#17 Michigan @ #100 Michigan State University

romad1

37 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, at the time Harbaugh was the hottest thing on the coaching market - past UM resume or not. It may have given him more rope, but Covid and financial considerations probably have more to do with why he is still here. I don't think R Rod was done in so much because he wasn't an Alum of the program as much as because Carr (and so in turn his loyalists) just plain didn't like him and had wanted someone else. As it transpired, maybe they did know more about him personally than the people that hired him. In any case I don't know how you separate how much of that dislike would have been any different if he had happened to have played football or coached here before. The 'Michigan Man' thing may be a convenient wrapper for the narrative and all things being equal I'm sure it figures in the overall story, but I think on the whole it's overrated. While playing to a market is certainly in their handbook, major college admins are in general not romantic people.

The funny thing is that even as Bo most famously used the term, it had nothing to do with being an alum of the U or the program because Frieder certainly already was - he was the coach. Bo's issue wasn't where Frieder had come from, it was where he had decided to go - as in he had decided to leave. To Bo, all that made Steve Fisher the "MichiganMan" as opposed to Frieder was that he was 'loyal' and Frieder had not been. Had nothing to do with either person's history. So the whole damn Bo historical "Michigan Man as a 'son' of the school" meme is based on nonsense.

The Frieder thing was because he took another job, so he was an Arizona State man at that point.   I get that.    But the way it's been applied since then because Bo said it,  like God said it or something. 

I think Frieder, who is a math genius and rumored to be able to count cards, wanted to be closer to Vegas.  LOL.  

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

So Cade was injured. 

2:1 Cade goes through the portal. He can see McCarthy is the golden boy. If I were Cade I'd be tired of criticisms and a coach that didn't feel he needed me in the game in critical situations. Objectively we can argue whether he had actually done enough to merit that level of confidence, but that's immaterial to whether the young man decides he would rather play somewhere else.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

2:1 Cade goes through the portal. He can see McCarthy is the golden boy. If I were Cade I'd be tired of criticisms and a coach that didn't feel he needed me in the game in critical situations. Objectively we can argue whether he had actually done enough to merit that level of confidence, but that's immaterial to whether the young man decides he would rather play somewhere else.

I think he played JJ the way he did this season to keep him from going to the portal.   You can't have 2 good QB's anymore.   The one who isn't getting played will just leave.    I think it was mishandled.  They had a couple of blowouts where they could have put JJ in for all or most of the 2nd half and it would have seemed like more of a natural way to get JJ some experience.  

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think he played JJ the way he did this season to keep him from going to the portal.   You can't have 2 good QB's anymore.   The one who isn't getting played will just leave.    I think it was mishandled.  They had a couple of blowouts where they could have put JJ in for all or most of the 2nd half and it would have seemed like more of a natural way to get JJ some experience.  

exactly. It's completely logical to give the kid extended time with a good lead and keep the experienced guy at the helm when the pressure is high. But not Harbaugh - no, he has to try to be clever and keep doing the 'unexpected' - that is stuff that he thinks is unexpected even if we've all come to completely expect and anticipate Harbaugh's idea of the 'unexpected'. In the meantime he keeps learning (or really, not learning) that the reason stuff he is doing *should* be unexpected is because they are generally losing strategies. He seems to be fine man, and I give him a lot of credit for being a coach that seems to do want to do right by players - his support of the easier transfer rules where he is at odds with most coaches is an example -- and all the extra outside experiences he has tried to provide his players, but  my lord, whatever his other virtues, he is such a terrible field general. 

Edited by gehringer_2

As mad as I am at Harbaugh and frustrated as I am about the game overall, I still think we got hosed on two key calls. This one below with Payton Thorne fumbling the football and the Reed catch that scraped the ground before he caught it. They called this a fumble on the field and had inconclusive evidence to overturn the call. This should have been left as a fumble call because you cannot conclusively tell when the ball came out versus when his leg/shin touched the ground.

On the Reed "catch" I still think the laces of the football grazed the ground before he hauled it in. But I think the call below was worse and way more costly for Michigan.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

On 10/29/2021 at 2:04 PM, buddha said:

that's an unrealistic standard for what michigan thinks of itself.

unless the university makes a decision to get in the gutter, they will not be ohio state.  until they agree to have zero academic standards for transfers, they will not be this year's michigan state.

that said, the best thing that could happen to michigan is that the playoff gets expanded.  more teams in means recruits will go to other schools outside the big 4 or 5.

You've hit on my biggest problem with the NCAA. There is no consistent expectation, across the board, for the importance of academics. Every school decides how much they're willing to pay in fines .. the penalties should be a bigger deterrent.

