Week Twelve: Green Bay Packers (4-6) @ Detroit Lions (8-2)

MichiganCardinal

Goff's agent will obviously be looking for the biggest and best deal, but I feel like Goff has a career redemption arc that can only be completed in Detroit.

He still has the chance to be seen as Detroit's franchise QB, the guy who finally got them a playoff win, even multiple wins over multiple seasons. But if Detroit moves on from him after next season, his age 30 season, the press will label him as a "journeyman" QB.

His best long-term option is to stay with Detroit, even if his extension is not at the top of the market, even with Hooker waiting in the wings. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

true, but the lions were much healthier than the packers.

They looked like they figured the Packers might be easy and that is very unlike Dan Campbell.  They were sleepwalking in that first quarter yesterday,  that was inexcusable.     You simply can't play like that against ANYONE in the NFL.     

I think the Lions fall in love with their own hype sometimes.   Hopefully getting embarrassed on national TV (for the 7th straight year) makes them a bit angry and hungry. 

But we didn't need help with the pass rush at the trade deadline.  We're fine.   

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Zero? 4-1 on the road but a zero % chance of winning?

Look at who you're trying to reason with. It's a fruitless exercise trying to help those who don't want to be helped.

I'm pretty down on the team as well but saying there's "zero" chance they win in New Orleans against the .500 Saints is pure rubbish but TP does love those piping hot takes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MIguy said:

I hate how the first answer people almost always come up with to fix a defense is "blitz more".  If blitzing was the answer, everyone would be doing it all the time.  The Lions already have a trash secondary, what do you think is going to happen when there are a couple less bodies hanging back to stop players running free? 

Because rushing 4 isn't working so why not try something different? You know when the Lions defense looked best this season? When they blitzed more frequently. The best way to protect a suspect secondary is by giving them less time to cover. You do run the risk of a bigger play happening but there's also a better chance to stop those intermediate plays that constantly kill the Lions and a better chance of forcing a mistake by the QB especially these mediocre ones they've been playing most of the season.

I hate to pile on but we haven’t talked about some of the issues going on at Free Safety.  

We are at 3 games in a row that a coverage was missed and led to a wide open guy in the middle of the field for an easy TD.  I love the athleticism and ability of both Joseph and Walker but first and foremost they have to do their job and protect against the big play.   They are the last line of defense and are supposed to be the deepest man.   These are things that need to get cleaned up and both of these guys have to get better mentally to match their physical gifts.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I hate to pile on but we haven’t talked about some of the issues going on at Free Safety.  

We are at 3 games in a row that a coverage was missed and led to a wide open guy in the middle of the field for an easy TD.  I love the athleticism and ability of both Joseph and Walker but first and foremost they have to do their job and protect against the big play.   They are the last line of defense and are supposed to be the deepest man.   These are things that need to get cleaned up and both of these guys have to get better mentally to match their physical gifts.  

Pretty sure it was Walker who got beat on that 50 yard bomb to Watkins. A better safety (CJGJ?) would have picked it off. Walker is a thumper in run support but is not getting it done in pass defense.

Also, there was a Reddit post that claims CJGJ was getting into it with Joseph on the sideline yesterday. I couldn't make out who the people were in the video, but it was clearly a guy in a Detroit uniform going at it with a guy in street clothes. 

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

Look at who you're trying to reason with. It's a fruitless exercise trying to help those who don't want to be helped.

I'm pretty down on the team as well but saying there's "zero" chance they win in New Orleans against the .500 Saints is pure rubbish but TP does love those piping hot takes.

Actually, if someone were to be technical about chances, it's 50-50. They'll either won or lose. But if they want to talk odds, that's much different. But yeah, some people stress the negative. 

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

Because rushing 4 isn't working so why not try something different? You know when the Lions defense looked best this season? When they blitzed more frequently. The best way to protect a suspect secondary is by giving them less time to cover. You do run the risk of a bigger play happening but there's also a better chance to stop those intermediate plays that constantly kill the Lions and a better chance of forcing a mistake by the QB especially these mediocre ones they've been playing most of the season.

I remember one play yesterday where Love dropped back, had a ton of time with nothing open so he stepped to his right and had ALL the time he wanted to find an open receiver. And yes, it's nearly impossible, for even the very best secondary, to cover receivers for that long. Totally impossible. 

• Like 1