Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

If they are bringing CMo back there was no point getting rid of Shep. They could bring in the best PBP guy in the world but the rest of them are going to drag the broadcast down. Either elevate your whole game or don't bother. It's like firing the manager and expecting the mediocre team to improve.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

If they are bringing CMo back there was no point getting rid of Shep. They could bring in the best PBP guy in the world but the rest of them are going to drag the broadcast down. Either elevate your whole game or don't bother. It's like firing the manager and expecting the mediocre team to improve.

482950628-kansas-city-royals-v-detroit-tigers.jpg.webp.44ee17daeeb25d95c2e036a75560bfce.webp

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

How many guys are going to take one look at who their supporting case is going to be and politely decline the offer to interview? Probably most anyone worth their salt.

10 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

In all seriousness, I think it behooves us to remember that Shepard was fired not by Scott Harris and the Tigers, but by Bally Sports Detroit, who have different imperatives than the Tigers when it comes to their end of the business. The front office may or may not have input into the decision, but the decision rests solely with BSD. Whether the new announcer is a baseball cognoscente is probably beside the point—it's pretty likely that all BSD cares about is that the new announcer represents and sells the product in the most audience-pleasing way possible.

I gotta believe the only reason Shepard was fired all all was probably the same reason Avila was fired, or maybe even why Jeimer was let go: the public outcry around him rose to such an elevated level that the castle could not ignore the pitchforks and the torches any longer. I think it's likely that the feedback they were getting was that Gibson and Maybin and Monroe are great, but Shepard was pretty awful. So it's entirely possible they will find someone in the Shepard mold, and that might well be Greg Gania from Erie as some here prefer, or maybe even Dan Hasty from West Michigan as some here don't. But I think I would be surprised to see them steal away a Dan Orsillo- or Joe Davis-level talent for the Tigers. I honestly believe the viewers don't require or even care about that level of quality. If they did care, they would have wanted to run Gibson and C-Mo out of the booth years ago.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In all seriousness, I think it behooves us to remember that Shepard was fired not by Scott Harris and the Tigers, but by Bally Sports Detroit, who have different imperatives

And of course, BSD is a dead-man walking entity itself. The people that made this decision could themselves be gone at any time.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And of course, BSD is a dead-man walking entity itself. The people that made this decision could themselves be gone at any time.

That's fine, BSD will make the decision as long as they have the obligation to do so, and MLB will simply inherit whoever is on the crew once they take over the broadcast.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

In all seriousness, I think it behooves us to remember that Shepard was fired not by Scott Harris and the Tigers, but by Bally Sports Detroit, who have different imperatives than the Tigers when it comes to their end of the business. The front office may or may not have input into the decision, but the decision rests solely with BSD. Whether the new announcer is a baseball cognoscente is probably beside the point—it's pretty likely that all BSD cares about is that the new announcer represents and sells the product in the most audience-pleasing way possible.

I gotta believe the only reason Shepard was fired all all was probably the same reason Avila was fired, or maybe even why Jeimer was let go: the public outcry around him rose to such an elevated level that the castle could not ignore the pitchforks and the torches any longer. I think it's likely that the feedback they were getting was that Gibson and Maybin and Monroe are great, but Shepard was pretty awful. So it's entirely possible they will find someone in the Shepard mold, and that might well be Greg Gania from Erie as some here prefer, or maybe even Dan Hasty from West Michigan as some here don't. But I think I would be surprised to see them steal away a Dan Orsillo- or Joe Davis-level talent for the Tigers. I honestly believe the viewers don't require or even care about that level of quality. If they did care, they would have wanted to run Gibson and C-Mo out of the booth years ago.

this is from freep story:

The Tigers and Bally Sports Detroit decided to part with Shepard after taking feedback from fans, executives and industry professionals. The decision to replace Shepard developed over time based on a lengthy evaluation process.

10 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

this is from freep story:

The Tigers and Bally Sports Detroit decided to part with Shepard after taking feedback from fans, executives and industry professionals. The decision to replace Shepard developed over time based on a lengthy evaluation process.

LOL - Lengthy process?  I guess the read the ratings reports verrry slowly.

