08/05/2023 1:10 pm EDT Tampa Bay Rays vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 minute ago, casimir said:

You know, there were times that Jones was trying to redirect the conversation to game strategy today.  Gibson has done this before, back to when he was broadcasting with Joshy.  Petry and Monroe have tried this before during the player broadcasts, too.  There just isn’t enough of it.  The conversation breaks down into something else like a squirrel just ran by a dog.  

four was probably too many. I thought the earlier players game with Jones, Monroe and Petry actually went better than the average Monroe/Shepherd game, though that's a pretty low bar.

Miggy is hitting nearly .340 in his last 40 games with 13 xtra base hits, I wonder if he keeps going this way that IF he wanted to come back next year if a team would give him an MLB contract next year? Just a hypothetical cause I truly believe he is hanging them up either way but just curious cause a few months ago it would've been insane to even think of the possibility that somebody would actually want him next year. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

four was probably too many. I thought the earlier players game with Jones, Monroe and Petry actually went better than the average Monroe/Shepherd game, though that's a pretty low bar.

Thank god the mlb app allows you to switch to the radio feed. And this year it's synched up pretty well. Apple TV offers the same, which I discovered yesterday thanks to a tip on here. Too bad you guys in blackout zone don't have that option. 

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm surprised Hinch didn't use a defensive replacement for Vierling in the 9th. Was that his f9rst game at 3rd base?

What, put Maton out there?😆

I think I want to see this experiment a bit more.  It allows for Baddoo, Greene, and Carpenter to all play on days that Cabrera is hitting.  And he’s been hitting lately, so why not?

6 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So sounds like Kenesaw Mountain would have loved the Hawk.

On April 19, 1927, Tyson called his first Detroit Tigers game, inaugurating the first full season of radio broadcasts for a Major League Baseball team. He quickly became a popular figure with the team's fanbase. When the Tigers reached the World Series in 1934, baseball's then-commissioner, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, barred Tyson from appearing on any of the network radio coverage, citing the risk of partiality in his commentary. After Tiger fans sent more than 600,000 letters of protest, Landis compromised by allowing Tyson to announce the Series locally on WWJ. Tyson went on to call the 1935 Series (which involved the Tigers, and ended in their first-ever world championship) and the 1936 Series nationally for NBC, and broadcast the 1941 All-Star Game (played at Detroit's Briggs Stadium) for WWJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Tyson

Full game broadcast from 1934, with Tyson on the mic. The Tigers were days away from clinching their first pennant in 25 years, so drew 29,000 on a Thursday. The amount of ads during the broadcast is insane. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Miggy is hitting nearly .340 in his last 40 games with 13 xtra base hits, I wonder if he keeps going this way that IF he wanted to come back next year if a team would give him an MLB contract next year? Just a hypothetical cause I truly believe he is hanging them up either way but just curious cause a few months ago it would've been insane to even think of the possibility that somebody would actually want him next year. 

It better not be the Tigers!  He is still below replacement level for the season.

I think if he really wanted to play and was willing to do so for minimum salary, some team would give him a shot.    

Edited by Tiger337

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It better not be the Tigers!  He is still below replacement level for the season.

I think if he really wanted to play and was willing to do so for minimum salary, some team would give him a shot.    

That's what I think as well. He's obviously completely 1 dimensional at this point and offers no versatility but looking around the league and seeing players that are rostered you would think that there would still be a place somewhere for a guy that can hit for the average that he can, even if it's only for a few games a week. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That's what I think as well. He's obviously completely 1 dimensional at this point and offers no versatility but looking around the league and seeing players that are rostered you would think that there would still be a place somewhere for a guy that can hit for the average that he can, even if it's only for a few games a week. 

I’d be pretty pissed if he did that.  The Tigers did the honorable thing by keeping him on the active roster all season and letting him retire with respect and on his terms.  He should retire as a Tiger.

Im glad to see him hitting well, and he seems to be enjoying himself, but he can’t feel great about hitting one HR on the season.  His skills would be even more diminished next year.

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

He needs to flip Foley and Lange.  And when Vest comes back, move Lange to the 7th inning to work through his command issues.

I guess it's a big ask mid-saeson, but it would make sense that if he can't control the sinker he should throw a 4 seamer - it's the more natural pitch to use with a curve anyway and maybe he could spot it well enough solve his problem.