaming for Hinch's head for running him out there night after night.

A 75/80 wRC+ would probably be better than what Akil Baddoo has done over the past month, so not sure how would AJ be treated any worse than he is now when he is forced to run Akil Baddoo out there night after night.

Edited by mtutiger

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

A 75/80 wRC+ would probably be better than what Akil Baddoo has done over the past month, so not sure how would AJ be treated any worse than he is now when he is forced to run Akil Baddoo out there night after night.

Just to add, the "when he comes up and sucks..." rationale was a pretty popular one last year when people were wondering when Kerry Carpenter would come up....

We saw how that turned out.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Baddoo has 5 hits since Jun 1. Not looking at all like the hitter he teased he might be. Many big slow swings and misses, the short fast bat seems AWOL.

Not quite that bad but McKinstry is not exactly killing the ball since 6/1 either .207/.237/.327 stat line with a 52 wRC+. 

1 minute ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Not quite that bad but McKinstry is not exactly killing the ball since 6/1 either .207/.237/.327 stat line with a 52 wRC+. 

McKinstry might be the classic utility guy who can't hit because he's not getting regular at bats and stops hitting when he gets too many at bats.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Last 30 days, he's slugging .533 and has an .892 OPS. The overall trend, if the arrow is pointing upward, probably should count for something. 

It probably should count for something. I say, bring him up.

That said, you've been here long enough to see people clamoring to bring up this guy or that guy, only to want him and Hinch to walk the plank together when he flounders, so unless he comes up and rakes like Kerry Carpenter, I'm not sure it would be any different for Parker Meadows. If he did put up a 75 or 80 wRC+ to start with, I don't think people would be saying, well, at least he's better than Baddoo so I'm happy (whose wRC+ for the season is 83, BTW). I think they'll be more like, why didn't Harris sign a big free agent hitter this past winter??

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Just to add, the "when he comes up and sucks..." rationale was a pretty popular one last year when people were wondering when Kerry Carpenter would come up....

We saw how that turned out.

I've seen where people are now counting on Kerry Carpenter to lead us to the promised land along with TORK! and Riley. That was fast. 😁

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That said, you've been here long enough to see people clamoring to bring up this guy or that guy, only to want him and Hinch to walk the plank together when he flounders, so unless he comes up and rakes like Kerry Carpenter, I'm not sure it would be any different for Parker Meadows. If he did put up a 75 or 80 wRC+ to start with, I don't think people would be saying, well, at least he's better than Baddoo so I'm happy (whose wRC+ for the season is 83, BTW). I think they'll be more like, why didn't Harris sign a big free agent hitter this past winter??

I'm failing to understand any of this as a rationale not to bring up a different hitter than Akil Baddoo. Or that Parker Meadows might not be a better option at the moment.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

It probably should count for something. I say, bring him up.

Meadows is reportedly a better defender which might make a difference in how he's perceived if he struggles offensively.  I still think Baddoo should have spent more time in the minors, but you can't go back in time.  He'll probably have a hard time getting another extended shot in the majors.  

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm failing to understand any of this as a rationale not to bring up a different hitter than Akil Baddoo. Or that Parker Meadows might not be a better option at the moment.

Because I said don't bring him up, right?

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Meadows is reportedly a better defender which might make a difference in how he's perceived if he struggles offensively.  I still think Baddoo should have spent more time in the minors, but you can't go back in time.  He'll probably have a hard time getting another extended shot in the majors.  

Yea, Baddoo may need to change his approach and stance. I am not a hitting instructor of course (have coached youth league : ) - but IMHO he may need more of a open/lean back, bat closer to shoulder type angle... He has shown to have something in him (previously and at times), but his barrel rate is just too low. He is the type of player that 'could' do well at/in Comerica Park, but for awhile now that it has not been translating.

Hope he figures somethings out - and yes PMeadows will be at the door soon.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree with this if Meadows is an elite defender, which maybe he is, I honestly don't know either way. If he's merely better than average with the glove, or fails to make Quick Pitch with highlight plays, I think he'll still get raked for struggling at the plate.

I'm not sure what the calculation is with the front office. Maybe they don't want a repeat of the Tork situation where he got called up too early. Maybe they have plate appearance or time benchmarks where they are telling him basically no matter what, you're not getting called up until September, or until 2024. I mean, yeah, he's doing all right with his 98 wRC+, but he's not putting up the kind of otherworldly numbers where he's destroying the door that's keeping him from Detroit with his bat. So it wouldn't surprise me not to see him this year. But I hope we do. I'm just as eager as anyone else to see how he does on the big club.

Edited by chasfh

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Because I said don't bring him up, right?

I just don't get why it matters how fans react to a hypothetical world where Meadows is called up and there are some initial struggles.

