Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Pretty big pay discrepancy between Mario and Rod, if that report is accurate.  Basically doing the same job, the same amount of time.  I guess it’s more difficult to find a good PBP than an ex-player to do color—those guys are plentiful.

If I remember right by that time Mario was working almost every game, while Allen was down to a time share with Gibson and Morris.

Since new front office people like to hire people away from of their former employers, perhaps we end up getting Alex Cohen from the Iowa Cubs, or maybe even Johnny Doskow from the Sacramento River Cats. Holy Koudelka!

Naaah, this will be Bally’s call …

Edited by chasfh

47 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I don't think it will be Bally's call. I think Harris will give a name to Bally and they will rubber stamp it. 

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

One of the articles said Bally makes the final call with approval from the Tigers.

If Bally goes belly up and MLB takes over, I bet the Tigers make the call in that case. The Padres and Dbacks didn't change broadcast teams when their Bally affiliate went bust.

I think the bottom line is that Bally is responsible to do all the leg work but the team can blackball any name they put forward. I would guess that means the Bally people will keep pretty close counsel with Harris from the beginning to avoid wasting their time chasing down someone he's going to veto.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

In an effort to appeal to a younger audience, I suspect we’ll see a PBP guy (or gal) under 40.  Johnny Kane is over 40, but has a youthfulness to him.

I’m looking forward to Shep’s replacement with cautious optimism.

IIRC I heard Kane doing PBP on something - don't remember what though. My recollection was he was better when he had a specific task in front of him than when trying to wing it and invent fill time with some rookie's family.

Folks, poke around the twitter follows for Mike Ferrin. A lot of Tigers people who don't follow a lot of outsiders follow him and not many other national announcers. Reading the tea leaves...

I could see his series with Dickerson turning a lot of heads. He did a great job that weekend, maybe was brought in for a reason.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Folks, poke around the twitter follows for Mike Ferrin. A lot of Tigers people who don't follow a lot of outsiders follow him and not many other national announcers. Reading the tea leaves...

I could see his series with Dickerson turning a lot of heads. He did a great job that weekend, maybe was brought in for a reason.

interesting.... I havent noticed him til now

Here are is a page of the TV work Mike Ferrin wants you to hear, so make your own judgment based on this:

http://www.mikeferrin.com/tv-mike.html

His pipes are not high-pitched, necessarily, but quite reedy, which I feel like works well for radio, especially minor leagues or college. He sounds a bit like the main Cubs TV guy, Boog Sciambi. It’s also hard to get a feel for how Ferrin lets a whole game flow, or how informative he can be, from just these examples. He did include a chemistry clip here, so he wants us to know that yukking it up with his partners is solidly within his skill set.

He seems like he would be a perfectly serviceable hire for a mid- to low-level team. His chances might depend on how well he can make love to Bally promos, plus how little the Tigers will object to him.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

He seems like he would be a perfectly serviceable hire for a mid- to low-level team. His chances might depend on how well he can make love to Bally promos, plus how little the Tigers will object to him.

I suspect that what big money owners see in a broadcaster is probably the opposite of what I would want, so I wouldn't be concerned if the Tigers got a mid- to low-level broadcaster.  

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

She and Monroe would fit well together.  

I had several of those times where I was approached by players, asking very respectfully if I could refrain from making the comments public. Out of respect for my professional relationship with them, I agreed to abide by their wishes.

Nothing says objective journalism like covering stuff up

I can understand dealilng with things said on a case by case basis.  If it's of a personal or private nature, fine.  I don't care about gossip.  If it's about the game or something between the lines, then it's fair game and a reporter is under no obgligation, especially if it's said in front of a lot of other reporters too.  Nobody's going to give you credit for holding back a scoop because some 20 year old minor leaguer asked you to.

43 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was assuming Tenacious suggested Emily Walden just to stir the pot.  

I assume so too. But there has been a move the past 3 years to move more women into the booth for PBP or color. Have seen it on a very limited basis in college football (decent Beth Mowins), on NHL national TV broadcasts (Leah Hextall disaster) and overseas with stuff like the Rugby World Cup and English premier league soccer. 

Edited by lordstanley