29 minutes ago, djhutch said:

You've hit on my biggest problem with the NCAA. There is no consistent expectation, across the board, for the importance of academics. Every school decides how much they're willing to pay in fines .. the penalties should be a bigger deterrent.

I don't expect all Colleges to have the same admission or retention stds, the institutions are too different from one another. What is silly is that they are all trying to swim in the same pool. It would make a lot more sense for the college athlete for the conferences to re-organize themselves so that similar institutions could agree on whatever requirements they wanted without getting pushback from other schools with different objectives in their current conferences. You could have an AAU umbrella conference with 4 divisions or so that operated on academic rules set somewhere between today's no scholarship Ivy League and the current BiG and they could play for their own championship and the SEC + whoever could do the same and play for theirs, and everyone could be happy and there could be a lot less chicanery,  except the people who only see the world through $$ signs. Unfortunately those are the people who get to make the decisions......

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

As mad as I am at Harbaugh and frustrated as I am about the game overall, I still think we got hosed on two key calls. This one below with Payton Thorne fumbling the football and the Reed catch that scraped the ground before he caught it. They called this a fumble on the field and had inconclusive evidence to overturn the call. This should have been left as a fumble call because you cannot conclusively tell when the ball came out versus when his leg/shin touched the ground.

On the Reed "catch" I still think the laces of the football grazed the ground before he hauled it in. But I think the call below was worse and way more costly for Michigan.

One play after the strip sack, Michigan got the ball back and went down and kicked a FG with no time left for State to do anything, so +3 to Michigan. If the TD had stood, Michigan State would have had had a minute and a half to at least get a FG, for a net of +4 to Michigan.

I rewatched the 1-hour condensed version on BTN yesterday and it reminded me of how many close moments there were late in the 3rd and early in the 4th that if they hadn't gone MSU's way Michigan still would have been in control. After the TD made it 30-20, could have stopped the 2 point conversion - did not. After MSU got the ball back down 8, Michigan could have stopped them on a 3rd and 10 from around the 20 - did not, by inches. On the next set of downs, could have stopped them on what I think was around a 3rd and 5 from around the 30 - did not, again by inches.  So many things had to have gone wrong for Michigan not to have won after being up 16.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

With Harbaugh this appears to be a feature, not a bug. Defensive coords come and go, Harbaugh's defenses remain unready for the snap.

I'd make the case that Tucker was exploiting exploitable college crap that doesn't exist in the pros and thus Mac wasn't ready for it. 

41 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I'd make the case that Tucker was exploiting exploitable college crap that doesn't exist in the pros and thus Mac wasn't ready for it. 

They're paying him a $million a year to be ready for it. I know lots of students that would be glad to accept a non-performance refund on his (or Harbaugh's) salary! Being beaten on the field is one thing, being unprepared to play is unacceptable.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. Harbaugh is just nowhere near an elite head coaching talent. He's not terrible. He may be as good as the U is willing to accept, but he isn't the guy Michigan football fan hoped he would be and that's not going to change.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They're paying him a $million a year to be ready for it. I know lots of students that would be glad to accept a non-performance refund on his (or Harbaugh's) salary! Being beaten on the field is one thing, being unprepared to play is unacceptable.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. Harbaugh is just nowhere near an elite head coaching talent. He not terrible. He may be as good as the U is willing to accept, but he isn't the guy Michigan football fan hoped he would be and that's not going to change.

He could still win out.  He probably won't but....

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

He could still win out.  He probably won't but....

Hey, if in Year 7 he still hasn't been to Indy, he should be out.     They can still get there, but they have to go undefeated the rest of the way, that would include beating OSU and having OSU and Penn State beat MSU.   I don't see that happening.  Any of it.  

On 11/2/2021 at 3:55 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Hey, if in Year 7 he still hasn't been to Indy, he should be out.     They can still get there, but they have to go undefeated the rest of the way, that would include beating OSU and having OSU and Penn State beat MSU.   I don't see that happening.  Any of it.  

He can't win big games, so he's not beating OSU. Lately, he's not even competitive against OSU. Were someone to ask me to make a prediction for the score of the UM/OSU game I would probably guess something around the 51-27 or 54-36. It's going to be a total bloodbath and Harbaugh has given me nor any fan a reason to think differently.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:55 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I think MSU is going to drop one and Michigan will go into OSU game with a chance to get to Indy and possibly the playoff only to crap the bed against them.  Either a blowout or heartbreaking loss, take your pick. 

They'll suck the fanbase back in only to crush their souls once more.