How to construct a Playoff/Champion worthy team, D Tigers V.2024+

1984Echoes

13 hours ago, Adullin said:

Thats the rub. I really want the pitcher/hitter from the Angels Ohtani  But he is on record with his intentions to stay in California. Catcher Yasmani Grandal is a switch hitter. I like Chapman as well if we got those three I would be happy. To be greedy get Bellinger. 

Ohtani = pipe dream, he ain't leaving the Angels.

Grandal = 35 and on his last legs and won't give you what you think you're going to get with him.

Chapman = will be 31 next year and is DECLINING. Terrible suggestion. Too much money and too many years for a declining player? No thanks.

Bellinger is the one suggestion here that would be interesting. He can play 1B, and is only 28. A LH'er with pop and plate discipline and positional flexibility (OF and 1B) that can take some time away from Tork if he can't make further improvements or stay in the OF if Tork DOES make significant improvements... I would approve this signing if this is the direction Harris wants to go.

I also like Lee's suggestion of signing Jung Hoo Lee, I believe he is being posted this year as well as Yamamoto...

Except I don't think he has much power and he doesn't play 1B. If I had a choice of one I think I choose Bellinger over Jung, but adding either (or BOTH) allows Harris to make additional moves as Carpenter/ Baddoo most likely become expendable at that point...

Just my 2 cents.

35 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Wentz, Faedo and Brieske

Invalid comparison.

None of those guys were ever considered as anything more than 5th starters/ back-enders/ possible relievers. Faedo for several years has been looked at as targeted for the BP. And Brieske is already in the BP so moot point.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS:

Mize, Manning and Skubal.

Just to reiterate.

I was actually going to say Mize, Manning and Turnbull but I though it was too subtle.

Anyway, I would be willing to bet that none of Mize, Manning and Skubal becomes Verlander or Scherzer.  They are far more likely to become Fullmer, Boyd and Norris.  However, I am hoping they fall somewhere in between.   

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was actually going to say Mize, Manning and Turnbull but I though it was too subtle.

Anyway, I would be willing to bet that none of Mize, Manning and Skubal becomes Verlander or Scherzer.  They are far more likely to become Fullmer, Boyd and Norris.  However, I am hoping they fall somewhere in between.   

any bet that a young guy doesn't get to the HOF is going to be a good one! But sure, 3 guys who even crack above average starter status is probably enough to get you some division championships and they at least all have a shot at that. Manning just (!) has to stay on the field. I'm really curious to see what Mize has on his return. If the repaired back leads to a better fastball, maybe he will start to justify his 1/1 selection. I was not that impressed with his stuff before the injury.

23 hours ago, Toddwert said:

makes me wonder if Harris knows he's conservative so he brought in Greenberg as someone who's a little more agressive

My guess is that he approached this year as an assessment year and probably wanted to get a feel for this org before making really big moves.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

any bet that a young guy doesn't get to the HOF is going to be a good one! But sure, 3 guys who even crack above average starter status is probably enough to get you some division championships and they at least all have a shot at that. Manning just (!) has to stay on the field. I'm really curious to see what Mize has on his return. If the repaired back leads to a better fastball, maybe he will start to justify his 1/1 selection. I was not that impressed with his stuff before the injury.

Even Manning has not impressed me much.  Even when he is healthy, his performance is off and on.  Skubal is very impressive.  He just needs to stay healthy.  

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My guess is that he approached this year as an assessment year and probably wanted to get a feel for this org before making really big moves.

I don't really understand the argument that he has to see what he has for a year before making moves.  He has all the stats, videos and scouting reports he wants on demand.  He knew what he had in terms of players.  I can see the argument that he was focused on making off-field organizational changes and wanted get that all in place before making big moves.  

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They're already better than Fulmer-Boyd-Norris. I know we don't have a current rotation of HOF'ers... but they're already "in-between" as you are hoping for.

I brought up JV and Scherzer because everyone believes they are being SOOOO F'ing clever bringing up failures of the past.

Case in point:

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Wheatland, Baugh and Cornejo.  

This is who you ORIGINALLY listed...

WTF do those 3 guys have to do with Skubal-Mize-Manning-Brieske-Faedo-Olson-Gipson-Long, etc...?

Who are ALL pitching in MLB already, with varying degrees of success. From top-of-the-rotation starter to effective bullpen guys.

WTF is going on with these OH SO CLEVER listings of previous failures? Not to bash on you because you didn't start this... but it's actually F'ing annoying. And it adds NOTHING to the discussion of how to set this team up for success in 2024 and beyond.

