How to construct a Playoff/Champion worthy team, D Tigers V.2024+

1984Echoes

53 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

On this current roster, either Soto or Tatis would make Greene and Tork better.  

Both guys are 24, so I’m not worried about their contracts, unless we’re required to commit to a 15-year deal.  We need the impact bat that is likely not in the organization.

The Padres were one of the most underachieving teams ever, so I'm not sure Soto and Tatis made players better.  

• Like 1

I also love Yamamoto. Not going to be an easy get though. My customers in Tokyo say Cashman has been living in Japan and their money's on NY but hey they are also just baseball fans like us. As for Hader he is the best.  Not sure about the mileage on his arm and at $100 million it would suck to have a Diaz like repeat like the Mets. But if 1984Echoes gets his wish I won't complain. And we do have the $$. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yamamoto or Snell plus Jung Hoo Lee.  Trade Carpenter and a young infielder for a 2B/3B who can field.  Not sure who is available.    

I like Baltimore's Jordan Westberg. He's young, right-handed and can play excellent third or second so whichever Keith can play he's got the other covered. Not sure Baltimore would trade him but they are very deep with infielders. 

23 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: On Soto or Tatis...

I'm signing Bellinger and sticking him at 1B; and then trading Tork, Carpenter, and whatever else is required for Tatis. Let the Padres take a chance on Tork's (potential) further development and I'll take Bellinger and Tatis.

Just a thought...

Manning and Baez for Xander Bogaerts ? Thats 100 million in salary relief for the Padres.

6 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I like Baltimore's Jordan Westberg. He's young, right-handed and can play excellent third or second so whichever Keith can play he's got the other covered. Not sure Baltimore would trade him but they are very deep with infielders. 

I think we need to try to pry one of the Orioles young infielders away... they cant play them all

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Alternatively, because I don't think the Orioles will let go of their 20-something IF'ers that are already in Baltimore... I would look at AAA for a blocked IF'er...

That would be Coby Mayo, who plays 3B (and also 1B), is RH'ed with power. I don't know if he's that great of a fielding 3B'man.... but I think the only way you pull a Westburg out of Baltimore is for them to have a better 2B option... Or for them to like Mayo better than Westburg and move Gunnar from 3B to 2B (he's played SS so I'm just guessing that he could handle 2B without any issues...); making Westburg available.

Are we proposing going after other team’s infielders because we don’t think Keith or Jung can play there?  Personally, I’d let them play and prioritize a corner OF (as insurance for Carpenter) and C.  Really, I’d only prioritize C.

I’d be OK with this roster:

C Rogers, TBD

INF: Tork, Baez, Keith, Ibanez, McKinstry, Jung (All-Star break or sooner)

OF: Greene, Meadows, Carpenter, Vierling Malloy (DH)

it would be shocking if the Tigers are able to finish at .500 - let alone contend for the playoffs - while starting 3, and later 4, rookies. I am looking forward to seeing what Meadows, Keith and Malloy can do, but I also know that it is entirely possible, if not likely, that they all see some time in Toledo next year, as well.

I think people should be more realistic about Jung for 2024; he has only 200 PA above A ball; if he gets a September 2024 call-up, that would aggressive considering Harris' usual approach.

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

it would be shocking if the Tigers are able to finish at .500 - let alone contend for the playoffs - while starting 3, and later 4, rookies. I am looking forward to seeing what Meadows, Keith and Malloy can do, but I also know that it is entirely possible, if not likely, that they all see some time in Toledo next year, as well.

I think people should be more realistic about Jung for 2024; he has only 200 PA above A ball; if he gets a September 2024 call-up, that would aggressive considering Harris' usual approach.

Perhaps you’re right about Jung, but Zach Neto was called up this past season.  Jace has the pedigree—if he does stay down for the season, it will likely be to work on his D.

37 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Parker will still be a rookie but has 1800 professional AB, he may not have the hitting talent in the end but his depth of experience should help him. The other two likeliest callups are Keith and Malloy and each is right about 1000 MiLB AB. Ups and downs certainly more expected there. The other guy who we might we see that also has a lot of time in already is Wenceel - over 2000 pro AB. 

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Parker will still be a rookie but has 1800 professional AB, he may not have the hitting talent in the end but his depth of experience should help him. The other two likeliest callups are Keith and Malloy and each is right about 1000 MiLB AB. Ups and downs certainly more expected there. The other guy who we might we see that also has a lot of time in already is Wenceel - over 2000 pro AB. 

I wonder if they will protect Wenceel on the 40-man this year? I’d like to see him stay, but he’s quickly getting passed up by others.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Alternatively, because I don't think the Orioles will let go of their 20-something IF'ers that are already in Baltimore... I would look at AAA for a blocked IF'er...

That would be Coby Mayo, who plays 3B (and also 1B), is RH'ed with power. I don't know if he's that great of a fielding 3B'man.... but I think the only way you pull a Westburg out of Baltimore is for them to have a better 2B option... Or for them to like Mayo better than Westburg and move Gunnar from 3B to 2B (he's played SS so I'm just guessing that he could handle 2B without any issues...); making Westburg available.

You are probably correct about Westbrrg but they can use pitching. I don’t think Mayo is any better than Keith at 3B which to me it’s Westburg or pass. Baltimore is deep in talent. They lost 100 games only two years ago and won 100 this year. Maybe take it all. I see this and it makes me angry we lost so much time with Al. If we had kept Paredes. Darn!! 

13 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

We're so below market in allocated funds that spending money on Hader is a drop of spit in the bucket.

Maybe, maybe not.  It depends upon what Hader gets and what else is available.

They don't have to spend right away in free agency.  Just where it makes sense to do so.  The bullpen could use help, but maybe getting a couple of back end possible / more stamina type arms would be better than just Hader.

What are the thoughts on what it might take to keep E-Rod?  The number I keep getting stuck in my head as to what he's worth is 5 years @ 20 million per.  Would you be in favor of keeping him around if it meant renegotiating his contract and giving him a bit more per year and for a longer term?   

29 minutes ago, MIguy said:

What are the thoughts on what it might take to keep E-Rod?  The number I keep getting stuck in my head as to what he's worth is 5 years @ 20 million per.  Would you be in favor of keeping him around if it meant renegotiating his contract and giving him a bit more per year and for a longer term?   

Harris came out and said he is not negotiating with ERod pre-opt out. He's gone; and they won't lift a finger to dissuade him.

43 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Movin' on.....