How to construct a Playoff/Champion worthy team, D Tigers V.2024+

1984Echoes

On 8/31/2023 at 3:47 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Lot of kids coming up next year I think...

I expect Malloy, Keith, Eddys Leonard and Wenceel to make their MLB debuts. Parker already has. And there are other guys with shots to break into MLB next year as well (IMO): Jung may have an outside shot, Lipcius maybe, Dingler?

It'll be interesting to see what these guys turn into. At this point, nobody knows... but we'll find out soon.

It actually looks like more attention will need to be spent on the pitching staff than on offense... crazy, given how this year has gone. I expect all these kids, even though they are kids and just breaking into MLB... to give us a decent enough offense to contend.

If we lose Eduardo though... Who can we depend on to start next year and lead the staff? Skubal? Turnbull? Mize? Manning? Just too many question marks here.

It's why I would NOT be bothered at all to buy out Eduardo's opt-out option. He wanted + 1 more year at $20 mill at the trade deadline to do that? Hell yes, I say. Do it.

And then we could still use another Lorenzen-type vet for stability and innings IMO.

What say you?

It seems there are a lot of position players to sort through, but its still debatable what the lineup could be heading out of Lakeland.  Further maturation of the Carpenter/Greene/Torkelson bats would be helpful.  I'm just not sure that's enough stability in house to be competitive enough.  Baez is just so questionable anymore.  Everyone else returning just doesn't have the floor/ceiling and/or are too young to count on giving the offense enough of a boost.  

Pitching is going to need some help.  The rotation, in particular, doesn't seem to have the adequate 40 man depth heading into next season.  Personally I wouldn't count on Turnbull or Rodriguez returning.  Mize is still in recovery/rehab mode, so what are the reasonable expectations out of him next season?  Skubal, Manning, Olson, and Mize seems rather thin to start with.  They're going to need help here.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Tigers will talk to Baez about his role on the team beyond this season? If playing time is not guaranteed and they view him more as a UT player, conveying that to him as he is pondering his opt-out would be in both sides best interests.  If Javy elects to stay, he would be doing that with “eyes wide open.”

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Communication is great, but they could tell him they are converting him to 3rd string catcher and it wouldn't change the fact that he is not opting out of $98MM.

That may be true...

But I still like the idea of telling him straight up right after the season ends that "we will be phasing you out as a starter". Just the thought of that, being replaced by Short, or Kreidler, or Eddys Leonard... could spur a different decision.

But you are probably right... No way he passes up that money for the free market at this point.

6 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Communication is great, but they could tell him they are converting him to 3rd string catcher and it wouldn't change the fact that he is not opting out of $98MM.

If the Tigers were to tell Javy he's not considered part of the future of this team and said they were relegating him to a backup role exclusively if he stayed, I'd bet he'd opt out. That's not going to happen, though.

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If the Tigers were to tell Javy he's not considered part of the future of this team and said they were relegating him to a backup role.....

And why would you? Your best hedge is to wait until at least the end of ST to see what work he may have done on the off-season and how well he does. I think Javy knows  full well he has to get shorter to the ball, but that kind of adjustment is not easy for anyone to do on the fly. Assuming he's not opting out, the Tigers have nothing to lose by not burning any bridges that would preclude him making some level of comeback, regardless of what the probability of that looks like now. There is certainly a chance you could persuade him to opt out, but it could as easily blow up in your face as a high profile and (likely successful) MLBPA grievance. Not to mention it sounds very un-Ilitch-like.

Edited by gehringer_2

52 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Sounds like a job for Adduci.  He knows people.  What percentage of that 98 million saved can they offer him?    

Funny you mention him.  I was at the Mud Hen game on Sunday.  As we were walking by the former strip joint that’s now a pizza place (or is that just a front?) on the RF corner, some guy that sorta looked like him was standing in the doorway and stared me down as I walked by.  I just so happened to be wearing my old English C hat.  You don’t think that he recognized me from this place, do you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Funny you mention him.  I was at the Mud Hen game on Sunday.  As we were walking by the former strip joint that’s now a pizza place (or is that just a front?) on the RF corner, some guy that sorta looked like him was standing in the doorway and stared me down as I walked by.  I just so happened to be wearing my old English C hat.  You don’t think that he recognized me from this place, do you?

was it a knowing look ?

21 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Anyone have knuckles rapped against the noggin'...?

When I would forget my homework (3rd or 4th grade...? Happened quite a bit...) Sister Mary would rap me on the noggin' as hard as she could and: "Knock, knock. Who's there? NOBODY."

Yeah, I also remember that the nuns were not so big on the concept of validating the humanity of the children in class. 😅

Edited by chasfh

I was hit in the head with a clip board by a public school teacher because I couldn't (or wouldn't because I hated the guy) answer a question when called upon.  This was junior high school.  I was very quiet and all the teachers tried to embarrass me into talking more which of course made me talk less.  The only one who left me alone was the math teacher.