Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

2 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

What's happening with Bally? Are they going out of business or what? Are they stuck in a contract with Bally or could they revamp the whole broadcast?

Who had the Vic Tanny joke...I want to bump that.  That slayed me and I still giggle at that whenever i hear Bally's this or that.

Edited by romad1

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

Who had the Vic Tanny joke...I want to bump that.  That slayed me and I still giggle at that whenever i hear Bally's this or that.

and for anyone who wants to know the genesis of that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Total_Fitness

In 1983, slot-machine and arcade game manufacturer Bally Manufacturing purchased Health and Tennis Corporation of America, entering the leisure industry and creating the Bally Health and Tennis Corporation division of the company. It also purchased Lifecycle (Life Fitness), an exercise bike manufacturer, renaming the company Bally Fitness Products.[2]

In 1987, Bally was the world's largest owner and operator of fitness centers. It further expanded with the purchase of the American Fitness Centers and Nautilus Fitness Centers, which were once connected to Vic Tanny and Jack LaLanne.[citation needed]

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

If you’ve ever listened to his podcast, you would say hard pass.  Very sugary and optimistic—that would wear thin fast.

The Masters thing was funny, though.

Yeah, I see him on Twitter.  He is a pleasant guy but he's like a labrador receiver.  Everything thing that happens is the greatest thing ever.    

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I like Johnny Kane.  I don’t want to, cause he’s a pretty boy, frat guy, but I find him likable and skilled at doing the lighter, human interest stuff.

He’s the very least of our problems.

I feel the same way. you really want to hate him but he seems like a pretty decent guy and I found out hes older then i thought.

While I think the Tigers can improve the situation, I do have a bit of empathy for Shepard.  I’ve got to think as a professional broadcaster born & raised in Michigan, this had to have been a dream job for him.  It’s got to be an absolute gut punch to lose that opportunity.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

While I think the Tigers can improve the situation, I do have a bit of empathy for Shepard.  I’ve got to think as a professional broadcaster born & raised in Michigan, this had to have been a dream job for him.  It’s got to be an absolute gut punch to lose that opportunity.

Agree. I feel bad for the guy, but this was the right decision.  He’ll get a gig on local sports talk radio.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Self inflicted wounds IMO. Matt knows baseball, he could have acted and talked like he knows baseball and he might have made it work - at least better than he has done. When all Shep does is play the fool to the ex-player, you never get an actual discussion or counterpoint view on anything - and when the ex-player has nothing to offer but stock phrase platitudes like Monroe, you don't get very good baseball analysis. 

Maybe it was noble of him to take on the mantel of trying to make poor to mediocre color guys look better, but his first responsibility was to the listener, not his partners.

• Like 1