How to construct a Playoff/Champion worthy team, D Tigers V.2024+

1984Echoes

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The key to this IMO is how effective a pitcher is going through a lineup multiple times (at least twice, thrice is better... but it has to be at least 2 times...); if a pitcher can face a lineup more than once in a game and be effective then that guy deserves to be a starter.

I look at Faedo and think he'd be a great multiple inning reliever, but not as good as a starter.

Although G2 mentioned blister problems so if that is fixed, and was holding him back or killing his effectiveness by the time he faces a lineup a 2nd time.... maybe he still has hope as a starter?

TBD I think.

Either way, we have a lot of rotation candidates and a lot of multiple inning guys and Hinch & Harris are going to have to sort them all out.

I should clarify what I said about Faedo as a RP vs SP.  I think Faedo will probably be a candidate for spot starts or as a guy that comes in after an opener.  I think that's fine for him.  He's someone I'd have no problem getting through a lineup once and see where things are at that point.

image.png.43fe83fd73c9693e9847d9f4579600c6.png

HR rate doubles and SO/BB is cut in half the second time through.  Interestingly BABIP remains consistent (and I'll be honest, I didn't realize how low it was to begin with).

18 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Probably because over the last 4 years he hasnt pitched all that much...2020 didnt pitch at all and pitched around 150 innings in 2021 and 2023 and only 91 innings last year

That doesn't sound like the kind of 31-year-old I'd want to commit 5/100+ to.

18 hours ago, MIguy said:

Skubal, Manning, Olson, Faedo, Mize

Thinking about it more, I guess we don't even need E-Rod if all the other guys are healthy and do what they're capable of.  Not sold on Faedo yet but he did have a good WHIP this season.  

18 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

3 of those are coming off injury, 1 has 100 solid innings, and 1 will be in bullpen

Which is a good reason why we can't pencil four of them in for 30+ starts and 150+ innings.

I think they are going onto the market for at least one starter. It would not shock me to see Lorenzen come back—I think he certainly would like ti—although I could see them going with someone else as well.

17 hours ago, MIguy said:

There is zero chance the Tigers are going to outbid everyone else for Yamamoto.  Blake Snell would be nice but from what I'm seeing predicted, he could cost as much as 200 million.  I don't see the Tigers spending that much on a single player.  

East coast teams also have a harder time luring Pacific Rim players because of the time difference at home for games.

14 hours ago, casimir said:

I think the Tigers are going to have Faedo in the bullpen as a multiple inning pitcher.  I like that idea.  He’s not quite good enough to be a starter, but he’s got more stamina than a one inning pitcher.

Talking out of my ear here, I wonder whether the Tigers could be on the front lines of exploiting some sort of market inefficiency by developing pitchers specifically to go two to three innings, as a bridge between the starter and the back of the bullpen? You know, starter for five, long guy for three, then short guy for one, using three pitchers, as opposed to a string of one-inning guys after the fifth inning and using five pitchers for a typical game? I wonder whether a team getting one or even two of these long guys on their staff would relieve the pressure of having to use a bunch of one-inning guys in back-to-back games too often?

I would think one thing that would have to happen is the development of a training regimen distinct from that of starters and short guys, such that these long guys could be planned on for maybe 40-50 games a year and 100 or even more innings from the pen. Faedo might be a guy they could go in that direction with.

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Talking out of my ear here, I wonder whether the Tigers could be on the front lines of exploiting some sort of market inefficiency by developing pitchers specifically to go two to three innings, as a bridge between the starter and the back of the bullpen? You know, starter for five, long guy for three, then short guy for one, using three pitchers, as opposed to a string of one-inning guys after the fifth inning and using five pitchers for a typical game? I wonder whether a team getting one or even two of these long guys on their staff would relieve the pressure of having to use a bunch of one-inning guys in back-to-back games too often?

I would think one thing that would have to happen is the development of a training regimen distinct from that of starters and short guys, such that these long guys could be planned on for maybe 40-50 games a year and 100 or even more innings from the pen. Faedo might be a guy they could go in that direction with.

I don't know if the Tigers are leading a revolution.  I think we've seen one inning relief appearances for a while now, starting with LaRussa's bullpen specialization.  And now reduced outings from SPs are becoming more prominent.  At some point, there are going to be innings that need to be covered by someone.

From an ergonomic standpoint, I've wondered for a while what the difference would be on a pitching arm that goes 100 IP over 50 games and 100 IP over 80 games.  How do things like warm up pitches factor into a workload?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Fully on board with this... I've suggested it before.

The Tigers have several guys who could do this... Faedo, Holton, Brieske...

Maybe Wentz would pitch better like this... Also, we have lots more waiting in the wings who might be better as a 2-3 inning guy than as a starter... but we don't know yet how these guys will turn out: Flores, Dylan Smith, Montero, etc...

As opposed to Jobe and Madden as guys we'd hope stick as starters...

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I am on board.  I don't see Harris and Hinch as revolutionaries though.  I see them as trying to get the Tigers caught up with other analytical teams.  

Edited by Tiger337

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I am on board.  I don't see Harris and Hinch as revolutionaries though.  I see them as trying to get the Tigers caught up with other analytical teams.  

I think I see what you mean, but I also think the Tigers are farther ahead on pitching than many, if not most. They might be in a position to try it and succeed at it, if they so chose.

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

That is good forward thinking. I have heard Hinch allude to something like this towards season's end.

I do think they will sign 1 SP type if ERod opts in and 2 if not... The brass has to be well aware that you need multiple SPs (well beyond 6-7) to get through a season. Then a lot of luck needs to take place as well.

Simply, there are going to be P injuries (all positions actually of course) starting from ST and throughout the season for EVERY team. We should all perhaps know this by now.