How to construct a Playoff/Champion worthy team, D Tigers V.2024+

1984Echoes

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - it's it's not going to be easy to upgrade the offense this off season in the FA market. If the team breaks through next season it will most likely be because  the pitching remains a strength.

I don't know if it's a strength.  They are middle of the pack in most statistics.  They have gotten good contributions from a lot of pitchers, but they have a hard time getting pitchers to succeed for a full season.  Until they can do that, I wouldn't call their pitching a strength.  

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know if it's a strength.  They are middle of the pack in most statistics.  They have gotten good contributions from a lot of pitchers, but they have a hard time getting pitchers to succeed for a full season.  Until they can do that, I wouldn't call their pitching a strength.  

Taking the whole season, there isn't much to see, but break it down and their runs allowed per game has fallen from 4.85 pre ASG to 4.3 since, which is solidly below league average, so if you are looking at the current state of the staff, they are doing well. Olsen, GL, and Skubal have been upgrades over Turnbull, Boyd, Faedo, 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Taking the whole season, there isn't much to see, but break it down and their runs allowed per game has fallen from 4.85 pre ASG to 4.3 since, which is solidly below league average, so if you are looking at the current state of the staff, they are doing well. Olsen, GL, and Skubal have been upgrades over Turnbull, Boyd, Faedo, 

I don't have confidence that the current state of the staff will carryover to next year.  It could be just a matter of timing of injuries and hot streaks.  None of Skubal, Olsen and Long, the main reasons for their good second half, have succeeeded for a full season.  There is also the problem of the first half stats which were bolstered by two pitchers that probably won't be with them next year.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't have confidence that the current state of the staff will carryover to next year.  It could be just a matter of timing of injuries and hot streaks.  None of Skubal, Olsen and Long, the main reasons for their good second half, have succeeeded for a full season.  There is also the problem of the first half stats which were bolstered by two pitchers that probably won't be with them next year.  

True, but in the end in sports you are what you did. :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I prefer to look at what they did for the full season.  If we take what they did this year and transfer it to next season with the same number of innings, they would still need a lot of help.  

I'm still relatively optimistic about the starting pitching.  Gipson-Long hasn't proved much yet of course. OTOH we have Alexander and Mize coming back and we are assume they will make at least one ERod level signing.

OTOH, I am less confident about whose going to be pitching the 8th and 9th. Foley is a good reliever, but I don't see him as being a dominant kind of guy, and I'm not real high on Lange. Don't see anyone else on the current roster that profiles as a 9th inning guy so to me that's an issue beyond the hitting needs.

59 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm still relatively optimistic about the starting pitching.  Gipson-Long hasn't proved much yet of course. OTOH we have Alexander and Mize coming back and we are assume they will make at least one ERod level signing.

OTOH, I am less confident about whose going to be pitching the 8th and 9th. Foley is a good reliever, but I don't see him as being a dominant kind of guy, and I'm not real high on Lange. Don't see anyone else on the current roster that profiles as a 9th inning guy so to me that's an issue beyond the hitting needs.

There aren't a lot of relievers who dominate every year, but there are a lot of guys who are good for a year or two.  The Tigers finally seem to be good at identifying and developing those guys, so I am not too worried about the bullpen.  They have a number of promising starters, but I keep coming back to the idea that they don't have one pitcher on their staff that has been dominant for a full year.  

I really think that Faedo, Wentz, Gipson-Long, Brieske and maybe even Olsen, will end up in the pen and a few will be successful at it.  Also, don’t be surprised if we see some combination oh Hurter, Flores and Madden next season.  That might not be a good thing, though, as it probably would be out of need (I.e. injuries or poor performance).  Reese was called up that way—he wasn’t pitching well in AAA, but we had a need.  And he has developed nicely.  Add Mize and Turnbull into the mix, and I’m not very concerned with our pitching depth.  Keeping or replacing ERod would be nice.

Thats the rub. I really want the pitcher/hitter from the Angels Ohtani  But he is on record with his intentions to stay in California. Catcher Yasmani Grandal is a switch hitter. I like Chapman as well if we got those three I would be happy. To be greedy get Bellinger. 

Seems like Harris’s deal with the Braves is working out pretty nicely so far, and everyone seems to like it. So I can see us doing as a centerpiece deal a Foley-plus for a J-Hen-type plus, a guy who plays a position of near-term need, controls the strike zone, and is pretty close. Someone like Justin Foscue from the Rangers, or maybe even Jett Williams from the Mets.

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Name those bats.

dumb question... we  dont know whos available  on the trade market we dont know  who's agent is talking to what name... its like me asking you to name 3 women im going to marry.... 3 bats Ohtani , Bellinger and Jackson Holiday

Edited by Toddwert

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

dumb question... we  dont know whos available  on the trade market we dont know  who's agent is talking to what name... its like me asking you to name 3 women im going to marry.... 3 bats Ohtani , Bellinger and Jackson Holiday

dumb response.

We know exactly who's going to be a FA this year.

Oh look, you just named 3 bats!