Week Twelve: Green Bay Packers (4-6) @ Detroit Lions (8-2)

MichiganCardinal

8 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Looking at the rest of the Lions schedule, I could see them slumping even worse, finishing the season at 9-8 and losing out on the final wildcard spot to the Seahawks. 

I seriously doubt it. Not that it's not possible, of course it is, but the highs are too high, even during this frustrating slump. The Lions for three quarters today were clearly the better team. They put up 41 on the Chargers. They had three masterful drives against the Bears.

It's obvious that the talent is there, both players and coaches. It's a matter of putting it all together for 60 consecutive minutes that's the problem. Even playing like they are now they should be able to sneak another 3-4 wins out.

I'd love to see them go put a beat down on the Saints. It would really assuage my worries. How they did the Panthers and Packers (first game) this year, or the Jaguars last year. Go out and be the clearly better team we know they can be.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think the offense can be said to run through the left guard…

It does seem implausible but the offense has looked out of sync without him. 31.5 ppg with him, 27.6 without him. But Goff’s worst games have been with Jackson on the sideline. 

Edit: On Sorsdal’s no good awful horrible Thanksgiving. https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/11/lions-bench-rookie-ol-amid-struggles-to-contain-packers-pass-rush.html

Edited by Jason_R

They have to blitz more.  

I understand not wanting to risk leaving the defense exposed for an explosive play.   The reality is this defense running their base package are always at risk to give up an explosive play.  Damned if you do and damned if you don’t, so why not put more pressure on the opposing QB and force him to make quick decisions.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They have to blitz more.  

I understand not wanting to risk leaving the defense exposed for an explosive play.   The reality is this defense running their base package are always at risk to give up an explosive play.  Damned if you do and damned if you don’t, so why not put more pressure on the opposing QB and force him to make quick decisions.   

I'd love to see that. Like you said, the defense is already vulnerable to explosive plays even when they drop 7. What would be the argument against frequent blitzing? The other team completing a pass they'd complete anyway? Glenn needs to draw up something to make the QB's life hell in these games

Honest question. We used to dog out Matt Patricia and his DCs for their low blitz rate, only rushing 3 or 4 so many times it got comical, pass rush win rate,  the lack of total team sacks, the lack of QB pressures and hurries, etc. Fans here on this board and across the Lions universe were rightfully harsh on Patricia for his piss poor, ineffective pass rush.

So why do Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn get a pass for their defensive coaching and schemes when their blitzing and ability to get at the QB is nearly as bad? Sure, they're 8-3 and Patricia could only dream to have that type of record. But when you compare the raw stats, our current defense under Glenn is barely better in this category than it was under the previous regime of Poncho Villa.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I hate how the first answer people almost always come up with to fix a defense is "blitz more".  If blitzing was the answer, everyone would be doing it all the time.  The Lions already have a trash secondary, what do you think is going to happen when there are a couple less bodies hanging back to stop players running free? 

Vikings personnel got worse from last year to this year.  They went from a team that rarely blitzed to a team that always blitzes.  They have seen significant improvement in their defense. Blitzing, and sticking with it, matters.  Aaron Glenn isn’t an nfl level coach. He has no idea what he is doing.  If Campbell doesn’t remove him then Campbell is part of the problem too.  

33 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I hate how the first answer people almost always come up with to fix a defense is "blitz more".  If blitzing was the answer, everyone would be doing it all the time.  The Lions already have a trash secondary, what do you think is going to happen when there are a couple less bodies hanging back to stop players running free? 

Players are already running free

8 hours ago, MIguy said:

I would say blitzing makes more sense with a bad defense than a good defense because bad defenses have to take more chances.  Kind of like Campbell going for it on 4th down deep in Lions territory.  Bad defenses force coaches to take more risks.  

• Thanks 1

in two games you guys have gone from "super bowl" to "regime change in the coaching staff."  lol.

the lions remain what they have been all season: a solid team that is a tier below the real contenders.  theyre not san francisco or philly.  theyre probably not even at dallas' level.  but if they can eke out enough wins for a home playoff game, they should be able to beat a new orleans/atlanta/minnesota at home.

its hard to win in the nfl when you turn the ball over as much as they have in the last two games.  they've played two bad games in a row and are 1-1 in those games.  hopefully goff hasnt turned into a pumpkin and they can come back and beat the bears.

No, I never thought this was a Super Bowl team, but I thought getting to the NFC Championship game was a real possibility, but now I don't think they can win a playoff game if that defense continues playing so horribly early in games.    

I don't say a regime change is necessary, but I am kind of pissed off that at the trade deadline  the Bears got Montez Sweat for a 2nd rounder and the Niners got Chase Young for a 3rd while the Lions made one stupid needless trade for a 4th (5th) WR, who's only impact so far has been lining up in the neutral zone (dumbest kind of penalty).     There was a SCREAMING need for another pass rusher.    People slam Hutch for not getting to the QB this year.   Yeah, he's double-teamed all the time.  Get one of those other rushers and you free up Hutch a bit.     

If they look anything like they did in the 1st quarter on Thursday, then they probably aren't winning this division.  The Ravens and Chargers exposed them and AG has yet to come up with something, anything to counter that.   The defense has been the worst in football for a month now.   We were lucky that we caught the Raiders in full mutiny (and Jimmy G sucks),  we caught the Chargers with a horrible defensive-leaning head coach who can't coach and the Bears - with another coach who took the ball out of the hands of the guy who was destroying us all day, but yesterday was rock bottom, worse than the Ravens because half the Packers starters were hurt, it was a home game and Jordan Love ain't Lamar Jackson.   The defense did a good job after the first quarter, but the first quarter was so absolutely horrible that it didn't matter.     And now, they are really facing a dilemma - do you pay $40 million to this QB?    Not so sure about that.  he's good when everything's perfect, but he can't overcome, he can't change the game and the idea that they can expect anything from Hendon Hooker next year is absurd.    But I guess it's good to find this out now.    Goff is costing himself money the last 2 weeks.     

They are absolutely better.  The fact that we expect a win every week proves that, but they are a year or two years away from peaking, but the biggest failure of this season was the trade deadline.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

in two games you guys have gone from "super bowl" to "regime change in the coaching staff."  lol.

the lions remain what they have been all season: a solid team that is a tier below the real contenders.  theyre not san francisco or philly.  theyre probably not even at dallas' level.  but if they can eke out enough wins for a home playoff game, they should be able to beat a new orleans/atlanta/minnesota at home.

its hard to win in the nfl when you turn the ball over as much as they have in the last two games.  they've played two bad games in a row and are 1-1 in those games.  hopefully goff hasnt turned into a pumpkin and they can come back and beat the bears.

I think they would have a better shot on the road than at home. At home they are a dreadful football team. I think they have played one good home game, the lowly panthers.  Bears, Seahawks, packers and raiders were all horrible football.  They aren’t prepared to play at home. That’s on the coaches. 

Goff is Jekyll and Hyde. If he has to run for his life it is going to get ugly. But if he has time to throw he can have games where he produces like a top tier QB. He’s been through these cycles before so I’m not concerned that he’s broken. 

I’m more concerned that Detroit pays more for its OL than any other team, they can’t get their starting lineup on the field, and they thought their best option at LG was a rookie who had laid an egg the week before.

29 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

If you extend Goff you will relegate yourself into the middle tier and that will be the end of any chance of winning the Super Bowl in this era. 

it will be interesting to see how hendon hooker looks in pre-season next year.

goff will be here for at least next year.  maybe the year after if they franchise him.  im still not sure goff is a long term answer at qb.

that's why brad holmes gets paid the big bucks, to figure this stuff out.