November 2023 Games

lordstanley

I was listening in the car when the Wings looked to be going on a 4 minute PP and then suddenly the refs changed their mind and said no penalty, something about it being on the "follow through".  What's that all about, I thought high sticking was high sticking? 

Edited by MIguy

39 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I was listening in the car when the Wings looked to be going on a 4 minute PP and then suddenly the refs changed their mind and said no penalty, something about it being on the "follow through".  What's that all about, I thought high sticking was high sticking? 

Back in my day you had to be responsible for your stick no matter what...but in the rulebook if it is a follow through on a shooting motion then it isn't considered high sticking, I didn't see the play but my guess is that.

50 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So, if the Wings end up going with 2 goalies, could Husso be the man out? 

I guess anything is possible depending on trade value, but I hope not. I’d be fine with keeping Lyon over Reimer though if that’s what the Wings decide. 

Edited by lordstanley

Also going out on a limb (but not really, in my mind...):

This team is capable of making the playoffs.

I know there are ups and downs (we've just been through a few weeks of those...), breaks and bad breaks, and injuries and such... 

But this team seems to have the right amount of depth and talent to make it that far. If we struggle a bit, Lalonde can just juggle lines, or goalie schedules, or call up Edvinsson or one of a few others ripening at Grand Rapids...

So... we'll see. But I'm optimistic for the playoffs after this nice response to the doldrums of the past few weeks. It's just this type of adjustment(s), and getting some wins after a rough patch, that makes me believe we can make it.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: Wins over Jersey and Boston are definitely sweet...

And I think the Wings turned the corner, at least for now, during the 1st intermission of the Ottawa game in Sweden. Down 4-0, they came storming back to tie after regulation, and get a point out of the game. They then outplayed Toronto for two periods, quite decisively, before coughing up a 2-goal 3rd period lead and losing in regulation. Strong games from start to finish against Jersey and Boston. So they've been the better team in 10 of the past 12 periods. Not relying on a hot streak from one or two players, or a super high powerplay % like early in the season - this seems sustainable. Still would be hard to climb much above the playoff bubble, but no reason now they can't contend for a wildcard spot into the final weeks.

Edited by lordstanley

58 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

And I think the Wings turned the corner, at least for now, during the 1st intermission of the Ottawa game in Sweden. Down 4-0, they came storming back to tie after regulation, and get a point out of the game. They then outplayed Toronto for two periods, quite decisively, before coughing up a 2-goal 3rd period lead and losing in regulation. Strong games from start to finish against Jersey and Boston. So they've been the better team in 10 of the past 12 periods. Not relying on a hot streak from one or two players, or a super high powerplay % like early in the season - this seems sustainable. Still would be hard to climb much above the playoff bubble, but no reason now they can't contend for a wildcard spot into the final weeks.

interesting to see how they treat the trade deadline.

dealing boston's pick doesnt seem so bad now, lol.  will they deal their own first round pick to get a player at the deadline?  

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

20 games is pretty much the 1/4 mark of the 82-game season. The WIngs are matching the Leafs' 1/4 record or better, which is what I mostly care about, lol. On pace for 102 points. Have created some separation over other playoff contenders like NJ, Buffalo and Ottawa.

Screenshot (1562).png

flyers and caps.  lol.