/Soapbox.

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They're already better than Fulmer-Boyd-Norris. I know we don't have a current rotation of HOF'ers... but they're already "in-between" as you are hoping for.

Not true.  Fulmer by himself did as much in first two seasons (9.4 WAR) as Skubal. Manning and Mize combined so far (also 9.4 WAR).  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Not true.  Fulmer by himself did as much in first two seasons (9.4 WAR) as Skubal. Manning and Mize combined so far (also 9.4 WAR).  

No context whatsoever. An easy historical counting stat for you to refer to since Fulmer started out hot. How many WAR does Fulmer have in the 6 years since Fulmer put up that 9.4?

3?

I'll tell you what, I will bet as much money as you want that Manning Mize & Skubal put up more WAR starting in 2024 through the end of their careers than your 3 have their ENTIRE careers. You have a 27 WAR head start and still counting...

Wanna bet?

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

No context whatsoever. An easy historical counting stat for you to refer to since Fulmer started out hot. How many WAR does Fulmer have in the 6 years since Fulmer put up that 9.4?

3?

I'll tell you what, I will bet as much money as you want that Manning Mize & Skubal put up more WAR starting in 2024 through the end of their careers than your 3 have their ENTIRE careers. You have a 27 WAR head start and still counting...

Wanna bet?

This doesn't make sense.  You said that Manning, Mize and Skubal were ALREADY better than Fulmer, Boyd and Norris.  I showed that they aren't.  They might do better going forward, but they are not ALREADY better.  

Edited by Tiger337

I understand wanting to bring in Hader as bullpen help.  No doubt about the talent, and any team should welcome that kind of talent.  However, listening to one of the national podcasts the last week or two, his name came up as maybe becoming a bit more hard to handle in the clubhouse and only wants to pitch the 9th.  IF true, and I don’t know one way or the other, I wouldn’t be interested at all.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree on Mize and Manning. I can envision Skubal becoming deGrom lite, complete with injury proclivity.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I think this is true.  But I believe one or the other had mentioned that they didn’t always agree with each other in the past.  It’s not necessary a bad thing to have differences of opinion.  It’ll be how they work through those that will matter.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't really understand the argument that he has to see what he has for a year before making moves.  He has all the stats, videos and scouting reports he wants on demand.  He knew what he had in terms of players.  I can see the argument that he was focused on making off-field organizational changes and wanted get that all in place before making big moves.  

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Yeah, if somebody needs a year to know what they have in today's information age, that's a problem. I could see the "well, let's see how players improve with different processes in place" line though.

My worthless guess is it’s probably a bit of all of the above.

As far as the video/stats/reports on players are concerned, sure, there was information available to Harris on his first day.  But how much of that was relevant or how was it prioritized on day one vs how Harris wanted it to be?  Just because there was preexisting information doesn’t mean it was useful or utilized correctly.

I am intrigued to see what Harris and company have in store this off-season.  I don’t quite know what to expect. I have my own ideas what I’d like to see, but I don’t want to project that onto what I think Harris do.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I understand wanting to bring in Hader as bullpen help.  No doubt about the talent, and any team should welcome that kind of talent.  However, listening to one of the national podcasts the last week or two, his name came up as maybe becoming a bit more hard to handle in the clubhouse and only wants to pitch the 9th.  IF true, and I don’t know one way or the other, I wouldn’t be interested at all.

That wouldn't stop me.

I would take that calculated risk, along with the shut-down talent and the 9th inning (only) lock.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

This doesn't make sense.  You said that Manning, Mize and Skubal were ALREADY better than Fulmer, Boyd and Norris.  I showed that they aren't.  They might do better going forward, but they are not ALREADY better.  

WAR is not the ONLY measure of comparable.

58 minutes ago, casimir said:

... My worthless guess is it’s probably a bit of all of the above.

As far as the video/stats/reports on players are concerned, sure, there was information available to Harris on his first day.  But how much of that was relevant or how was it prioritized on day one vs how Harris wanted it to be?  Just because there was preexisting information doesn’t mean it was useful or utilized correctly.

I am intrigued to see what Harris and company have in store this off-season.  I don’t quite know what to expect. I have my own ideas what I’d like to see, but I don’t want to project that onto what I think Harris do.

And aside from stats.. there are also personalities involved.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Yeah, if somebody needs a year to know what they have in today's information age, that's a problem. I could see the "well, let's see how players improve with different processes in place" line though.

This is probably the more artful way to articulate what I was saying.