42 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

No reason to make a public call on CMo or anyone else.  They can shuffle them throughout the pre- and post-game shows, basically marginalizing whomever they want to.

I would be fine with Monroe on the pre or post game, but please keep him far, far away from the radio booth. 

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I would be fine with Monroe on the pre or post game, but please keep him far, far away from the radio booth. 

I tend to be agnostic on guys like CMo. If we applied the standards that we're talking about Morris and others then guys like Jim Price would have no business in the broadcast booth as well.

To take it a step farther maybe they should have kept Ralph Kiner and Phil Rizzuto out of the booth as well

19 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I tend to be agnostic on guys like CMo. If we applied the standards that we're talking about Morris and others then guys like Jim Price would have no business in the broadcast booth as well.

To take it a step farther maybe they should have kept Ralph Kiner and Phil Rizzuto out of the booth as well

To me the thing with Monroe is that I know he could be better than he is. He forces things when he is in the booth, and there is always too much force or tension or growl in his voice. He'd be much better if he'd lose that and just be normal. That and his basic game breakdown sucks. I'm close to catatonic with the number of times he has told me that a guy who has absolutely zero intention to is going to try to 'use the big part of the field'.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me of how anytime there was a base open and a pitcher threw ball 1 to a good hitter Rod would always say "yeah he doesnt want anything to do with him, he's just gonna put him on 1st base", maybe 1 out of every 10-15 times he would say that it would actually end up being the case but the overwhelming majority of the time it would just be because the pitcher just happened to throw a ball cause they're not perfect. 

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I didn't mind CMO one bit.  He was a gentleman with my mentally handicapped brother when he asked for a picture.   Seemed like a good voice to have.  Read that as ... yes Detroit is a predominantly african american city...maybe have a voice that reflects that in the booth.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KL2 said:

One name to watch: 

Wayne Randazzo

Is this based on anything? He just finished his first year with the Angels, but I know they have had announcer retention issues. This did get me poking around the Big Ten Network roster, and one name came up. Jason Ross Jr. is very young, a bit down the BTN depth chart, but was doing Lions preseason games this year and appears to have Detroit roots. Another name that came to mind was Kevin Brown if he wants to peace out of Baltimore after his suspension.

Edited by Edman85

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

No offense to CMo and Gibby, great players, great people but I've had enough of their color commentary. Personally, I do like Petry and if they wanted to somehow combine the tv and radio broadcasts, I'd be fine with that.

He's a very sage voice on these broadcasts. 

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

No offense to CMo and Gibby, great players, great people but I've had enough of their color commentary. Personally, I do like Petry and if they wanted to somehow combine the tv and radio broadcasts, I'd be fine with that.

if I have to hear Gibby acting like we've never watched baseball before

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Is this based on anything? He just finished his first year with the Angels, but I know they have had announcer retention issues. This did get me poking around the Big Ten Network roster, and one name came up. Jason Ross Jr. is very young, a bit down the BTN depth chart, but was doing Lions preseason games this year and appears to have Detroit roots. Another name that came to mind was Kevin Brown if he wants to peace out of Baltimore after his suspension.

Just his Midwest ties, the fact the angels are clearing house, he has little ties to the org and I'm sure apple would prefer him more central for their games. While he just started with the angels it's Bally and money makes everything happen.

Plus I wanted to throw out a name that wasn't Mario for dicussion.

Edited by KL2
  • Like 2

A few others who worked national MLB games this year that I don't think have full time gigs with a team. Not endorsements, just throwing names out:

• Rich Waltz
  • Matt Vasgersian
  • Kevin Kugler
  • Siera Santos

I'm a big fan of Mike Ferrin, but again, not sure he wants it. Looking at the Big Ten Network as a possible feeder, I mentioned Jason Ross, but Connor Onion is another. There are probably several minor league announcers who will put in beyond Gania and Hasty, from other orgs.

• Like 1

Not advocating necessarily nor do I know if he even has the skillset for it but would they consider just moving Johnny Kane to the booth if he showed interest in the job?

Kinda seems like a move Bally would make, instead of spending the time or resources searching for a bigger/proven name just give the job to the next man up so to speak.