Really, I'm not one of these "call 'em up" type guys, but at some point, you see results happening on the big league club with one young hitter really struggling (Baddoo) and then you see the results from another hitter (Meadows) who has seen his numbers ascend as the year has gone on in Toledo and it just hard not to question the idea that Baddoo cannot be demoted because there aren't any better options. 

And, unless he's used as trade bait for some reason, they will need to see Meadows at some point as well. Don't get the idea why now couldn't be that time, but ultimately the team is gonna do what it's gonna do.

28 minutes ago, alex said:

Yea, Baddoo may need to change his approach and stance. I am not a hitting instructor of course (have coached youth league : ) - but IMHO he may need more of a open/lean back, bat closer to shoulder type angle... He has shown to have something in him (previously and at times), but his barrel rate is just too low. He is the type of player that 'could' do well at/in Comerica Park, but for awhile now that it has not been translating.

Hope he figures somethings out - and yes PMeadows will be at the door soon.

Interesting about the stance. He started out pretty conventional. I don't remember when he changed but this is Akil in 2021:
image.png.0fd7eed982ea2bfe747dd04b5f938a0a.png

If I had to guess it would be he/they made a change to something that they thought might improve his coverage against LHP??

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you look at the trend, April was his worst month - his OPS has increased every month since. So that is what you'd be betting on.

Yeah, with minor leaguers hitting a new level, they don't always blow the doors off in their initial appearances. It stands to reason that shorter time-frame splits are kinda necessary to add context versus just leaning on the whole-year stat line.

Luke Gold, who was just promoted to West Michigan, is a good example.... he was horrendous during the first two months or so of the season in Lakeland, but ended up .269/.367/.428 upon promotion:

image.png.20065ff19e539a3f0b752a98b21c52c2.png

These are Meadows' monthly splits as well:

image.png.807f2f0c004fa5617b8db4cd6007d971.png

Not saying that Luke Gold is going anywhere long term or that Parker Meadows is a future star or anything, but from a player development standpoint, mastery of a level after initial struggles seems like the kind of thing that a system would want to see of a player to justify a move to the next level.

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I just don't get why it matters how fans react to a hypothetical world where Meadows is called up and there are some initial struggles.

Really, I'm not one of these "call 'em up" type guys, but at some point, you see results happening on the big league club with one young hitter really struggling (Baddoo) and then you see the results from another hitter (Meadows) who has seen his numbers ascend as the year has gone on in Toledo and it just hard not to question the idea that Baddoo cannot be demoted because there aren't any better options. 

And, unless he's used as trade bait for some reason, they will need to see Meadows at some point as well. Don't get the idea why now couldn't be that time, but ultimately the team is gonna do what it's gonna do.

Hypothetical fan reaction doesn't matter as to whether a team brings a guy up from the minors, which is why I didn't say it does. I mentioned it only as a point of interest, relevant to posts made in this forum in the past.

I do think the Tigers have an eye on Meadows' future controllability—or rather, I would be surprised if they disregarded it entirely—so unsavory though that idea may be, it might be part of the call-up calculus. If this were the reserve cause era, maybe the organization could freely shuttle guys up and down for their first six years of pro ball without any restrictions (not sure whether that was true even then). But maybe in the era of free agency and arbitration and Super 2s, teams are more circumspect about when to call up a guy and what that means to the finances of the team in the present and near terms.

We as fans can fairly rail against that very idea, because it's not really about on-field performance, but unlike the ridiculous idea of fan reaction dictating call-ups, which is easily disabused, the controllability of the player does factor into when the team believes the time is right to call a player up. Does this apply to Parker Meadows' situation? I'm an outsider, so I wouldn't know. But I do know enough to understand that these things do matter when deciding whether to call up a player, and if that is what's keeping Parker Meadows down on the farm, then that's the way it goes, and we'll just have to bide our time waiting for the front office to decide when the time is right for whatever their purposes are.

Edited by chasfh

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We as fans can fairly rail against that very idea, because it's not really about on-field performance, but unlike the ridiculous idea of fan reaction dictating call-ups, which is easily disabused, the controllability of the player does factor into when the team believes the time is right to call a player up. Does this apply to Parker Meadows' situation? I'm an outsider, so I wouldn't know. But I do know enough to understand that these things do matter when deciding whether to call up a player, and if that is what's keeping Parker Meadows down on the farm, then that's the way it goes, and we'll just have to bide our time waiting for the front office to decide when the time is right for whatever their purposes are.

Totally, I understand controllability and how it factors into the conversation.

My initial comment was simply about there not being better options below Baddoo.... at least taking controllability out of the equation and on pure performance, it's hard not to see the appeal of trying Meadows over Baddoo right now, and I think the production on both ends of the equation would easily justify it.