09/17/2023 4:07pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Angels

casimir

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

MLB.com shows Diaz as today’s starter. Is it a bullpen day?

I’m looking forward to seeing ERod pitch against the Dodgers.  They might have a chip on their shoulder over the rejection, but they also just clinched and might not really care about that.

That seems like the kind of thing fans would care about more than players. 

I don’t recall a west coast trip like this so late in a season for the Tigers.  I don’t like them to begin with because there’s just now way for me to watch the games with my work schedule.  And now when I’m trying to squirrel up some baseball before the season ends, blech, not a good schedule for that.  Yeah, I know, first world problems.  A lot of us are around the same age or older and recall when not every game was available on TV to begin with.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

MLB.com shows Diaz as today’s starter. Is it a bullpen day?

I’m looking forward to seeing ERod pitch against the Dodgers.  They might have a chip on their shoulder over the rejection, but they also just clinched and might not really care about that.

It was either Diaz or Short.

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's September 17th and we still have not been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs/division title yet! Progress??

If the Tigers go 8-5 the rest of the way (probably a tough ask with 3 at the Dodgers coming up), their 78-84 would mean they played almost a full season at a game over .500 after the 2-9 start. 

Twins are 79-71 so probably will end up winning 85 or 86 games. That’s still low for a division winner but not unprecedented  

Edited by lordstanley

15 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If the Tigers go 8-5 the rest of the way (probably a tough ask with 3 at the Dodgers coming up), their 78-84 would mean they played almost a full season at a game over .500 after the 2-9 start. 

Twins are 79-71 so probably will end up winning 85 or 86 games. That’s still low for a division winner but not unprecedented  

I think we’ll take 2 of 3 from the Dodgers.

Sports weekend for me:

Friday night poker:  $20 buy in.  I left with $18.   Tigers win a righteous laugher with Skubal pitching really well. 

Saturday:  Softball House team i coach grinds out a tough loss because a superb pitcher and her caddy catcher decide they needed innings and they helped us out.  The only runs we give up are my own daughter having a rough inning.   MSU loses like they just lied to everyone in the program about how much trouble their coach was in and then everyone in the program basically decided to give a crap effort against a good Washington team...or maybe they were not capable of a good effort because their coach wasn't good.   Michigan has a hiccup and our Heisman candidate QB loses his Heisman in three quick ill-advised throws.   Still alive for all their other goals but not great.  Maybe the suspension was bad.  Maybe Michigan needs Harbaugh.   Tigers cough up a lead but squeak out a win in extras with a Miggy RBI which feels nice. 

Sunday:  Daughter's Softball travel team I do not coach but merely watch and wonder about,  loses first game on some flubs -- one involving getting picked off third of my daughter.  Then shellacked by the other travel team in which the girl who I taught how to hit is the catcher.  This occurs while Lions have a complete meh to whatever defensive performance.  But the Tigers win a game in which their catcher of the now and next few years HRs twice.  My buddy and I watch the final minute of the Broncos Commanders game and Russell Wilson gets a hail mary to drop/bounce and land in the hands of his WR but they fail the 2pt conversion. 

All-in-all it was a weekend. 

Edited by romad1