#17 Michigan @ #100 Michigan State University

romad1

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Harbaugh should be USC'd and fired when they land the plane.   I know they're taking a long, dreary, rainy, grey bus ride home, but they should put Harbaugh on a plane to Chicago just so he can return and they can fire him on the tarmac.   

Damn right, he has no business coaching another game at Michigan. He can't win big games or rivalry games. He can't win when he's a underdog. He can't develop a QB when he's allegedly a QB whisper. He rarely beats ranked opponents anymore. He's out coached at every turn. What is the point of keeping this guy around?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Damn right, he has no business coaching another game at Michigan. He can't win big games or rivalry games. He can't win when he's a underdog. He can't develop a QB when he's allegedly a QB whisper. He rarely beats ranked opponents anymore. He's out coached at every turn. What is the point of keeping this guy around?

I think he made a lot of money because of Andrew Luck.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Harbaugh's record vs. the 3 big rivals (OSU, MSU, ND)

4-9 ?   

Of those 4,  1 was against a good Notre Dame team, the other 3 were against MSU when they went 7-6, 3-9 and 7-6). 

How many signature wins does Harbaugh have...........He's had some nice ones, but the big moment?   I'll wait.  

He has, other than once against Notre Dame, no real signature wins to speak of. The guy is a complete punk, who turtles up and turns into a pumpkin in big games.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - yes that is the one saving grace for M - If not LSU then somewhere else and probably soon.

Ah, MSU will just hire the next guy to beat Michigan.  Probably PJ Fleck.  Or they'll pluck some MAC coach or Clay Helton and he'll beat Harbaugh too.  

Face it,  Michigan is in the group of has-beens like Texas, Tennessee, UCLA,  who just can't ever find their way back.   Should have supported Rich Rod and stuck with him.  

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Ah, MSU will just hire the next guy to beat Michigan.  Probably PJ Fleck.  Or they'll pluck some MAC coach or Clay Helton and he'll beat Harbaugh too.  

Face it,  Michigan is in the group of has-beens like Texas, Tennessee, UCLA,  who just can't ever find their way back.   Should have supported Rich Rod and stuck with him.  

I'm convinced Luke Fickell could turn this around, get it done here at Michigan, and compete with the big boys.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Walker is a complete beast.   He put the offense on his back the 2nd half.  How many times did he break 2 tackles and find daylight for a big play.  He treated a few all big-10 LB and S like they were high schoolers.   

Yeah, he was incredible.  Hes Marshawn Lynch level strong, and fast.

Michigan is suffering because of the stupid "Michigan Man" trope.    It was started by a guy who was not a Michigan Man before he came to Michigan, in fact, he had worked for OSU.    For you youngins the Michigan Man thing started when basketball coach Bill Frieder accepted the Arizona State job before the season ended and he wanted to coach Michigan in the tournament.  I can agree with Bo's stance, you can't be the coach of two teams at the same time.   

But it took on this mythic quality and when Rich Rod got hired and wanted to do things a little differently the old guard scremad HE'S NOT A MICHIGAN MAN and willfully and actively sabotaged him.  The over-practicing scandal that they got nicked on was an inside job.  Someone in the program stabbed Rodriguez in the back.  You know why?   They were going through way more towels.  I'm not shitting you.  That was how that whole "scandal" started.   Some old bitter blue blood (apparently from Lloyd's staff)  reported it.   When they lined up against Rich, it made him dig in his heels and become reluctant to listen to any advice about how to adjust defense to the Big Ten style.  I think he would  have come around if he's been given any breathing room.  His defensive talent was NFL-caliber and they soared under Hoke. 

But no, they'll stick with Harbaugh because he's a Michigan Man.  And if he leaves they'll go looking for a Michigan Man and get snobby when other guys are mentioned.    Talk to you after next year's loss to Michigan State, when we'll be talking about the same things. 

33 minutes ago, Kacie said:

LSU fires Ed Orgeron 2 years removed from a National Championship.  Harbaugh is still here and probably will be for years.  Sigh

not that long - they won't renew him but but he will probably finish this deal. 

This was such a typical Harbaugh loss though - A trick play that didn't work, and refusal to just stick with what is working: McNamara arguably rising to the occasion having the best day of his career, but Harbaugh has to be distracted by the shiny new toy and the result is a stalled drive and a turnover. Harbaugh to a 'T'. If the phrase "doesn't know how to win" has ever applied to anyone at the tactical level, it's Harbaugh.

Not to mention after 7 yrs his defense is still getting beaten to the snap. Stuff that should never happen.

Edited by gehringer_2

Bringing JJ in to start that drive after what he did the last time he touched the ball was the real head scratcher to me. Granted you can't plan for something that disastrous to happen but why even risk putting him in that position at that point?

I will say again though that I think MSU deserves a ton of credit though for how they played in the 2nd half. Walker was an absolute beast, no matter what Michigan tried they couldn't stop him and I don't think there should be a ton of shame in that. He's playing like the best player in the country so sometimes you face a guy that you can't stop. Then the one WR made for them made 2 spectacular 1st down catches(some may say that the one hit the ground), if he didn't do that then the drive probably stalls.  Sometimes teams can come back and it not be because the other team choked, sometimes you just play really well and I think that is what happened in this game. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I will say again though that I think MSU deserves a ton of credit though for how they played in the 2nd half. Walker was an absolute beast, no matter what Michigan tried they couldn't stop him and I don't think there should be a ton of shame in that. He's playing like the best player in the country so sometimes you face a guy that you can't stop. Then the one WR made for them made 2 spectacular 1st down catches(some may say that the one hit the ground), if he didn't do that then the drive probably stalls.  Sometimes teams can come back and it not be because the other team choked, sometimes you just play really well and I think that is what happened in this game. 

The 4th and 4 conversion from the 29 late in the 3rd quarter was a great throw and great catch. Michigan gets a stop and I think they would have soon turned a 16 pt leas into 19 or 23 soon after and that would have been all she wrote. 

The final interception was so skilled too. Up until that very moment I still expected Michigan to win. 

• Like 1

Do you realize that the last time Michigan won the Big Ten You Tube and Facebook didn't yet exist. 

Big Ten teams who have not even been to Indy

Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Purdue
Rutgers

And Minnesota may make it this year.        

Sad.  

But the 1940s, man...........they DOMINATED the 40s.   Let us tell you all about it.  

59 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But the 1940s, man...........they DOMINATED the 40s.   Let us tell you all about it.  

Can't. Fielding Yost is about to become another face erased from the team pictures.

(This one's probably merited though...)

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Michigan is suffering because of the stupid "Michigan Man" trope. 

IDK, at the time Harbaugh was the hottest thing on the coaching market - past UM resume or not. It may have given him more rope, but Covid and financial considerations probably have more to do with why he is still here. I don't think R Rod was done in so much because he wasn't an Alum of the program as much as because Carr (and so in turn his loyalists) just plain didn't like him and had wanted someone else. As it transpired, maybe they did know more about him personally than the people that hired him. In any case I don't know how you separate how much of that dislike would have been any different if he had happened to have played football or coached here before. The 'Michigan Man' thing may be a convenient wrapper for the narrative and all things being equal I'm sure it figures in the overall story, but I think on the whole it's overrated. While playing to a market is certainly in their handbook, major college admins are in general not romantic people.

The funny thing is that even as Bo most famously used the term, it had nothing to do with being an alum of the U or the program because Frieder certainly already was - he was the coach. Bo's issue wasn't where Frieder had come from, it was where he had decided to go - as in he had decided to leave. To Bo, all that made Steve Fisher the "MichiganMan" as opposed to Frieder was that he was 'loyal' and Frieder had not been. Had nothing to do with either person's history. So the whole damn Bo historical "Michigan Man as a 'son' of the school" meme is based on nonsense.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Are we trotting out that bit to try and defend Harbaugh now? I hope not. This loss was inexcusable given the lead they had coming out of half time.

Trotting?  I gather this was the reason they had JJ in the game at the critical time.  I was on a park bench watching this calamity on a cartoon screen because I'm too stressed to watch while my wife is screaming all her Sparty joy in the other room.   I couldn't watch after the beginning of the 4th quarter.  I knew this was going to shit as soon as it got to 8 points.

Edited by romad1